FedEx Freight | 2024 Furloughs

It has to be getting a little better. I’ve actually started seeing FedEx Freight sets out on the road the last week or so… before that I could go an entire week and not see a single one.

When does the current furlough end? Any word on another round? I see there are some incentivized transfers this week to those on furlough. It's not near the list of locations they had last time though.

I think it ended yesterday and I've heard no mention of another round.

When does the current furlough end? Any word on another round? I see there are some incentivized transfers this week to those on furlough. It's not near the list of locations they had last time though.
We were told they are no longer offering furloughs at our location. We have almost 20 drivers on our extra board and only 2 (two) got out today. They’re only letting a few drivers work the dock right now as well. I’d assume folks will start filling for unemployment soon since we’ve not been getting called for runs.

Last edited:
We were told they are no longer offering furloughs at our location. We have almost 20 drivers on our extra board and only 2 (two) got out today. They’re only letting a few drivers work the dock right now as well. I’d assume folks will start filling for unemployment soon since we’ve not getting called for runs.

That's been my experience as well

Yup it's slow as ::shit::. Empty pups are triple parked at my yard. Be sure to open an unemployment claim even if you're working a little. I'm amazed at how many people don't know you can collect partial unemployment even when you work 2 or 3 days a week.
FedEx charges a lot to destroy people's freight. It had to catch up to them sooner or later. I wonder if they're still charging extra for how many minutes a driver spends making their delivery.

Yup it's slow as ::::shit::::. Empty pups are triple parked at my yard. Be sure to open an unemployment claim even if you're working a little. I'm amazed at how many people don't know you can collect partial unemployment even when you work 2 or 3 days a week.
FedEx charges a lot to destroy people's freight. It had to catch up to them sooner or later. I wonder if they're still charging extra for how many minutes a driver spends making their delivery.

I guess that depends on where you live. Working one day you make more than one week worth of unemployment where I live. You can't claim unemployment benefits if you made more in a week than you would get from unemployment.

We were told they are no longer offering furloughs at our location. We have almost 20 drivers on our extra board and only 2 (two) got out today. They’re only letting a few drivers work the dock right now as well. I’d assume folks will start filling for unemployment soon since we’ve not been getting called for runs.
At my location anyone who doesn’t get out is allowed to work the dock.. just come in, no need to call and ask permission. They won’t let you get OT but you can get your 8 if need be. As of right now it’s this way and there’s an average of 10 drivers not getting runs out of a 30+ man board

At my location anyone who doesn’t get out is allowed to work the dock.. just come in, no need to call and ask permission. They won’t let you get OT but you can get your 8 if need be. As of right now it’s this way and there’s an average of 10 drivers not getting runs out of a 30+ man board
At least they are letting them work. Hats off to your management for that.

I know of a building in Virginia that they have about 3 guys not getting out on most nights and they aren’t letting them work the dock at their center. Reasoning I heard was because “they may be needed to cover a run in the AM”

That's insane. It's no wonder they can't keep anybody. People don't work just to say they work or out of the kindness of their heart, they need to earn an income to pay bills. Then when they lose people, they're confused as to why.

It was like this until a few weeks ago at our location. Too many drivers and not enough freight to move. You now have to call before you come in and they only let a certain number work with no guarantee of 8 hours. Purchase drivers running strong though.

Our bottom 3 drivers on average are only working 5 hours a day. It appears they are trying to starve them out but no one is quitting. We are waiting to see what FedEx's next move will be.