XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very smart move on the part of ups. Better off not leaving your customers freight dangling in the wind.
and it makes it easier to lock them out. UPS could shut this down and they real would only take about a 2-3% cut to the bottom line. UPSF is not a big money maker for them

and it makes it easier to lock them out. UPS could shut this down and they real would only take about a 2-3% cut to the bottom line. UPSF is not a big money maker for them

I was shocked to hear they are the 5th largest LTL in north America. I see these guys and the trailers are maybe a quarter full. Ugly residential stops and crap that wouldn't fit on parcel. Then they get a stop or two that are " industrial ". Has a dock. The one driver around here said they are two weeks behind on residential deliveries. I guess that's why they thought or expected to be brought up to what package makes.

Neither he or I believe that they will strike. And as you mention. It's not important to UPS. They would move all the equipment to parcel. And make up whatever money they lost from closing freight and then some. Small package, home delivery is big business right now. LTL is pennies on the dollar. If it was your money. You'd do the same thing. Just because they have a job and a union doesn't mean they have value and leverage.

Corporate tax rates were 91% during the Eisenhower administration and reduced to 75% with the Kennedy/Johnson administration.

The problem with this statement is back then there were so many loopholes and tax deductions that now corp ever paid those high rates.

When is UPS going out on strike? Because I heard today from a driver that they’re starting their strike today.
Not till the 12 th their vote is on the 11th. The 30 day extension they are operating under expires at midnight on the 11 th at 12:01 am or after they can call a strike.

Totally in the hands of the members at this point and the way they vote.

Last edited:
It's a reasonable question. Let me chew on it a bit and I'll get back to you.

MuBeDW7.jpg

Reading the UPS boards is making feel better about being non-union. They can keep their uncertainty about striking or not. They can keep their nasty rhetoric toward each other in deciding how to vote on the contract. The Teamsters claim to bring unity but yet at this time, the UPS teamsters appear to be quite divided. Personally, I hope they do strike or get locked out, whichever. We could whatever extra freight this would generate for us, not to mention the chance at pulling away some of UPS's customers. There are times when it's enough just to worry about doing my job correctly without having to worry about an external force like a union playing games with my work life.

Reading the UPS boards is making feel better about being non-union. They can keep their uncertainty about striking or not. They can keep their nasty rhetoric toward each other in deciding how to vote on the contract. The Teamsters claim to bring unity but yet at this time, the UPS teamsters appear to be quite divided. Personally, I hope they do strike or get locked out, whichever. We could whatever extra freight this would generate for us, not to mention the chance at pulling away some of UPS's customers. There are times when it's enough just to worry about doing my job correctly without having to worry about an external force like a union playing games with my work life.
You hope they strike or get locked out so you can get extra freight, glad to see its all about you....

The workers made the decision they are the union . Also better to debate your future than have no say at all. They are the best compensated drivers in Ltl . That being said your entitled to your opinion.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7XC1dKA6NJVM0xBckx6ODllTFM5d3QxM1JWTF96X1pJeHFn

I don't have a complete understanding of the contract or what the issues are. However, at least they have an opportunity to have a say in their workplace. Personally, I'd rather have some input into my work conditions than simply accept what the company is offering. Without a union, these guys wouldn't be earning anywhere near what they are earning right now. Have you seen their Health Care plan as opposed to ours? It's sickening what we have come to accept as "decent coverage". They have that plan BECAUSE of the union. The Teamsters have provided them with an excellent contract and for many, I guess that's enough. They have that contract because those who came before them made many personal sacrifices. They chose to stand together, as it is the only chance they have to influence company policy.

Of course there's disagreement in the ranks. Some feel that the contract offered is enough. Others feel differently. That's why they vote. Do you vote? The situation, as it exists, is far from a "game". It's about their future and wishing that they strike or get locked out is a sad statement that says a lot about you.

Status
Not open for further replies.