XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zero assumptions. CF was union bargained. They lost it all. My father worked for a steel company. He lost it all. His job, his retirement. That really happened.

Contracts can turn out just as bad as they could turn out good. No assumptions there.

Agreeing that the union will aid you in keeping your job. I did assume a bit there. They might not like you. Might help get rid of you. It could happen. This being the only flawed statement in my post. I am standing behind what I wrote.

It's your opinion that we would be better off with a union. Others feel the opposite is true.

People have been bashing YRC for 10 years. The company for doing what they did and the employees for letting them and the union for talking the employees into letting them.

My statements to troubleman84 were giving him what he is giving us. He didn't seem to like it. Maybe he did. You ask him. See if he will read any of your posts or answer any of your questions. And ask him if he feels being told to vote yes or we are closing the gates is much of a negotiation.
I'm hoping maybe you can explain what the union officials and members should have done or should do In the case of Yrc in your opinion ?

I talked with an ex union local leader recently and asked him why he got out and how long before unions make a comeback. He answered with two main arguments.
First, the leadership above and at local levels is totally political. They vote for contracts that they know is not good for the members due to cutting a deal with others in the union leadership or corporate leadership.
Second, the newer generation of workers are all about me and not care nothing for others. There is no brotherhood or standing together because that loyalty is easily bought. On the cheap.
He reasoned that it was time to get out after confronting the union leaders who convinced their members to vote for a garbage contract and realizing that the leaders are now “ME” centric.

I talked with an ex union local leader recently and asked him why he got out and how long before unions make a comeback. He answered with two main arguments.
First, the leadership above and at local levels is totally political. They vote for contracts that they know is not good for the members due to cutting a deal with others in the union leadership or corporate leadership.
Second, the newer generation of workers are all about me and not care nothing for others. There is no brotherhood or standing together because that loyalty is easily bought. On the cheap.
He reasoned that it was time to get out after confronting the union leaders who convinced their members to vote for a garbage contract and realizing that the leaders are now “ME” centric.

I'll buy your second argument, although I think many youngsters are realizing that "we" will automatically support "me". Me is included in we.

I disagree with his first argument. I might add that even if the first argument were true, full membership participation would cure that in a heartbeat.

They are failing to grow because people are falling for the big corporate lie that we don't need unions. The lie that says the company cares about you and will take care of you. You see what Mr. Jacobs is doing , right? Do you think he cares about you? Do you think he's not making enough profit, so he has to take benefits from us to increase his bottom line? Our health insurance is useless and it's about to get worse. They tell you that they will close the doors. They'll tell you that you will be terminated. They convince you that what you're getting is all there is to get. They'll tell you that the union just wants your money. They'll say that union officials are all corrupt and they're stealing your money to finance their exorbitant lifestyle...AND they'll tell you all this from the privacy of their million dollar homes, from their million dollar yachts, on their I pads while sipping Dom Perignon and eating Beluga caviar. They have you scared to death that you may never ever be able to get another job, all during an incredibly serious shortage of drivers. AND, as long as they keep the industry virtually union free, you will relegate yourself into your undervalued situation, knowing that you will continue to be undervalued no matter where you go.

The wage and medical benefits you get may be sufficient and you accept that because they'll tell you that's all you can get. Teamsters pay zero premiums and have a health care package that most can only dream of.

The median salary in this country is 51K per year across all job classifications. When you consider those earning six figure salaries, the rest of America isn't making enough to pay their bills.

In case you're not thoroughly reading my posts, I still maintain that I am opposed to strikes. As far as your comment that no one strikes, that's not quite accurate. There are strikes going on as we speak. When impasse is reached, an arbitrator steps in, however, his decision is NON binding. If either side fails to accept his decision, a strike is all that's left. I would vote against a strike UNLESS I felt the company was stonewalling our demands based on their financial ability to meet them and based on the fact that our demands are fair.

Drivers talk. I don't know about the labor market where you are. But here in Cowtown, USA. We got tons of trucking jobs. And they are starting to compete against themselves for drivers. The pay and benefits here at XPO are not good enough. And everyone knows it. The direction of the company since we got bought has pushed people out. Some wanted to stay. Couldn't afford to keep working here. It's your CDL. XPO is not your career. Truck driver is your career. There are so many wheels out there.

I don't know where you got the salary stat. But the household median income is $57K. That's is for a household in America.

Here is a link where it is broken down by state : http://time.com/money/5177566/average-income-every-state-real-value/

Here is the jobs release : https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/wkyeng.pdf

I am reading your posts. All the way through. I am not sure you are managing yourself as well as you could. Been making a lot of errors lately. You are a much better read with fewer posts of higher quality. But that is likely all of us.

