XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Canadian friends who love it. I believe that Up North stated that, although he felt it wasn't great, he also felt it wasn't too bad either. I let him respond. I have Medicare, like 44 million other Americans. That's 14% of us. Although I have to jump through some hoops to see a doctor, I am extremely happy with the end result. If Canadians are so unhappy with their health care, why haven't they repealed it?
It can’t be repealed. Our system of govt doesn’t work like that. Our system is like yours... overburdened by non paying border jumpers, and not enough doctors. Lots of people with bad knees, hips and shoulders hop to a border state and pay 600 bucks for a same day mri, rather than wait 6 months in pain. Family doctors are full. People using er’s And clinics as primary care. It’s not perfect, but it’s what we got.

It can’t be repealed. Our system of govt doesn’t work like that. Our system is like yours... overburdened by non paying border jumpers, and not enough doctors. Lots of people with bad knees, hips and shoulders hop to a border state and pay 600 bucks for a same day mri, rather than wait 6 months in pain. Family doctors are full. People using er’s And clinics as primary care. It’s not perfect, but it’s what we got.

It seems like we have similar problems with our health care systems. At least you don't have to pay for it.

We pay for it. Through our income tax. Whether we use it or not.

Yes, I get it, however, it's a much less costly system to provide based on administrative costs charged by our insurance companies. Believe me when I say, that wait times here in the states aren't much better than those in Canada. Single payer works and saves money.

I have Canadian friends who love it. I believe that Up North stated that, although he felt it wasn't great, he also felt it wasn't too bad either. I let him respond. I have Medicare, like 44 million other Americans. That's 14% of us. Although I have to jump through some hoops to see a doctor, I am extremely happy with the end result. If Canadians are so unhappy with their health care, why haven't they repealed it?
Upnorth also stated it takes months to get an mri so you can get in another line to a knee replacement, or you can pay out of pocket to jump the line, or pay for additional insurance. As to why they don't repeal it I have no idea but, I can tell you it's not because it a great plan.

Upnorth also stated it takes months to get an mri so you can get in another line to a knee replacement, or you can pay out of pocket to jump the line, or pay for additional insurance. As to why they don't repeal it I have no idea but, I can tell you it's not because it a great plan.

North says they can't repeal it, doesn't work that way. I had my knee replaced in Miami in 2014. I waited 6 weeks for an MRI and 3 months more for the surgery. Neither situation is acceptable. So, it seems, neither plan is great. With Medicare, on the other hand, I have a choice of several doctors in any field of medicine. The only pain in the ass is that I have to have a primary care physician in order to get the referral for any specialty. It's annoying but I haven't waited more than a week for any appointment. I advocate Medicare for all. It works very well and saves a fortune in administrative costs.

I'm going to get jumped on for this, but here is the objective truth. No one has a right to healthcare because no one has a right to benefit from someone else's labor. We all have a right to seek out the best health care we can afford, whether that be paid through health insurance, out of pocket, or a combination of both. Regardless of what economic system a person lives in, there will ALWAYS be inequalities. The best economic system for distributing wealth is a market system. Health insurance companies and government have interfered with our health care market system, driving up costs and red tape. You want the best possible fix to health care system, de-regulate it. Create opportunities where health care providers and health care insurers are forced to compete for health care consumer dollar. Don't believe me? Look at cell phones, flat panel TV's, aircraft, cars, and on and on. Competition causes products to become better and creates more consumer choice while having the effect steady pricing a the same time. We can do the same thing with health care. Believing that the common good in the health care market is best served by government intervention is hazardous to your health.

I have several close friends that live in Canada and love the healthcare they are provided there. I guess it subject to how you look at it and possibly ones political views and governments role in it.
Healthcare is a high portion of our economy. As long as profit is the main driver consumers will suffer.

Last edited:
I'm going to get jumped on for this, but here is the objective truth. No one has a right to healthcare because no one has a right to benefit from someone else's labor. We all have a right to seek out the best health care we can afford, whether that be paid through health insurance, out of pocket, or a combination of both. Regardless of what economic system a person lives in, there will ALWAYS be inequalities. The best economic system for distributing wealth is a market system. Health insurance companies and government have interfered with our health care market system, driving up costs and red tape. You want the best possible fix to health care system, de-regulate it. Create opportunities where health care providers and health care insurers are forced to compete for health care consumer dollar. Don't believe me? Look at cell phones, flat panel TV's, aircraft, cars, and on and on. Competition causes products to become better and creates more consumer choice while having the effect steady pricing a the same time. We can do the same thing with health care. Believing that the common good in the health care market is best served by government intervention is hazardous to your health.
With a free market ( truly free ) you would know what the prices are for the service or procedure you want to buy. With healthcare , prices change based on what you can afford to pay , what insurance you have , and where the location is.

Also , you have no true competition between insurance companies to provide cheaper better services and products. True interstate competition is illegal. And probably will stay that way if things remain status quo.

As long as there is tremendous amounts of money to be made with the system we have now ( and there is ) you will have ridiculous results. I refuse to believe the United States of America cannot do better. We are the motherf-_king USof A!

