1. Try The Zello app for your phone and join the Truckingboards channel to talk live in real time .... It's Free get it for Apple or Android.. It's like a phone CB Radio... You can lurk or talk , your choiuce just don't mess with your phone while driving. Zello features: • Real-time streaming, high quality voice • Contacts availability and text status • Public and private channels for up to 2500 users • Option to map hardware PTT (Push To Talk) button • Bluetooth headset support (selected phones) * Android Wear support • Voice history • Call alert • Images • Push notifications • Works over WiFi, 2G, 3G, or 4G mobile data

XPO union thread.

Discussion in 'XPO Logistics' started by upnorth, Oct 12, 2016.

1. ScotchNeat

ScotchNeat Well-Known Member

So I find this TDU article about UPS in another thread and I came across a particular sentence I wanted to share. Here is the sentence below in quotes.
    "The Teamster Package Division sent the company a letter yesterday objecting to its plans to subcontract out union work."
    Does anyone find a hint of union propaganda in that sentence, as I have?

whip1 likes this.
  2. joes bar and grill

joes bar and grill Well-Known Member

That was in response to UPS wanting to hire contractors to deliver in their POV. Sounds to me like they are trying to protect jobs, that is part of their job.

30yearman, troubleman84 and sucker666 like this.
  3. sucker666

sucker666 Well-Known Member

You can read it either way I guess. Ups is not going to jeopardize their reputation on Last mile like type of contractors. Their whole key to success is a uniformed trained stable work force. ( Xpo Las mile could take some lesson here )

It's all hot air to put pressure on during talks happens every negotiation. You don't mess with success. Those Ups guys will come out of those contract talks at $40 hr.
    That's how collective bargaining works. Both sides put their stuff on the table and work towards an agreement.

I would spend more time worrying about us working for one of the less worker friendly employers out there.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    icuicp likes this.
  4. toilet paper

toilet paper Well-Known Member

At least we have a contract that limits the use of contractors. How will you protect your jobs from these elchepo contractors file a grievance?

5. ScotchNeat

Sounds
    See Joe, you fell for it. The quote referred to the jobs as "union work." Is it union work? Does the union own those jobs? No. Can the union protect that which it does not own? No. UPS owns the work and they can farm it to anyone they wish. Granted, the union can and will complain about it, but in the end, UPS owns that work and isn't required in any way, to capitulate to union demands to keep the work going to union workers. IMO, everything the Teamsters gets out of UPS is because UPS decided it would be so, not the Teamsters. I know my explanation might sound knit picky, but it pisses me off the way the Teamsters and other unions attempt to convince the labor force that they have more power than what they really do.

highspeeds and ROUGHBOY like this.
  6. joes bar and grill

joes bar and grill Well-Known Member

Yes the Teamsters can protect that work, no UPS cannot do as they please, it's called a contract and BOTH sides must abide by it.

7. sucker666

The company is obligated to a binding contract by law. A company can not legally circumvent a union workforce by hiring non union workers at a facility that has union workers . If what you say was the case then Ups could simply start a non union entity to do the same job. That is not allowable under the law. Now that being said it's possible they could take a long term approach such as Cf did by starting a non union entity claiming it operates differently then Ups package and eventually phase out Ups package and have the new non union entity survive but that takes a long time as it did with us.
    I know because I lived through that whole process working here.

8. sucker666

Also you say the Teamsters at Ups have no power. I think 20,000 of them walking off the job " IF" it came to Ups doing what they wanted might qualify as having some power . They have a say we don't. We are employees at will . Xpo can let you go for no reason and there's nothing we can do about it. That Sir is no power.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  9. Serene Gene

Serene Gene Well-Known Member

My god, that sounds terrible. What awful person would want to take that beautiful freight from LTL drivers pulling long boxes?

highspeeds likes this.
  10. Songremainsthesame

Songremainsthesame Well-Known Member

Yes I'm talking $70,000 but working at straight time.

sucker666 likes this.
  11. Serene Gene

What trimming has he done to tenured drivers since the buyout? Memory is a bit fuzzy at my age, but I seem to recall some raises. Pension is still there. Family medical less than 30 dollars a week. Vacation? Same. 401k? Same. Even kept the serious benefits like XM radio. Still having cookouts and handing out awards. What have we lost in the last 2 years other than the color blue? When exactly does the sky start falling, chicken little? You're starting to remind me of those doomsday prophesies on small town AM radio. Armageddon tomorrow, unless it isn't.

We are not, and will never be, UPS- or Teamsters.

12. Songremainsthesame

Songremainsthesame Well-Known Member

I heartily agree as an OD employee they should pay overtime to the hourly guys. 55 hours a week (decent average of what the city guys work) is an awful lot of time to ask an employee to be at work.

icuicp and sucker666 like this.
  13. Serene Gene

If that's true, why does XPO still use walkabouts? Final Mile is the largest last mile provider in the country- surely they can pick up our slack if it gets their foot in the door. If the goal was to phase us out for subcontractors, why isn't Final Mile still in Philly? Why aren't they in Salt Lake? I'm sure there are other locations that could use some cheap labor in the midst of a driver shortage.

14. sucker666

My focus is not on tenured drivers only. New guys get less vacation in the long run, a smaller 401k match the medical insurance is crappy once your have a medical event ( don't just focus on the premiums as the company wants you too) the meat and potatoes of the coverage is not what it was ( tenured and new) and if I was a betting man I would bet it's only a matter of time before we are all offered the pension buy out but time will tell.

icuicp and freightman68 like this.
  15. sucker666

And some of us are already Teamsters .. thank you.

And more soon. Wink

joes bar and grill likes this.
  16. Serene Gene

So we really haven't lost anything- I thought not. Your focus is on the new drivers because you can use them to stir up the resentment, greed, and jealousy that the union machine feeds on, not because you just love them so very much.

Not nearly enough to matter. It's alright- even the Browns have fans.

17. sucker666

Your the one who made it a point to focus on tenured drivers and create division. I think its unfair that the new guys have sub standard compensation . Guys like you are only concerned about yourself .

18. sucker666

And come on it's more work for you.

19. ScotchNeat

With the private workforce being less than 7 percent unionized and the Teamsters a smaller percentage within that, I stand by what I said earlier. I also think that getting 20,000 UPS drivers to walk off their jobs isn't realistic because too many of them don't want to go without a paycheck for any length of time, so your point really doesn't carry much, IMHO.

Serene Gene likes this.
  20. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

You may be right. But the only strike I ever participated in was UPS strike of '97

SAC75 and sucker666 like this.