FedEx Freight | 2024 Furloughs

At FedEx you have to compete with heavy PT and rails.. idk how a Linehaul guy can see a long future here.. Heck they have their own chasis lol that part of their business is going nowhere

all we need is contractors to start touching more of our work and we won’t be needed as much, just saying.

At FedEx you have to compete with heavy PT and rails.. idk how a Linehaul guy can see a long future here.. Heck they have their own chasis lol that part of their business is going nowhere

all we need is contractors to start touching more of our work and we won’t be needed as much, just saying.
We’re moving to a shuttle only system with the increase in rail and PT. I don’t see us going the Ground route with linehaul contractors due to haz mat, but anything is possible I guess. All of our furlough drivers are coming back and we will have a 20+ man extra board with a real possibility of losing several runs. The real starvation games have begun.

We’re moving to a shuttle only system with the increase in rail and PT. I don’t see us going the Ground route with linehaul contractors due to haz mat, but anything is possible I guess. All of our furlough drivers are coming back and we will have a 20+ man extra board with a real possibility of losing several runs. The real starvation games have begun.
Without a doubt I agree with you on the more shuttle system. We are short a minimum of 30 runs since the boom, I honestly lost track after losing so many bid after bid. Our extraboard is a 30+ man board and has been for almost a full year now with no adjustments from central or
Local “leadership”

On occasion, maybe. I worked there 6 years and it was extremely rare to see a non OD truck on the yard except in cases where they were delivering drop shipment freight to be delivered locally by P&D operations. A vast majority of OD freight goes on OD trucks. Certainly far less than any other LTL.
Different areas of the country do not operate the same. Many miles between terminals.
OD was a regular at some Western UP rail yards.

I’ve never known them to use rail service. One thing they’re known for is rapid service from the east to west coast, and probably vice versa. They run a large number of teams to service that stuff. I think our service map out of Atlanta said 2 day service for freight originating in ATL going to LA.
I live near a main east / west line... they have trailers on rails.. I get to watch as i wait for the train to go through.

They have no reason to end them. They will continue, and imo, that's a good thing. Lets the guys that can hang back do so, and allow lower seniority guys a better chance of working, at the same time retaining as employeesboth if/when it picks up.
Literally no downside.
The downside for the company is that they're paying for the furloughed workers benefits. I think they're going to the starvation game, and if that doesn't work they might have a "workforce reduction".

The downside for the company is that they're paying for the furloughed workers benefits. I think they're going to the starvation game, and if that doesn't work they might have a "workforce reduction".
It was cheaper than severance for layoffs overall. We’ll get to see that story arc soon enough.

I didn't think they paid severance pay. They have offered buyouts to voluntary layoffs, but it has always been 1 weeks pay for each year of service, capped at 12 weeks pay. We've had furloughs for a year and a half now, thats a pretty big expense for benefits.

I didn't think they paid severance pay. They have offered buyouts to voluntary layoffs, but it has always been 1 weeks pay for each year of service, capped at 12 weeks pay. We've had furloughs for a year and a half now, thats a pretty big expense for benefits.

But that expense is expected to be paid back. It's not free and clear benefits.

But that expense is expected to be paid back. It's not free and clear benefits.
Also I'm pretty sure the government was giving the companies that kept employees thru covid scam 26,000 per employee. Your tax dollars by the way.

If I'm wrong. Why do I keep seeing commercials asking companies to call if you didn't receive plandemic relief and kept employees thru that time?

What yall that FedEx did something out of the kindness of their hearts. :lmao:

Also I'm pretty sure the government was giving the companies that kept employees thru covid scam 26,000 per employee. Your tax dollars by the way.

If I'm wrong. Why do I keep seeing commercials asking companies to call if you didn't receive plandemic relief and kept employees thru that time?

What yall that FedEx did something out of the kindness of their hearts. :lmao:

I think so too, that's why there was all this talk about hazard pay. You don't need it though, you got a banner letting you know you're a hero.

They cancel runs and then have PT set up at the other hub which normally would send freight with our guys but they canceled them. If your the last 2 in your lane it's not a good spot to be in. You are essentially the profit bid. Use you when the number crunching doesn't work that day but cancel you when they can make extra cash.

The employee pays back their portion of the benefits cost, the company pays for the rest, including part of the medical and the life ins.

I know, but the cost is the same. It's essentially a loan from the company that's expected to be paid back. The company isn't eating the cost so it doesn't cost them anything, unless the employee decides not to return.

When does the current furlough end? Any word on another round? I see there are some incentivized transfers this week to those on furlough. It's not near the list of locations they had last time though.