By ridiculous results I am referring to people that have worked hard , followed the rules and laws , paid taxes , and have been decent citizens their entire lives...and have it all wiped away by an illness. We can do better. Not being able to afford medication that's essential to live because of price gouging. We can do better.

As far as some people paying more than others and getting better healthcare than others and inequality being the norm. We can do better , or at least we should try.

As an American I've always been proud of , an impressed by how well the best of us treats the rest of us...those that have the least in the U.S. live better than most people around the world. That's nothing to be mad about but something to be proud of.

John F. Kennedy on going to the moon - "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

With a free market ( truly free ) you would know what the prices are for the service or procedure you want to buy. With healthcare , prices change based on what you can afford to pay , what insurance you have , and where the location is.

Also , you have no true competition between insurance companies to provide cheaper better services and products. True interstate competition is illegal. And probably will stay that way if things remain status quo.

As long as there is tremendous amounts of money to be made with the system we have now ( and there is ) you will have ridiculous results. I refuse to believe the United States of America cannot do better. We are the motherf-_king USof A!

By ridiculous results I am referring to people that have worked hard , followed the rules and laws , paid taxes , and have been decent citizens their entire lives...and have it all wiped away by an illness. We can do better. Not being able to afford medication that's essential to live because of price gouging. We can do better.

As far as some people paying more than others and getting better healthcare than others and inequality being the norm. We can do better , or at least we should try.

As an American I've always been proud of , an impressed by how well the best of us treats the rest of us...those that have the least in the U.S. live better than most people around the world. That's nothing to be mad about but something to be proud of.

I'm not sure that a "free market" can even exist anymore. Those with the capital always have an advantage over the little guy. Someone with a great idea for a product or service, cultivates and develops it and instead of retaining control for future generations, he sells out to a huge corporation and enjoys a well earned payday for his efforts. Good for him, but bad for the competitiveness a free market is supposed to create. Is there a local hardware store in your neighborhood? I'll bet there's a Home Depot. Same with local grocery stores, lumber yards, etc.
A genuine free market is fine for ancillary products and services. Car manufacturers compete for our business based on price, style, luxury or sport packages etc. You can buy a $300 pair of sunglasses or a $10 pair. Almost all of the products we use on a daily basis aren't necessary to our existence and you can choose which items you buy based on your personal preference. A kind of take it or leave it deal. I can't afford the BMW. so I'll take the Kia. It's a nice car too!
Health care shouldn't be a free market product. It's never a take it or leave it deal. It's necessary for our existence. It should be provided to all as a fulfillment of the promise in the Declaration of Independence; that being life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. You can't have any of those if your sick and can't afford treatment or medication. It's cruel to watch someone work their entire lives for a shot at a comfortable retirement and then, lose it all because they got sick. As icuicp said, We are the mother f*&^%$ing USA. We can do better. Every civilized country has figured it out. We should be able to figure it out too.

Consider this...you and your wife have worked hard all your lives. You saved money for retirement and you own your home. Between what you have saved and your retirement fund, you're on your way to a comfortable retirement. Suddenly, your wife gets lung cancer. You have insurance, but the copays are insane and you have to mortgage the house to pay for treatments. The treatments are working and her health is improving, but now, you have exceeded your lifetime limits and there is no other option for you. She is your lifetime partner and you love her more than anything in the world, so you beg, borrow and steal to continue the treatments. She was going to be 62 on her next birthday, but now she's dead. and...you're in the street. Fair? It happens a hundred times every day in this country.

Ok so let me get this straight... a free market causes competition in the healthcare industry. So the price of bypass surgery goes from $200,000 to 100,00 due to competition in the market. To the underinsured and uninsured that isn’t gone to mean a hill of beans because they still can’t afford it. Yes I can shop for the best price but what good does that due you when you have to pay for it all out of pocket.

Remember health insurance is not what you pay when you go for a routine Dr visit . It’s main purpose is to cover catastrophic events . That is the litmus test on how good your insurance is.

Last edited:
Ok so let me get this straight... a free market causes competition in the healthcare industry. So the price of bypass surgery goes from $200,000 to 100,00 due to competition in the market. To the underinsured and uninsured that isn’t gone to mean a hill of beans because they still can’t afford it. Yes I can shop for the best price but what good does that due you when you have to pay for it all out of pocket.

Remember health insurance is not what you pay when you go for a routine Dr visit . It’s main purpose is to cover catastrophic events . That is the litmus test on how good your insurance is.
Sucker , Hollywoodz , question: If there is ever a universal , smooth functioning single payer healthcare system wouldn't that take away a selling point of unionization?

Sucker , Hollywoodz , question: If there is ever a universal , smooth functioning single payer healthcare system wouldn't that take away a selling point of unionization?

Yes, I believe it would take away one important selling point, but there is still good reason to organize.

I heard the economist say that it costs companies nearly $400 per week, per employee to provide Health Insurance. Imagine the cost savings to companies under this plan. It's true their taxes would increase some, but the overall savings would be considerable.

What would be some thoughts of having a hospital district to determine where you would go for care by where you live ,like how we have school district ,water district, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.