Yellow | Yellow crash

Here we go with this BS again, huh?... So guys, what's the excuse when a 32 year old man driving the family to Florida on Friday night after he's worked all day nods off, drives across the median or off the side of the road crashes and kills his family and maybe some bystanders?... Or the teenager out at night attempting to drive after drinking and partying with his buds, loses control, causes a wreck and lives are lost?... Or a 50 something person that had to make a career change, just graduated from some two-bit truck driving "academy" and runs into a situation that calls for some experience that they are lacking and makes a fatal decision?...

I don't think the fact that the driver is 77 years old has much to do with this... I've known Mr. Duff for several years. He's a good man and is very conscientious of his job and his duties and he takes his job seriously. Of course, he's well experienced. He probably has more miles on him backing up than most of you have driving forward. What happened in Virginia could have happened to any of you... We encounter numerous potential disasters daily in this line of work. You know it and I damn sure know it... So who are you people to sit at your keyboards, make assumptions and cast stones?... All you seen was a few online articles from a bias media that specializes in sensationalism to maintain a certain viewer share so they can hawk some advertising space for top dollar...

The decision to continue driving at his age is his and the Doctor that certifies him as being in good health and fit to drive... I know drivers half his age that have to be certified yearly because of heart problems, hypertension, etc, etc... I know many more in that same age category that suffer from sleep disorders, respiratory and circulatory ailments, and other ailments caused from high stress and poor health choices... What do you say when one of them lands in a similar situation?
I dare say that Mr. Duff is probably in better physical shape than most of you reading this... Is that an assumption or fact? Hmmm...

Ditto Player, Ditto!....you saved me keyboard strokes!......KK

Don't have time to find the link right now, but UPS has / had an 81 year old. I'll try to find it later if someone doesn't beat me to it.

get um .

Here we go with this BS again, huh?... So guys, what's the excuse when a 32 year old man driving the family to Florida on Friday night after he's worked all day nods off, drives across the median or off the side of the road crashes and kills his family and maybe some bystanders?... Or the teenager out at night attempting to drive after drinking and partying with his buds, loses control, causes a wreck and lives are lost?... Or a 50 something person that had to make a career change, just graduated from some two-bit truck driving "academy" and runs into a situation that calls for some experience that they are lacking and makes a fatal decision?...

I don't think the fact that the driver is 77 years old has much to do with this... I've known Mr. Duff for several years. He's a good man and is very conscientious of his job and his duties and he takes his job seriously. Of course, he's well experienced. He probably has more miles on him backing up than most of you have driving forward. What happened in Virginia could have happened to any of you... We encounter numerous potential disasters daily in this line of work. You know it and I damn sure know it... So who are you people to sit at your keyboards, make assumptions and cast stones?... All you seen was a few online articles from a bias media that specializes in sensationalism to maintain a certain viewer share so they can hawk some advertising space for top dollar...

The decision to continue driving at his age is his and the Doctor that certifies him as being in good health and fit to drive... I know drivers half his age that have to be certified yearly because of heart problems, hypertension, etc, etc... I know many more in that same age category that suffer from sleep disorders, respiratory and circulatory ailments, and other ailments caused from high stress and poor health choices... What do you say when one of them lands in a similar situation?
I dare say that Mr. Duff is probably in better physical shape than most of you reading this... Is that an assumption or fact? Hmmm...

Preach on brother- Aman!

During the change of op's, I saw the senority list for ATL. The #1 guy was born in 1918 and his hire date was 1948. Mr. Duff has a long way to go. I think I have seen Mr. Duff but not sure. But I do know a guy out of MBK who is a little long in the tooth. I can't say he is my favorite person but I do see him catch CONSTANT flak everwhere he goes as to his age. I know there is a few ex's that have made retirement tough for him. You would think that would leave a bad taste in one's mouth for marrige, but I had the good fortune to have him buy me a coffee at Dunkin's one night. This guy was playing it up with the woman behind the counter with a flair and persistance I never dared use. That is when I realized that he was senior and I was still learning something.

Never give up, never surrender.

Seniority is like a crowd leaving a theater in a fire. Those back there are pushing those in front ready to trample. This guy has made a game of not getting trampled. I had him wrong for a long time. Glad to say I turned back to the IBT from the Int'l brotherhood of Me-sters.

Sometimes I just want to ask them how it feels to come in and work for minimum wage

This is pretty much true for anyone under 70, but once you hit 70 years of age you are paid social security and your pension plus draw from any 401(K) monies even if you haven't retired. Wages + SS + Pension= $125,000+ annually.

I believe he was taken out of the city and put in the yard as jockey.I might be wrong but i think that's where he's at.he's out of chicago

Retire soon

Stan,
While I don't agree with rubbing anything in anybody's face I wonder what came first.....the rubbing it in or the making fun of older guys who have earned the right to work as they see fit. The state or quality of, or lack thereof, being junior in the Teamster LTL world is what each and every one of us have to endure and being patient in the process detracts from the spread of the nasty disease. Acceptance and patience are the keys to overcoming what must be a terrible way to live. I'd hate to be that angry at such a young age.....it's bad for one's health. While I agree that some, if not many, senior men work way too much and wait too long to retire it's up to them and should never be changed to pacify anxious junior men who can't wait their turn.

Also, I know I remember you preparing to leave for another job you referred to as a blessing in the tumultuous times at the LCP facility.......what happened?

