Yellow | 4 hour calls and holiday pay

BS Joe....I was laid off for a year and got all my Holidays. Just gotta make sure you play the game properly.

laid off won't be penalized for refusing four hour work..they won't be rewarded either unless they schedule a paid day off Christmas eve which would entitle them to Christmas Holiday pay..prob is they have no paid time coming

BS Joe....I was laid off for a year and got all my Holidays. Just gotta make sure you play the game properly.

Hey wolf,,Joe doesn't understand that there are more supplements out there ..Not just the NewEngland supplement...of which he claims to have worked under..I still think he is more on the management side...

In my opinion, a better way to implement the 4 hour classification would be to create an opt-out list, allow laid off employees to designate a phone number specifically for 4 hour calls, and prohibit sign-up sheets or any other mechanisms that may imply the employee has made a commitment to respond to calls. Furthermore, management should not be able to question any employee about any aspect of how the employee is or is not responding to calls.

More needs to be done to prevent this classification from becoming a tool to exploit those suffering the most.

most on layoff never came in especially if it were a Friday. Looks like the unemployment benefits will be extended once again. Bush tax cuts will remain even for the rich in return for allowing the unemployment check extension. The point is why would anyone want to work 4 hours if they are collecting? So rather then go thru the whole list on a daily basis like they once did the company narrows it down to who does want to work? If there was no extension the list of want to work would be full of names
185.gif

images

most on layoff never came in especially if it were a Friday. Looks like the unemployment benefits will be extended once again. Bush tax cuts will remain even for the rich in return for allowing the unemployment check extension. The point is why would anyone want to work 4 hours if they are collecting? So rather then go thru the whole list on a daily basis like they once did the company narrows it down to who does want to work? If there was no extension the list of want to work would be full of names
185.gif

images
By saying "us" feeding the hungry, are we safe in assuming you are outing yourself as management? If not, then let US decide who we help and what we do with our dollars!

Hey wolf,,Joe doesn't understand that there are more supplements out there ..Not just the NewEngland supplement...of which he claims to have worked under..I still think he is more on the management side...
I had'nt thought about that. She did say CS supplement and I thought Joe knew everything. :tongue:

We have a call into the business agent. They're all out of town. (of course) The guy who was there said he didn't think my husband had to accept a 4 hour call but he wasn't sure. (sound familiar?) See, he has been laid off since Nov 09 but has worked pretty steadily, and has always gotten holiday pay. You just have to work once in the 15 days before OR after the holiday and not refuse any work. However, the payroll lady told me they have cracked down on refusing work in the 15 day window and have denied pay to most of the laid off people. This is before the 4 hour deal.

There's one thing i missed from your first post Hooterville Mom. You said he's on layoff. If he's on hard layoff he will not be getting holiday pay either way. There are guys on layoff status who get called occasionally and asked if they want to work a day. Just because they may accept the work call doesn't remove them from layoff status. While they're on hard layoff there is absolutely no obligation at all that they answer any work calls. The certified letter you mention is something i've yet to hear of. At some time did your husband receive a certified letter telling him he's laid off? If so, does the certified letter you just received tell him he's being recalled and taken off of layoff status? If i were him i'd say yes to both 4 hour calls and 8. When they call he can ask them which one he's being called for and based off of the language that has been agreed to he can say no to a 4 hour call every time. He can simply tell them his gas tank is empty and he can't raise enough money for gas to make it in and back home again.

Yes, he got the certified layoff letter in Nov 09. This is not a recall letter, it's another certified letter titled "Layoff Work Opportunity Request."

Mom, let me answer some of your questions since no one else is helping you, and you can't reach your BA...
First, keep in mind ALL supplements around the country basically cover the same things, but are worded differently and each, only applies to the specific area in which your husband works. With that said, you said your husband is covered under the Central Supplements? I work under the Carolina Supplements, so I'll give you what we use...Several weeks ago, all the stewards in our barn called every man who was on layoff status (dock, p&d, yard) as per the instruction of our terminal manager, and asked if they would be interested in being put on a list to be called, should 4 hour work become available...this was done IN ADDITION to those who were already on the call sheets for 8 hour work. For those individuals we could not reach by phone, a letter was sent out to them with a brief explanation ( I'm assuming this is what your husband got).

We have 2 call sheets we use now, a 4 hour list and an 8 hour list.Men on the 8 hour list who signed up for 4 as well, will now be called for both, some guys didn't want to sign up for 4 hours, so they will only be called when 8 hours of work is available. The company's thought is, this will increase the opportunity for a laid off man to be called in for work. When work becomes available, and we need to call people in, we use both lists depending on how much work we have...At any time, a man can pass on a work call with no penalty, however, just like the contract states....if he refuses 3 work calls, his name will be removed from the call sheets, and he will only be put back on with a written request. When we call for work, you must be told if it's for 4 hours or 8.

Now on to your question about being paid for the holidays...in OUR supplement, you must have at least one punch either the week before, the week of, or the week after to get paid for the holiday. In addition,if you are in lay off, you MUST be available to work the day before AND the day after a holiday should the company need you. This applies to both a 4 hour work call or an 8 hour work call. If you call out sick, don't answer your phone if called, or refuse the call, you will NOT be paid. Otherwise, if your not needed, you will automatically be paid for the holiday.

Hopefully I answered some of your concerns, if not PM me with you question, and I'll do my best to give you an honest answer....G-Man

My question is only this: Does he have to make himself available for 4 hour calls to get holiday pay? He does not want to work 4 hour shifts.
No he doesnt have to sign for a 4hr shift. From the sign up letter that ive seen in KC he doesnt have to sign for the 4hr call. Have him sign for the 8hrs only and not the (4hr and 8hr box to be called for both). If he signs for 8 only then he wont get a call for 4hrs so he cant turn it down risking his holiday pay.

I think it's very unfortunate that the phrase shall be offered daily in the sentence “Work performed by this new classification shall be offered daily first to laid off local cartage workers.” has somehow been ignored or misinterpreted.

I think it's very unfortunate that the phrase shall be offered daily in the sentence “Work performed by this new classification shall be offered daily first to laid off local cartage workers.” has somehow been ignored or misinterpreted.
I understand not wanting to make it easy for the Fat Arse behind the desk. Really they are not asking any differnt than with the eight hour call. You wishes of call or not will be the last writen notifacation, and can be changed weekly

I do not raise this issue because I want to make things more difficult for the company. Following the MOU to the letter will do little to take away from, what is to the company, an incredibly valuable new classification. Keep in mind the companies role in writing this language and assume they factored in all the costs. Also, do not forget that members cast their votes based on this language which specifically states that the work shall be offered daily... not weekly or on any other schedule.

Talked to the BA today and he said that hubby did NOT have to accept 4 hours calls to qualify for holiday pay. He also said the 4 hour shifts would be offered to all laid off, THEN TO CASUALS, and then 8 hour shifts offered to the laid off. The casuals cannot total more than 10% of the active board.

Talked to the BA today and he said that hubby did NOT have to accept 4 hours calls to qualify for holiday pay. He also said the 4 hour shifts would be offered to all laid off, THEN TO CASUALS, and then 8 hour shifts offered to the laid off. The casuals cannot total more than 10% of the active board.

Thank you for the update H-Mom .

Please explain why He wouldn't go in for either one as He is just sitting at home babysitting or fishing. Help the company out for crying out loud.

triple threat i hope you are not serious!! watching and helping out my grand children would be much more of a priority then being on call 24/7 for a 4 hour shift on the dock in the winter at pos 309!

Last edited by a moderator: