Yellow | 4 hour calls and holiday pay

hooterville_mom

TB Lurker
Credits
husband is on layoff, must commit to whether he will accept 4 hour calls by 12/17. according to the contract (central supplement) you must be available for work the 15 days before or after a holiday and work one of those days, can't turn down any work, blah blah. what I take from that is that if you don't agree to be available for 4 hour shifts they don't have to pay you for christmas eve/christmas/new year's. any other thoughts?

husband is on layoff, must commit to whether he will accept 4 hour calls by 12/17. according to the contract (central supplement) you must be available for work the 15 days before or after a holiday and work one of those days, can't turn down any work, blah blah. what I take from that is that if you don't agree to be available for 4 hour shifts they don't have to pay you for christmas eve/christmas/new year's. any other thoughts?
Very specific you don't have to accept 4 hour calls. It is a new classification and the parameters are not settled yet but seeing as it was stated that you didn't have to accept it, I would think it would come with no penalty for turning it down. Now I would not mess it up by saying I'm aviable sometimes and not others.

Ps And if you say no for the time being I'm sure you could change you mind later.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's the case then he will tell them to shove their 4 hour calls. When it takes an hour to get to work, a 4 hour shift is ridiculous.

Implementing a sign-up requirement for this position is a very bad idea. The classification was created to be filled with employees on layoff—employees that have been left to find a way to make a living any way they can... some of them have gone months, some years even without full-time employment. Requiring sign-up would put these employees in a position to be harangued, or possibly worse for refusing or ignoring a call. Management should be barred from even inquiring as to why an employee ignored or refused a call.. these employees deserves every advantage in pursuit of a living.

The letter he got...certified, BTW, makes him agree to either 4 hour opportunities, 8 hour opportunities, both or neither, and if he doesn't return it, he will be put down as requesting no work opportunities. I just don't trust the company not to screw him out of his holiday pay if he requests 8 hour opportunities only. He has a birthday, Christmas Eve, Christmas and New Year's all in the same 15 days. That's 4 days pay I don't want to let them get away with.

The letter he got...certified, BTW, makes him agree to either 4 hour opportunities, 8 hour opportunities, both or neither, and if he doesn't return it, he will be put down as requesting no work opportunities. I just don't trust the company not to screw him out of his holiday pay if he requests 8 hour opportunities only. He has a birthday, Christmas Eve, Christmas and New Year's all in the same 15 days. That's 4 days pay I don't want to let them get away with.

Personally, I would have the mind set that the company WILL screw him out of all pay he is deserved. If they pay it, great. If not, than not a surprise.

Since the new 4 hr. deal is all suppose to fall under the first 39 articles of the NMFA which is the same for all nationwide I think they have to call him when work is available and let him know if he is being called for a 4 or 8 hour shift. I would file on if not done this way.

Now I would not mess it up by saying I'm aviable sometimes and not others.
Time and time again you tools are so afraid of that sh#t company and management. Do what you need to do, and who gives a flying F what they think, they have to call you in seniority order PERIOD! Weather your a kiss a$$ or don't do a G.D. thing. When is everyone going to start acting like men around there? Amazing!

My question is only this: Does he have to make himself available for 4 hour calls to get holiday pay? He does not want to work 4 hour shifts.

My question is only this: Does he have to make himself available for 4 hour calls to get holiday pay? He does not want to work 4 hour shifts.
Nobody really knows. They are guessing. Have your husband ask his Business Agent. That is what they get paid for. Then you can post here what you find out per the BA.

The bottom line is I would not count on him being paid for the holidays. Just so you dont get your feelings hurt or get upset.

He needs to get the answer to this through his business agent not a message board on the internet. I could see how the company might try to use this gray area as a way to not have to pay for a holiday. Whatever happens please let us know what he's told.

HHHMMM. Looks like more gray area in the language of the proposal. I don't recall reading about these types of requirements before the vote. Looks like the employees will get molested by the company again.:2437: Keep up updated mom.

you have the option agree to the 8 hours and go to work if called. You indicate you could 4 8 or none. That way He can work for 8 hours and get holiday pay

He needs to get the answer to this through his business agent not a message board on the internet. I could see how the company might try to use this gray area as a way to not have to pay for a holiday. Whatever happens please let us know what he's told.
At the moment the BA would not be able to give any more of a definitive answer than we have seen here. The company will do what it will and let them fight it.

seriously, you're on layoff and expect to get paid ?
imagesqtbnANd9GcTjxh4rar9ywlc-s2dZb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

There's one thing i missed from your first post Hooterville Mom. You said he's on layoff. If he's on hard layoff he will not be getting holiday pay either way. There are guys on layoff status who get called occasionally and asked if they want to work a day. Just because they may accept the work call doesn't remove them from layoff status. While they're on hard layoff there is absolutely no obligation at all that they answer any work calls. The certified letter you mention is something i've yet to hear of. At some time did your husband receive a certified letter telling him he's laid off? If so, does the certified letter you just received tell him he's being recalled and taken off of layoff status? If i were him i'd say yes to both 4 hour calls and 8. When they call he can ask them which one he's being called for and based off of the language that has been agreed to he can say no to a 4 hour call every time. He can simply tell them his gas tank is empty and he can't raise enough money for gas to make it in and back home again.

BS Joe....I was laid off for a year and got all my Holidays. Just gotta make sure you play the game properly.

Amen to that Brother, you got to know how to game the game. Some guys I know look forward to being on layoff so they can dictate how they work for the week.