ABF | Yrc strike monday...

The company has for many years, hired what other companies consider older employees. I know of several they have hired who were in their 40's or 50's. The reasoning is that these workers are already trained & experienced & will contribute to the company for several years. I have seen a few that wanted to do things the way their previous employer did & had to be reminded who was signing their paychecks. ABF cannot be accused of age discrimination in the workplace.
My terminal hired 70 year old driver.

you do understand he can't allow this to continue. The concessions Yellow was granted was to allow them to recapitalize and return to financial health so they could resume paying the negotiated wage and benefit package. The company either can't or won't do that, but wants more concessions. If he allows this to continue, then he jeopardizes the jobs of the other union employees he represents who are in direct competition with Yellow (ABF) in the national LTL industry. While he can't control what FedEx and OD do, he has an obligation to his membership to prevent a unionized carrier from continuing to destroy the union wage and benefit scale. As brutal and heartless as that sounds, it is just the reality of the situation. They were given ample time to re-establish themselves. Concessionary contracts are a malignancy that eventually destroys the unionized sector. With Yellow's concessionary contract ended, the stark contrast between the unionized and non-unionized sectors is restored, and the potential for other companies' employees to want those benefits for themselves allows for effective union organizing to begin again. Hoffa Jr's mediocrity is finally ended. The displaced employees will find reemployment in the industry as the freight moves to other carriers. I went thru it as well 37 yrs ago, and yes it was painful...
My “concessionary” paycheck was over a thousand a week take home with full paid benefits for my family. Eight to ten hours ot. Job was fkkn fine. The only malignancy I noticed was Sean Obrien.

you do understand he can't allow this to continue. The concessions Yellow was granted was to allow them to recapitalize and return to financial health so they could resume paying the negotiated wage and benefit package. The company either can't or won't do that, but wants more concessions. If he allows this to continue, then he jeopardizes the jobs of the other union employees he represents who are in direct competition with Yellow (ABF) in the national LTL industry. While he can't control what FedEx and OD do, he has an obligation to his membership to prevent a unionized carrier from continuing to destroy the union wage and benefit scale. As brutal and heartless as that sounds, it is just the reality of the situation. They were given ample time to re-establish themselves. Concessionary contracts are a malignancy that eventually destroys the unionized sector. With Yellow's concessionary contract ended, the stark contrast between the unionized and non-unionized sectors is restored, and the potential for other companies' employees to want those benefits for themselves allows for effective union organizing to begin again. Hoffa Jr's mediocrity is finally ended. The displaced employees will find reemployment in the industry as the freight moves to other carriers. I went thru it as well 37 yrs ago, and yes it was painful...
PS. You see how much you give a hit about me and my family? That’s how much i give a ::shit:: about your tragedy thirty seven years ago. When a teamster barn was on every block i should remind you. Have a great fkkn weekend “brother”

36 years ago Teamsters were EVERYWHERE in freight. Good times
Yes it was. But it was a regulated industry with collective rate setting bureaus that mandated what rates the industry could charge in their respective areas of operating authority and who could be allowed to compete for freight within those areas, ie, furniture haulers could not grab an ltl backhaul from a broker, etc.. And then Carter and the congress turned everything on its head with deregulation in 1980, making millions of dollars of operating authority worthless with the stroke of a Potomac River sewer rat's pen. Everyone knows the sordid story of the chaos it caused, and so here we are. This is why President O'Brien has to take action against Yellow. If it was still a regulated industry. Yellow could not use those concessions to cut rates and disadvantage his other unionized companies he represents and that they are directly competing with. But in this tight, deregulated environment, that cannot be allowed to continue. We all hope Yellow finally realizes this and comes back to the table and starts to negotiate in good faith. A strike is the only leverage the union has. A unionized company absolutely requires competent management that is not only responsible to their shareholders and lenders, but also to their employees as well if they are to survive. That is what a union does, after all. It mandates that employees' rights and welfare become as important in corporate decision-making as the shareholders and bankers are. It instills an essential human desire for pride and equity and dignity in the majority of the workforce, but it absolutely requires an accepting and negotiable corporate mindset, not an adversarial one.

