XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one likes a strike but it remains as a last ditch tool if its needed. I don't see it as crazy talk.

If your solution is not to work here, fill out an application. Don't just sit there refusing to work here or any where else either. Pointless to do that. If a strike is your end game fantasy, you are a dumb ::shit::.

I said the THREAT of a strike is the most powerful tool in the union toolbox. No one wants a strike, however, strikes have resulted in favorable outcomes for working men and women for decades.

Strikes are awful. They damage everyone. That's why there is no lockout/no strike language in all contracts.

Zero assumptions. CF was union bargained. They lost it all. My father worked for a steel company. He lost it all. His job, his retirement. That really happened.

Contracts can turn out just as bad as they could turn out good. No assumptions there.

Agreeing that the union will aid you in keeping your job. I did assume a bit there. They might not like you. Might help get rid of you. It could happen. This being the only flawed statement in my post. I am standing behind what I wrote.

It's your opinion that we would be better off with a union. Others feel the opposite is true.

People have been bashing YRC for 10 years. The company for doing what they did and the employees for letting them and the union for talking the employees into letting them.

My statements to troubleman84 were giving him what he is giving us. He didn't seem to like it. Maybe he did. You ask him. See if he will read any of your posts or answer any of your questions. And ask him if he feels being told to vote yes or we are closing the gates is much of a negotiation.

In the cases of CF and your dad, you are singling out negative outcomes, summarily dismissing the thousands of positive outcomes that occur regularly. What if the union representing the steel workers acted like the Teamsters representing YRC? I am making an assumption here, but if the union recognized the difficulty that the steel company was having financially, maybe some give backs could have saved your fathers job and pension.

Again, you are taking the false equivalency path with respect to contracts. The vast majority of contracts are favorable to labor. They include benefits the companies would have NEVER conceded to unrepresented employees. AND...they are contracts, meaning the company is under legal obligation to abide by the terms. What legal obligation does XPO have to adhere to now? NONE!

That they may not like you and want to get rid of you is remotely possible, but highly unlikely.

Companies provide financials when entering negotiations. A company struggling with profitability may threaten to close their doors unless the union concedes certain give backs. A union may do this to preserve the jobs of their membership in anticipation of the company righting the ship and making the next contract more favorable to their members. I'm guessing this is what happened with YRC. What's wrong with this? It may rub employees the wrong way, but the alternative would have been far worse.

A profitable company uses the "going out of business" scam as a deterrent to fair negotiations. Failure to bargain in good faith is an unfair labor practice and with financials in hand the union will file the charge and it will be upheld by the NLRB. The company may still refuse and make a last/best offer which the union should refuse and bring the negotiations to an impasse. That's when the strike becomes the most useful tool in the toolbox.

Strikes are awful. They damage everyone. That's why there is no lockout/no strike language in all contracts.

I don't disagree with you, but when your back is up against the wall, you do what is necessary. A strike is an absolutely last, end of the line final action that no one is in favor of.

In the cases of CF and your dad, you are singling out negative outcomes, summarily dismissing the thousands of positive outcomes that occur regularly. What if the union representing the steel workers acted like the Teamsters representing YRC? I am making an assumption here, but if the union recognized the difficulty that the steel company was having financially, maybe some give backs could have saved your fathers job and pension.

Again, you are taking the false equivalency path with respect to contracts. The vast majority of contracts are favorable to labor. They include benefits the companies would have NEVER conceded to unrepresented employees. AND...they are contracts, meaning the company is under legal obligation to abide by the terms. What legal obligation does XPO have to adhere to now? NONE!

That they may not like you and want to get rid of you is remotely possible, but highly unlikely.

Companies provide financials when entering negotiations. A company struggling with profitability may threaten to close their doors unless the union concedes certain give backs. A union may do this to preserve the jobs of their membership in anticipation of the company righting the ship and making the next contract more favorable to their members. I'm guessing this is what happened with YRC. What's wrong with this? It may rub employees the wrong way, but the alternative would have been far worse.

A profitable company uses the "going out of business" scam as a deterrent to fair negotiations. Failure to bargain in good faith is an unfair labor practice and with financials in hand the union will file the charge and it will be upheld by the NLRB. The company may still refuse and make a last/best offer which the union should refuse and bring the negotiations to an impasse. That's when the strike becomes the most useful tool in the toolbox.

1000s of positive examples ? With declining membership ? There must be tens of 1000s of negative examples. Or why would there be such a decline ?

Vast majority ? Again, if unions are so good, why are they failing to grow ?

And with the masses in this country working without contracts you'd have us believe no one gets paid anything or has any medical coverage any where. But, I think they do. Actually, right now I get a wage and medical benefits. I wish they were better. Of course, but without a contract. And I have both. Huh.

YRC was a lie. A direct lie. And the company played the union and the membership because they could.

When negotiations come to an impasse they bring in a negotiator. No one strikes. Strikes are stupid. You are stupid if you think going on strike is a good thing.

As I understand it, it's only in the south that XPO pays OT after 50. Not 100% positive on this.

Why are you saying that dismissively ? You can't even count XPO LTL as a 40 for OT employer. Here in Columbus our dock hands are OT after 50. This ::shit:: is truth. Accept it.

The south is BIG. Texas falls under this , right?

