Yellow | YRC Logistics trucks

I was wondering if you ever tried Thrifty ice cream? I used to live in the central valley in California. Their ice cream was always winning taste tests. I believe it is still sold at the ice cream counters in Rite Aid drugstores. I'm not sure if all of them have the ice cream though. I lived in Hanford, CA and a lot of people would go to the Superior Dairy which is a 1950s ice cream shop cafe in downtown Hanford. They have pretty good ice cream too. A lot of people ride the Amtrak down to Hanford because it is a nice trip from anywhere in California and you can walk to the Downtown area pretty easily.

Yes, as a kid I remember going to Thrifty in So. Cal. and getting ice cream. That was a big highlight for me. It's been along time since I've done that. I think your right about the stuff still being around in Rite Aid. I haven't paid close enough attention.

We moved to Austin from the S.F. bay area in 2005 and I had never heard of Blue Bell. When I discovered it I was constantly running to the store to get as much of that stuff as we could afford. It's awesome ice cream.

Do they still sell those Its- It ice cream cookie sandwiches in San Francisco? I think they made them there too? I guess I got a brother and sister that live in the gay bay so I could ask them?

I guess they still got them IT'S-IT Ice Cream If u wanna pay they ship em too.

stan, cf was lets say 48 state union ltl carrier, ccx was same only non-union carrier, yrc logistics is a whole other business with a completely differant agenda . there really isnt a comparison.ccx has there own seperate logistics company, and have used npme as there main northeast carrier for many years, on a certain account. we union menlo not or is any part of cf any more.we provide the service or need or want at the best price for there customer in certain lanes of freight. logistics is just flat at whole differant business than ltl.

Find out how YRC Logistics can help you:

Simplify North America Shipping
Simplify International Shipping
Manage distribution & warehousing efficiently
Enhance planning with supply chain visibility
Maintain import/export compliance
Design, plan, optimize your supply chain

do you think the warehouse are union? no
are they going to call a union carrier? no
in bolingbrook il samsung uses yrc logistics there are alot of road drivers and fed ex trucks there every day.so wheres the future?

why is it you guys would rather make up conspiracey theories about yrc logistics, instead of going to yrc website and reading exactly what they do. they are logistics company ,

Since when do logistic companies paint their company names on the side of their trucks and employ 1000s of drivers, dispatchers, etc? Furthermore, YRC already has (or had) a logistic branch to YRC. It was called Meridean IQ, which is the name the used to be on the YRC Logistics trucks.

like penske, or menlo, plain and simple.

call Penske and tell them you have some freight you want them to pick up. See if they don't say, "huh?" They are a truck rental/leasing company, not a freight company. YRC is a freight company that also offers logistic, plain and simple

they are a wholly onwed subsitary of yrc, they have there own agenda.

Which is union busting.

I talked to a terminal manager in OH about a year ago, who had been with RDWY for decades. Stopped at the termianl on a Sunday afternoonn no one there but me and him adn he was in a talkative mood. He was telling me that RDW/YELL was going to get into the truckload business (utilizing vans not pups), it was to profitable to ignore. I think that this is what YRC Logistics is. They decided to go into very profitable truckload as a new nonunion branch of the company. Why pay union wages when you don't have to?

they handle logistics for an aray of differant companys,

so does (or did) Meridean IQ, before it was renamed YRC Logistics.

for some of you shall i say, they handle shipping and receiving for certain customers, and all that goes with it.they are not a non-union roadway or yellow or holland, or will they being takeing away your linehaul.or city work.

You can't be serious. If YRC Locgistics, which does the logistics for RDWY/YELLOW and all YRC customers, can give the customer a cheaper price in the non union branch of YRC they will do. That will take full loads away from Yellow and RDWY adn put in the nonunion branch. We will see no more truckload deals with future customers. This is taking work away from RDWY city/linehaul. We can kiss goodbye to complete sealed loads from Home depot, Walmart, etc. That is taking frieght away from union drivers and giving it to non union drivers, plain and simple. That is union busting, my friend.

in somed cases , say roadway salesmen might try to sell services to yrc logistics, for certain lanes of freight del, if price is right.

No kidding. You contradict yourself. Ir the price is right, the freight will go to the NONunion branch of the company, which is growing like a mushroom on a hot rainy day. I see convoys of YRC Logistics truck everyday between Memphis and KC.

"if the price is right?????????" What world do you live in? The price is alway righter for the company if the employees are non unnion!

if there is add in local paper for yrc log. drivers its because they have landed another account or are expanding one they have.

Yeah. No Kidding! An account that a union driver will never see.

i dont claim to know everything, but before i would go out and make some of the most rediculious statements that have been made concerning yrc logistics, i would at least have a clue what they are and what they do, and how they operate.

Come now. You made some pretty rediculous statements. Comparing Penske and menlo to a freight company, which also offers in house logistics. Do you have a clue what Penske does and doesn't do? Penske is big in RENTAL/LEASING not in freight.

My opinion is: YRC realizes that the non unnion explosion in LTL (Fed Ex, etc) is the hand writing on the wall for union LTL. They will go down fighting, and watching what happens at UPS Freight and the Teamsters, but they are heging their bet. They are very well positioned to go over to mostly truckload and away from LTL. The LTL market is well served now by non union carriers, YRC can cut that side of the company out in the future and not even make a wave in the general LTL business. After YRC LTL withers on the vine, watch and see it they don't start doing some limited dock work again. This is Conway/CF all over again only with different details.

Besides I started the thread just because I found it interesting that the non-union trucks are turned up a little bit.

Which would you rather have? A big motor or a big paycheck?

Of course non union trucks are faster.