PS. You see how much you give a hit about me and my family? That’s how much i give a ::::shit:::: about your tragedy thirty seven years ago. When a teamster barn was on every block i should remind you. Have a great fkkn weekend “brother”
I do care about you, brother. I had to pimp myself out to non-union companies for a year and a half until I got the chance to get back into unionized freight. And I walked the picket lines for 3 weeks in 1994 when TMI refused to negotiate in good faith. I understand your anger, but it is misdirected. Yellow was one of the premier LTL freight companies in the country until Bill Zollars devastated it with his mismanagement. And I was fortunate to find some casual road work with them when they were. Their equipment and terminals were the envy of the industry. And if they do strike Monday, I'll be down at the picket lines here in Boise doing what I can to help. Because we are a Brotherhood. And I have people I worked with at ABF there now who refused to move in the last COO.

Last edited:
Yes it was. But it was a regulated industry with collective rate setting bureaus that mandated what rates the industry could charge in their respective areas of operating authority and who could be allowed to compete for freight within those areas, ie, furniture haulers could not grab an ltl backhaul from a broker, etc.. And then Carter and the congress turned everything on its head with deregulation in 1980, making millions of dollars of operating authority worthless with the stroke of a Potomac River sewer rat's pen. Everyone knows the sordid story of the chaos it caused, and so here we are. This is why President O'Brien has to take action against Yellow. If it was still a regulated industry. Yellow could not use those concessions to cut rates and disadvantage his other unionized companies he represents and that they are directly competing with. But in this tight, deregulated environment, that cannot be allowed to continue. We all hope Yellow finally realizes this and comes back to the table and starts to negotiate in good faith. A strike is the only leverage the union has. A unionized company absolutely requires competent management that is not only responsible to their shareholders and lenders, but also to their employees as well if they are to survive. That is what a union does, after all. It mandates that employees' rights and welfare become as important in corporate decision-making as the shareholders and bankers are. It instills an essential human desire for pride and equity and dignity in the majority of the workforce, but it absolutely requires an accepting and negotiable corporate mindset, not an adversarial one.
Ty for your explanation. I wil have plenty of time to read it next week after I file unemployment claim. Yaaay union

I do care about you, brother. I had to pimp myself out to non-union companies for a year and a half until I got the chance to get back into unionized freight.
Unionized freight lol.
I do care about you, brother. I had to pimp myself out to non-union companies for a year and a half until I got the chance to get back into unionized freight.
unionized freight lol

With Yellow gone O'Brien will only have to match non union Ltl's. He will be on easy street. Union benny's are over for you on your next contract. Enjoy it while it lasts. If you think concessions are $11 over five years and full medical $2 an hour 401K well , a lot of people don't think that is too bad. UPS level? No, but who is. This is all about 5% of the drivers that don't want to work the dock. The senior guys won't even have to work the dock. Is it stupid to have drivers work dock, yes. Is it going to be productive, no. But it is what they feel they need to keep us going. What a HUGE concession to make to save 20,000 jobs. Doing a couple hours of dock work might be the best thing for some of these drivers. They might live a little longer. Throw us 20,000 under the bus so you can protect your bargaining power. That is real brotherhood. I wouldn't even want you as a step brother.

I do care about you, brother. I had to pimp myself out to non-union companies for a year and a half until I got the chance to get back into unionized freight. And I walked the picket lines for 3 weeks in 1994 when TMI refused to negotiate in good faith. I understand your anger, but it is misdirected. Yellow was one of the premier LTL freight companies in the country until Bill Zollars devastated it with his mismanagement. And I was fortunate to find some casual road work with them when they were. Their equipment and terminals were the envy of the industry. And if they do strike Monday, I'll be down at the picket lines here in Boise doing what I can to help. Because we are a Brotherhood. And I have people I worked with at ABF there now who refused to move in the last COO.