It's been a while. But I thought Texas was part of western. And it was only the " dirty " south that was part of the OT after 50 in the day. That would be east of the Mississippi and south of the Mason Dixon. But the company has spread it's OT after 50 into other parts of the country.

1000s of positive examples ? With declining membership ? There must be tens of 1000s of negative examples. Or why would there be such a decline ?

And with the masses in this country working without contracts you'd have us believe no one gets paid anything or has any medical coverage any where. But, I think they do. Actually, right now I get a wage and medical benefits. I wish they were better. Of course, but without a contract. And I have both. Huh.

YRC was a lie. A direct lie. And the company played the union and the membership because they could.

When negotiations come to an impasse they bring in a negotiator. No one strikes. Strikes are stupid. You are stupid if you think going on strike is a good thing.

They are failing to grow because people are falling for the big corporate lie that we don't need unions. The lie that says the company cares about you and will take care of you. You see what Mr. Jacobs is doing , right? Do you think he cares about you? Do you think he's not making enough profit, so he has to take benefits from us to increase his bottom line? Our health insurance is useless and it's about to get worse. They tell you that they will close the doors. They'll tell you that you will be terminated. They convince you that what you're getting is all there is to get. They'll tell you that the union just wants your money. They'll say that union officials are all corrupt and they're stealing your money to finance their exorbitant lifestyle...AND they'll tell you all this from the privacy of their million dollar homes, from their million dollar yachts, on their I pads while sipping Dom Perignon and eating Beluga caviar. They have you scared to death that you may never ever be able to get another job, all during an incredibly serious shortage of drivers. AND, as long as they keep the industry virtually union free, you will relegate yourself into your undervalued situation, knowing that you will continue to be undervalued no matter where you go.

The wage and medical benefits you get may be sufficient and you accept that because they'll tell you that's all you can get. Teamsters pay zero premiums and have a health care package that most can only dream of.

The median salary in this country is 51K per year across all job classifications. When you consider those earning six figure salaries, the rest of America isn't making enough to pay their bills.

In case you're not thoroughly reading my posts, I still maintain that I am opposed to strikes. As far as your comment that no one strikes, that's not quite accurate. There are strikes going on as we speak. When impasse is reached, an arbitrator steps in, however, his decision is NON binding. If either side fails to accept his decision, a strike is all that's left. I would vote against a strike UNLESS I felt the company was stonewalling our demands based on their financial ability to meet them and based on the fact that our demands are fair.

Zero assumptions. CF was union bargained. They lost it all. My father worked for a steel company. He lost it all. His job, his retirement. That really happened.

Contracts can turn out just as bad as they could turn out good. No assumptions there.

Agreeing that the union will aid you in keeping your job. I did assume a bit there. They might not like you. Might help get rid of you. It could happen. This being the only flawed statement in my post. I am standing behind what I wrote.

It's your opinion that we would be better off with a union. Others feel the opposite is true.

People have been bashing YRC for 10 years. The company for doing what they did and the employees for letting them and the union for talking the employees into letting them.

My statements to troubleman84 were giving him what he is giving us. He didn't seem to like it. Maybe he did. You ask him. See if he will read any of your posts or answer any of your questions. And ask him if he feels being told to vote yes or we are closing the gates is much of a negotiation.
Trust me offense taken. I think your blaming a union for management decisions. Unions contracts are negotiated to put the companies in the hole. If you agree to the these terms you have to hold your end of the bargain as far as management decisions. Now if the steel industry has been on a decline how is that the unions fault? CF was in a decline when other union carriers where seeing profits soar so how is that a contractual problem? Once again lack of management skills. You must can’t comprehend. The Teamsters didn’t force Zollars to merge Yellow Roadway and USF Freightways on bad credit terms and they couldn’t stop it either. Honestly do you think the largest LTL holding company with over 3.5 billion dollars in debt(2009) can recover in a recession that really didn’t stop till 2012-2013 and guess what 2014 was 1st year they went into the black. So what do you force the company into shutting doors due not renegotiating language or give them a chance granted it’s 10 years too long but if you look at where they’re at now compared to then is night and day.

So you don't feel 20+ years qualifies as senior ?

Do you have your "misinterpretation" hat on today. I said it doesn't make sense to everyone. I think it's fair to say that most senior guys would rather not lose the benefits of their seniority by jumping. Most...not all. I realize that some are jumping, and I would love to know where they are going. In Miami, the guys who left voluntarily this past year both went to the Post Office. Another, left for UPS Cartage. Both union jobs.

How was YRC a lie? You do agree that your healthcare cost are increasing whether it is thru deductible or premiums? That’s without a contract correct?

Only when all else fails, when you have negotiated until you are blue in the face and when the company absolutely refuses to bargain in good faith, would my local even consider a strike. And even though we were forced to do so, we presented it as a one day action with an unconditional return to work, which the company accepted. One week later, at the very next bargaining session, we agreed on terms for our raises and our back pay. What a coincidence!

Why are you saying that dismissively ? You can't even count XPO LTL as a 40 for OT employer. Here in Columbus our dock hands are OT after 50. This :::shit::: is truth. Accept it.

Well, then I guess you might want a union then. Then, we can all have OT after 40. Is that considered dismissive also?

Status
Not open for further replies.