If you make it to a strike. You are done. Both sides have failed.

Trust me offense taken. I think your blaming a union for management decisions. Unions contracts are negotiated to put the companies in the hole. If you agree to the these terms you have to hold your end of the bargain as far as management decisions. Now if the steel industry has been on a decline how is that the unions fault? CF was in a decline when other union carriers where seeing profits soar so how is that a contractual problem? Once again lack of management skills. You must can’t comprehend. The Teamsters didn’t force Zollars to merge Yellow Roadway and USF Freightways on bad credit terms and they couldn’t stop it either. Honestly do you think the largest LTL holding company with over 3.5 billion dollars in debt(2009) can recover in a recession that really didn’t stop till 2012-2013 and guess what 2014 was 1st year they went into the black. So what do you force the company into shutting doors due not renegotiating language or give them a chance granted it’s 10 years too long but if you look at where they’re at now compared to then is night and day.

And you keep missing that it is managements decisions that are the point. We got bought. They keep changing things at the corporate level. Even if we were a union shop. There is nothing the union can do about it. According to your posts. So why do you keep lying and telling these people that voting in a union will stop this or change things ? When your established union can't stop this or change things for you ?

The Yellow/Roadway purchase happened. The XPO/Con-way purchase happened. One was union. One was not. In both cases the drivers lost.

Never gonna be perfect as you see officers on local and international have been replaced.

Pension problem is a hard problem across the board union and non union.

You the mention the 15% like union runs the company. How would YRCW affect XPO they have their own self inflicted problems.

Again if you look at the past elections you will see the changes were made (6 new regional VP). Takes time

What technology would you need to represent a member?

Unions aren’t to be against the companies. They actually need to coexist together as long as members aren’t violated.

Holding membership accountable is by learning language within your craft and if smell bull you go thru chain of command at local till top if necessary or nlrb.
I disagree. A union can oppose a company just as easily as they can work together l.

And I said "negotiate against"

What I see union membership complain about is the union leadership being TOO close to the company management.

When a group of people come out of a meeting with suits and briefcases , can you tell whose on the side of the working class? How about when they leave the golf course?

Do you have your "misinterpretation" hat on today. I said it doesn't make sense to everyone. I think it's fair to say that most senior guys would rather not lose the benefits of their seniority by jumping. Most...not all. I realize that some are jumping, and I would love to know where they are going. In Miami, the guys who left voluntarily this past year both went to the Post Office. Another, left for UPS Cartage. Both union jobs.

UPS mostly. Others have gone small. Mom and pop deals with a handful of drivers. No more mega corporation rat race nonsense.

Are you in a bad mood today? What's with the names, all of a sudden. You'll never have my child this way!:452:

Been in a great mood. Got a lot done, too. And now have ribs going in the oven. Why ? How's things for you ?

People that have a strike fantasy are not okay. You should never want a strike or want to need to strike. People like that are worth all the bad words and dirty names you can come up with. Clueless ass hats that have never been apart of it and think they know anything about what they are talking about. Dumb is dangerous. I am trying to clear that up for you. There are a lot of people that read this forum and that have put years into the union and have been places and seen things. You are sounding foolish, when you glorify strike as any sort of a good thing.

How was YRC a lie? You do agree that your healthcare cost are increasing whether it is thru deductible or premiums? That’s without a contract correct?

You ask how is YRC a lie ? Because they sold the rank and file up the river twice. You got punked twice is how it was a lie. 10 years of lies is how it was a lie. They rigged the books to make the merger and they have rigged the books ever since to dodge the banks and the government and the pension fund and everyone else they ever stole money from.

Then you follow up with completely pointless questions that are off the topic, whole nother discussion.

The health care at XPO is offensive. If you are sick or you have a child that is sick. You can't afford to work here.

XPO LTL is without a contract. To my knowledge. Fairly certain that if one is ever agreed to that it will be made known.

I'm hoping maybe you can explain what the union officials and members should have done or should do In the case of Yrc in your opinion ?

See post #6388. My point is having a union won't change the real problem at XPO. It might alter some things locally. But really, that isn't the solution that is needed.

That had to be a tough realization for some one that had dedicated that amount of time to what he though was a good fight.

I think New England Motor Freight is in the process of getting a new contract. Correct me if I am wrong , but no OT after 40 , right?

Thought they had OT after 40. Could be wrong. Or it could be like us where it's 40 in one area and not in another.

Status
Not open for further replies.