With Yellow gone O'Brien will only have to match non union Ltl's. He will be on easy street. Union benny's are over for you on your next contract. Enjoy it while it lasts. If you think concessions are $11 over five years and full medical $2 an hour 401K well , a lot of people don't think that is too bad. UPS level? No, but who is. This is all about 5% of the drivers that don't want to work the dock. The senior guys won't even have to work the dock. Is it stupid to have drivers work dock, yes. Is it going to be productive, no. But it is what they feel they need to keep us going. What a HUGE concession to make to save 20,000 jobs. Doing a couple hours of dock work might be the best thing for some of these drivers. They might live a little longer. Throw us 20,000 under the bus so you can protect your bargaining power. That is real brotherhood. I wouldn't even want you as a step brother.
Yeah OK, go sit back in the closet. Yellow was the only thing holding UNION wages down.

PS. You see how much you give a hit about me and my family? That’s how much i give a ::::shit:::: about your tragedy thirty seven years ago. When a teamster barn was on every block i should remind you. Have a great fkkn weekend “brother”
Did you apply at any other union jobs? Or are you going to continue to cry about something that should have been done years ago. Truthfully i hope you find employment outside of the union because all you do is talk ::shit:: about it....

I guess misery loves company. Your a true mester wishing harm on fellow teamsters....

This has already been addressed by GO40 on the Yellow forum, but bears repeating. Why did Hawkins wait until the last minute to offer this supposed bump in pay. They can’t even afford to pay the $50 million they owe to keep your benefits going, but miraculously at the last minute, they can afford to give you a pay raise to puts you guys/gals in the same ball park as ABF and T-Force wages? Plus, rather than request to open up the contract to renegotiate last year or later this year, Yellow decides to ask in the middle of three other contracts being negotiated. Can you not smell the BullSh*t that Hawkins and Yellow is trying to pull? This may have worked on Hoffa, but in case you did not notice, there is a new sheriff in town. If Yellow and Hawkins were sincere about pulling off this wage bump, they should have made the Teamsters aware of it long before now. Plus, what is Hawkins wanting to take away from your contract to provide this wage bump? As far as I know, nobody outside of the Teamsters and Yellow have seen it. So, apparently there is something in there that O’Brien and company do not like about it!!!
O’Brien is not going to agree to anything that would violate his Oath to the Teamsters. If you think that the Teamsters don’t care about Yellow, you are wrong. We voted him in to lead us. Now, step out of his way and let him do his job!!!
Most importantly, the IBT president has the authority to make the decision whether or not to put any offer that the company makes to a vote. I think that the “offer” was just another tactic by Hawkins to divide the members.

Most importantly, the IBT president has the authority to make the decision whether or not to put any offer that the company makes to a vote. I think that the “offer” was just another tactic by Hawkins to divide the members.
Just MHO, But I would like to see if they are paying anybody as an advisor. The tactics being used, again in MHO, smell of a Hoffa JR

I guess misery loves company. Your a true mester wishing harm on fellow teamsters....
Every non yellow freight teamster is wishing unemployment on us and our families and we are the “mesters”? True Brotherhood. Good luck selling that ::shit:: trying to organize any other ltl company because after this it’s obvious “Brotherhood” is a fairytale

Did you apply at any other union jobs? Or are you going to continue to cry about something that should have been done years ago. Truthfully i hope you find employment outside of the union because all you do is talk ::::shit:::: about it...
The Teamster leader said “FKK YOU” to yellow workers so i said hey obrien- “FKK YOU BACK!” Unions lol Guess his behavior towards yellow members will help with organizing ltl in the future

Blaming the Union for what exactly? My issue with Union leadership is specifically them not working with Yellow to hammer out an agreement that Yellow workers can vote on and hopefully approve so unionized trucking won't take a huge hit by Yellow shutting down, not to mention the 30,000 current workers there who will be left high and dry.
Hoffa allowed the merger of Yellow Roadway Holland New Pen Reddaway, THAT was the first sign of a Bain Capital style destruction....

Every non yellow freight teamster is wishing unemployment on us and our families
Thats not true at all, a lot of us worked for A Yrc company at one time or another & still have friends there & even if they don’t nobody wants to hardship. You seem to be looking for a pity party, if something does happen with Yellow get off your a$$ & find another job you might even say you wish you did it years ago….