ABF | ABF and Amazon

Why does this entire thread just seem suspicious?
Not sure what's suspicious . I like LTL, grew up around it with family working for several old school carriers, Eazor, Duff, and Transcon to be specific . I worked for Carolina till the merger, didn't have enough whiskers to hold a job. Pulled tankers for a while then with a private fleet then back to LTL with R&L about 8 years ago. I honestly still struggle with the idea that Yellow and Big R are now YRC. Never in a million years did I think that would happen. Spent a short time with Condolidated as a casual, saw what happened there. Just curious about all this ecommerce freight. Thank god my peddle run had limited residentials . So there it is, I'm nosey and curious and like to learn about the industry in which I work.

Never heard of any of those accounts. Lots of new equipment rolling in daily. I was looking to have an intelligent conversation about how LTL is morphing and changing to a beast I don't like because of cheap econmerce freight that delivers to places that have no idea of the difference between household goods, LTL, parcel, container , TL, or food service deliveries. I have not attacked ABF or the union. I am stunned given my time with CFCC and the time away from LTL that these kind of setup deliveries were being done. I was also curious about the warehouse structures that Von described and why an LTL would need that kind of facility. You guys seem touchy. I'm not going to get in a pissing contest about hourly pay, equipment, my company is better than your company etc. I wish you the best and hope the scenario I see developing does not hurt you or anyone else on this forum .
Your questions were answered over & over.... Send Von a P.M. & ask him about warehousing Amazon because no one here knows anything about it....

Your questions were answered over & over.... Send Von a P.M. & ask him about warehousing Amazon because no one here knows anything about it....
You are incorrect sir. They were answered by several people and several answers conflicted with each other. The ABF guy in my area swore up and down ABF never did set up deliveries inside a facility. Others answered to the contrary. As it turns out, it is handled differently in different geographic areas. I do not consider that to be "answered over & over". So in the end , I ended up learning something new.

You are incorrect sir. They were answered by several people and several answers conflicted with each other. The ABF guy in my area swore up and down ABF never did set up deliveries inside a facility. Others answered to the contrary. As it turns out, it is handled differently in different geographic areas. I do not consider that to be "answered over & over". So in the end , I ended up learning something new.
It was answered, some sub work out others choose to fight for our work. It’s a service and offered for years & years, you think this just started with e-commerce boom....

From the classes I had to take for the freight sleds, they tell you the company is going into warehousing , not just for amazon. So instead of a customer warehousing their product, then calling abf in to p/u it they want to cut that middle man warehouse out. Example.... your service area has a cardboard maker, who sends his product to outside warehouse to hold and ship out as needed. They plan on going after the work, truckloads will be shipped with the arcbest truckload carriers, ltl will go on abf trucks.

The sleds are just being put into service to free up trailers faster and so the amount of doors can be limited.
they say with the sleds, a trailer will on sit at a door for 15 min or less, sleds pulled out, new already loaded sleds pushed in.

It was answered, some sub work out others choose to fight for our work. It’s a service and offered for years & years, you think this just started with e-commerce boom....
You are a prickly one. I never said it started with ecommerce, but ecommerce has certainly expanded it

From the classes I had to take for the freight sleds, they tell you the company is going into warehousing , not just for amazon. So instead of a customer warehousing their product, then calling abf in to p/u it they want to cut that middle man warehouse out. Example.... your service area has a cardboard maker, who sends his product to outside warehouse to hold and ship out as needed. They plan on going after the work, truckloads will be shipped with the arcbest truckload carriers, ltl will go on abf trucks.
Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. I had not considered that kind of model. A new twist on the JIT model.

You just mentioned e-commerce freight 6 posts ago. You seem to have a really bad comprehension issue. With that being said keep asking the same stuff over & over, I’m sure others will stop replying. Just like I am....
I believe the comprehension issue resides with you. You aren't bibs under a different screen name are you. You seem obsessed with me. Others posted useful, new and enlightening information , you wasted time and effort attacking me, thank you for not responding to me anymore.

I believe the comprehension issue resides with you. You aren't bibs under a different screen name are you. You seem obsessed with me. Others posted useful, new and enlightening information , you wasted time and effort attacking me, thank you for not responding to me anymore.
Go play your games elsewhere. You got answers and keep asking the same crap. Are you mad we can haul Amazon at a profit? We will haul Russian ammunition if it paid well enough. Amazon is 5% of retail spending and 49% of e-commerce. Your not going to get to far attacking one of our own on his own company thread.
https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/13/a...arket-is-now-49-or-5-of-all-retail-spend/amp/

Go play your games elsewhere. You got answers and keep asking the same crap. Are you mad we can haul Amazon at a profit? We will haul Russian ammunition if it paid well enough. Amazon is 5% of retail spending and 49% of e-commerce. Your not going to get to far attacking one of our own on his own company thread.
https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/13/a...arket-is-now-49-or-5-of-all-retail-spend/amp/
You need to reread the posts there friend. I attacked no one. I was asking legitimate questions about a new way of utilizing LTL equipment and personnel . There is a block button if he didn't like what I was asking. He could simply not have participated in the thread much in the same way you can block me . I have made it abundantly clear why I was asking about the sleds, warehouses and Amazon freight. I have been polite and courteous.

Praytell, what game is it you think I'm playing?

And you think I'm MAD because you're hauling Amazon freight ?
That proves you've paid very little attention to what I've said in the thread. I'm thrilled R&L handles none or very little.

Last edited:
So if all you are doing is asking legitimate questions so you can learn, could you show me where in this is the legitimate question?
Read the posts and in sure you can figure it out, and I don't find it uncivil, I impugned no ones character or intelligence. Again, if you don't like what I've posted or said , don't respond, block me , or report me.