1. Non union comapnies have to keep their drivers happy to keep them driving for such low wages. RDWY can screw us, be rude to us, treat us like ::shit::, and we will stay - big check, pension, home every other night on average, etc.

2. Union companies have to level the cost of the playing field as best they can. One way is to make up for the extra expense of union wages/benefits is to save on fuel costs.

I would rather drive for a union company that is honest (thanks to the union) about trying to screw me rather than for a company that bullshits their drivers and hood wicks them financially every chance they get.

The companies want the cheapest labor possible, one way of doing that is to out smart your drivers with promised mileage rate bonuses that are impossible to get, big motors, new trucks, promised home time that never materialize, etc., and best of all - call your driver independents and offer to finance their truck for them, fleece them comeing and going.

Some companies have become very good at giving their drivers a reach-around while they screw them in the ***. You want a 70mph and 28 cpm? They'll accomadate you. Even buy you a new truck. Yeah baby! Some drivers would rather drive that way. I drive for the money, pure and simple.

I work p&d for roadway and i have a daily account that used to give me time critical shipments constantly. Now for the last month when the customer calls in for a frt quote customer sales sends in "guess who"" yrc logistics. When i inquired why with my office, i was told we couldn't make the service dates,gee we always made them before. You fiqure it out. The writings on the wall fella's!!!!

I agree the writing is on the wall, unless we see some big political changes very soon in D.C. the Teamsters, along the UAW United Auto Workers, will soon be a thing of the past.

On the bright side, I think the new contract language is a good faith effort on the part of the management of the unionized branch of YRC to fight this (and to fight their fellow management of the non union part of YRC for a place at the trouf) as best they can. To be fair, the labor contract pretty much makes this business (expedited truckload) off limits to RDWY and Yellow.

It seems that the YRC Logisitic drivers are doing what the utility drivers will be able to do - provided management doesn't screw it up - which is pick up and delivery of mostly regional truckload expedited freight.

Another bright side, the Teamsters got card checkoff rights at UPS Freight (at a horrible cost to the pension plan). I am not a Hoffa Junior fan, but this is something to hopefull about. Hopefully, It won't be too little too late.

If I'm not mistaken, those guys driving for YRC LOG. are leasing the tractors themselves as independant contractors... hence the 70 mph speeds.

I believe you are correct Loon. The YRC logistic trucks I have come across in Texas are leased to YRC. Now let's talk about 70 MPH ice cream!!!!!!!

I stand by my statement that Penske is not a freight handling company. And is in no way comparable to YRC and its subsidiaries.

It is also my understanding that RDWY linehaul trucks are leased.

Convincing YRC Log drivers to lease the trucks themselves, if that is the case, is just another way of getting them to work for less money. Move the business risk from the company owners and onto the company drivers, sounds like a plan to me. Transfer as much of the business risk as you can to the employees and as much of the profits as you can to the owners. Pay the driver .35 cpm and than take part of it back to cover the "cost" of financing their truck "loans." But hey! The trucks'll do 70.

There are plenty of companies out there with 70+ mph trucks. If that is what you want why not go there?

I must say this was an interesting thread. My husband is an independent truck driver, so I feel your concerns from that end. However, I work for YRC Logistics, so let me put some of the consipiracy to rest.

YRC Logistics is a wholly owned subsidary of YRC Worldwide. We were name Meridian IQ until July of last year. We just changed our name to better align ourselves with the corporate company. (get some free advertising from their name). The reason you are seeing trucks with YRC Logisitcs and trailers with Meridian IQ is simply because we have not finished rebranding all our equipment.

Our trucks are not leased to YRC. YRC owns us as well as Yellow, Roadway, USF Holland and Reddaway, New Penn and Reimer. YRC is simply the corporate company, and really only does the accounting/business functions of all the companies. They don't move freight. Each company operates as a seperate entity. And I am very sad to say that the sister companies do not talk very well, so there isn't any "conspiracy" against other carriers.

We are and always will be a Third Party Logistics company. Our parent company has enough trucking companies, therefore there is no advantage to us going that way.

I hope this helps. :smilie_132:

there isn't any "conspiracy" against other carriers.

If you don't think there is a corporate "conspiracy" against unionized wages and benefits you are delusional. Have you been living under a rock for the last 3 decades? Have you not seen what has happened in the trucking industry? The large number of Unionized companies shut down? The detiorating pay and working conditions of drivers? Of dock hands?

Now if I may digress:
1.The Corporate thugs cut laborer's wages
2.Laborers can't afford to buy anything
3.Therefore the economy tanks

Da!

So the Corporate thugs (running our govmt) borrow money from the Chinese (and our childern) so they can give us some "spending" money (to sublimate labor's now reduced wages) inorder to stimulate the economy. WAKE UP! For griminies sake Jevic was just been given the coup de grace.
End of rant.

We are and always will be a Third Party Logistics company.

When a "logistics" company puts its own trucks on the road it is ceases to be just a logistics company.

I have noticed that everybody in the industry is using the word "logistics" now. It seems to be a new catch phrase. e.g. Some mom and pop operation out of WV with 3 trucks on the road calls themselves a logistic company.

Our parent company [YRC] has enough trucking companies, therefore there is no advantage to us going that way.

Say what?! I think you missed something here in the union vs non union reality. There is a decidedly large short-term corporate advantage to not paying union wage scales. Hello!?

And more importantly, if there is no advantage to it then why the heck are there YRC trucks going down the road with non union drivers in them????????????

Well, I am really sorry you feel that way. Some people thrive on consipiracy theories. Not much anyone can do to change that.

I know when things turn against you, as the economy has done to truckers, it is easier to assume things like this then to understand the nature of the beast. So I wish you all the best and hope good things come your way.