With the current trend and junior running the show, we all well be working till we are 70 or 80 If we have jobs at all

It's tough at the top

Here we go again with the seniority issue again. Some are not going to like this but they will just have to grow up and be big boys. :biglaugh:
Once upon a time in my life I had to stand against a wall with a rifle and look at paint for 4 hours a day. This guy with rank would approach me and command me to answer question as his spit and coffee breath would spray over my face. Then sometime later I had to clean hallways and bathrooms. This guy would walk around and say "You missed a spot". Later, I had to watch allarms and gauges plus patrol a 800 foot ship, I did this for 4 hours twice a day. Later, on in life I had check on this guy to see that he wasn't falling asleep on watch, after that I had to make sure that the secutity guy was not missing his check on gauges and fire alarms. I would catch him reading "playboy" more times hen I can count. I then would have hours of paperwork to do on this and get it to my officer. Once I had to take guys to a captains mast for not doing their job, if I did'nt, I was going in their place in front of the captain. I watched my officer get chewed out then ordered to stay on board ship for 30 days because the captain did not like what he saw. Maybe we need a draft again so that some people could grow up and learn that you gotta put in your time. And sometimes it's not easy to be on top. My opinion and I am stickin with it.:smilie_132:

Here we go again with the seniority issue again. Some are not going to like this but they will just have to grow up and be big boys. :biglaugh:
Once upon a time in my life I had to stand against a wall with a rifle and look at paint for 4 hours a day. This guy with rank would approach me and command me to answer question as his spit and coffee breath would spray over my face. Then sometime later I had to clean hallways and bathrooms. This guy would walk around and say "You missed a spot". Later, I had to watch allarms and gauges plus patrol a 800 foot ship, I did this for 4 hours twice a day. Later, on in life I had check on this guy to see that he wasn't falling asleep on watch, after that I had to make sure that the secutity guy was not missing his check on gauges and fire alarms. I would catch him reading "playboy" more times hen I can count. I then would have hours of paperwork to do on this and get it to my officer. Once I had to take guys to a captains mast for not doing their job, if I did'nt, I was going in their place in front of the captain. I watched my officer get chewed out then ordered to stay on board ship for 30 days because the captain did not like what he saw. Maybe we need a draft again so that some people could grow up and learn that you gotta put in your time. And sometimes it's not easy to be on top. My opinion and I am stickin with it.:smilie_132:
Here, Here!... You're right on the money, UnionJack... Way too many people grew up way too easy... They're so thin-skinned that they're damn near invisible...

Get your heads out of the rectum defilate position and man up, people!!!

Perhaps his first year in the Union was age 48?? He may not have his time in yet.
We don't know and it's not our business to judge him or his decisions in life. He earned his seniority. In this line of work, its all you lay claim to.
Keep on Truckin Duffy!

Retiring

If I live to be 77 years old, I will have been retired for at least 15 years. I don't want to be driving trucks in the middle of the night any longer than I have to. If I get bored in retirement, I will do volunteer work.

A couple of more years and I am unplugging:dance:, the last time I volunteered the US Gov. sent me to some far away land to shoot some slope heads,:grinning-smiley-021 the only thing I will be volunteering for when I retire is to walk around the house in my skivvies scratching my B***S & Farting because that drives my o'l lady nuts.:hysterical:

God Bless America :USA:

Lumper ( I love my country ) sam

There is no law or rule that says you have to retire at a certain age. If he can pass all the tests he has as much right to work as anyone else.

Think of all the lives this driver could have saved, after a certain age our minds slow down, unless you have a CDL, than we just keep getting better with age, like a fine wine. :smilie_132:

Time does not stand still

It's funny how people will state when they think that other people should retire. Somehow, they become skilled at knowing when a person becomes to old to drive a car, truck, plane,or just hold a job. In almost all cases, that person is younger then the person they are judging. The real motive is so obvious that it is insulting. In our day to day life you can see people get frustrated with older people everywhere. In line at the store or bank, you see the old person slowly count the exact change out or fussing with a cane or walker. The younger person behind them is rolling their eyes with impatience. They let doors at the mall fly free instead of holding it for them for 6 seconds. Or even take a couple of minutes and talk or say "hi" to them. If you really stop and look at our country you can see that maybe the cub scouts or boy scouts was really a great idea, and maybe all this gay rights and tree hugging stuff is maybe leading this country the wrong way. I do believe that Richard M. Nixon was wrong to do away with the draft. I think that was one of the biggest mistakes this "Superpower" country did.
P.S. FOR stan. I will search for a prayer for you.:chairshot:

You forgot where "we" came from

We had a pic from a paper with a yellow rearended another truck and burst into flames.the 77 year old yellow driver was pulled out by some passing motorist.come on now 77 years old.time to hang it up.
Remember when the Guv put a "retire age" on us? We had to retire a certain age. Now the Guv wants us to work till we croak. You, my friend are going his way too...don't lie to me...

if you are 77 and still have to work, you obviously don't have any kind of life outside your work. if you did you would want to be retired and do what YOU want and spend time with your wife and family. you should also retire and give your other younger teamster brothers a chance to make a living like you already have. you stay on the board and others get laid off. thats MY opinion and i'm stikin with it!!!!

"Seniority Envy", I agree. It is also combined with "ME!!ME!!ME!!ME!!"

You mean the 30 year plus drivers right? ME have senority. ME still have right to take another opportunity from a prospective new young teamster. ME pass physical, ME can still work. It does go both ways you know!:nutkick: