ABF | ABF-Teamsters Contract Negotiations Update 4-19-13

Why bother being union if you are not willing to strike. That is the only leverage we have. If the company thinks no one is willing to strike then we have absolutely no power... I willing and able if it comes to it...

Why bother being union if you are not willing to strike. That is the only leverage we have. If the company thinks no one is willing to strike then we have absolutely no power... I willing and able if it comes to it...
Your powerless if your unemployed genius. If you guys strike, it would show your true intelligence. Competition would swallow your little bitty company and not even have to hire extra help

They will sit people home and force overtime. You are linehaul with a bid start time.You have no idea what will be done to dock and p&d workers. They can also screw with extra board linehaul drivers, say. give them a mini and send them home. You have said before.that you got lucky with getting a bid. If you ever had to suffer on the extra board you would understand. They will screw with the hours you work. No conspiracy here.......just years of being on the extra board and knowing what management will do. For someone who is ex roadway....you should know this,but maybe you were lucky at roadway too.

you hit the nail on the head there. you can tell the drivers who are running a bid start time by how they speak on this board and others.. When this gets done and ABF gets their COO [which is coming no matter the outcome of the vote] you will see plenty of drivers with 8 10 or even 15 years seniority pushed into the big DCs where their seniority wont get them diddlysquat. It will get them maybe 2 or 3 trips a week which would be nowhere near the hours needed for H and W to be covered if this proposal goes through. ABF wont be paying your premiums with those kind of hours. It wont matter how many gallons of coffee and trays of donuts you bring in for the dispatchers then......youll be in the back of the line with everybody else wishing that things were "back the way they were"....All im really saying here is dont think it cant happen to you and your terminal....cuz in a heartbeat you can be off your bid, off your insurance, and waiting for a work call that never comes.....

Skeeter you are correct sir: Nobody wants a strike, but sometimes it is the leverage you need. I don't want one but I am not afraid of having one either...... I personally think we need a strike vote just for leverage.

Your powerless if your unemployed genius. If you guys strike, it would show your true intelligence. Competition would swallow your little bitty company and not even have to hire extra help

I now know why you work for Conway now, you don't have a backbone, I see you will do whatever they tell you to do.

They will sit people home and force overtime. You are linehaul with a bid start time.You have no idea what will be done to dock and p&d workers. They can also screw with extra board linehaul drivers, say. give them a mini and send them home. You have said before.that you got lucky with getting a bid. If you ever had to suffer on the extra board you would understand. They will screw with the hours you work. No conspiracy here.......just years of being on the extra board and knowing what management will do. For someone who is ex roadway....you should know this,but maybe you were lucky at roadway too.

Really!!! They can screw with extra board!? In all my time here, most of it on extra board, I didn't realize that! In fact I'm extra board now, thanks for the heads up!
Btw, nearly half my return runs on bid and extr board are 284 mile mini's. On a bid, that sucked, but on extra board I love em. I'll run them every trip if u could on the extra board.

Now let get clear here. My conspiracy remark was in reference to my claim that ABF is conducting an "Erron" style of business practice. Not that we aren't going to work rule changes.

Really!!! They can screw with extra board!? In all my time here, most of it on extra board, I didn't realize that! In fact I'm extra board now, thanks for the heads up!
Btw, nearly half my return runs on bid and extr board are 284 mile mini's. On a bid, that sucked, but on extra board I love em. I'll run them every trip if u could on the extra board.

Now let get clear here. My conspiracy remark was in reference to my claim that ABF is conducting an "Erron" style of business practice. Not that we aren't going to work rule changes.
What is an Erron style?

Talk about genius. I'm surprised you can spell the word. Did you have to use a dictionary? But maybe you're right we should take cuts in our pension and what else the company wants to do. This is a man's world if you're not ready for it we will do the fighting for you. Real men always do...

looks just like a non -union company lol... imagine that :) hell, why didn't they say that they want to eliminate O.T. too ! jeeez. no Thanks!

You are dead on with the strike. The only power rank & file have left. If necessary, it can be a very powerful tool. It is real simple, call their bluff, or fold your hand and bend over.

Skeeter you are correct sir: Nobody wants a strike, but sometimes it is the leverage you need. I don't want one but I am not afraid of having one either...... I personally think we need a strike vote just for leverage.

I differently don't want to have to go on strike. But I will stand with the rank-in -file is that the way you say it. I haven't been a teamster to long. :LMAO:
But I are one now...

What is an Erron style?
Brother ABFer,...if I may presume to think I know what Mr. Stoney meant....(Lord help me...)....I believe he meant "Enron",......and I think he is the only one to bring up Enron. The rest of us just think it's business as usual, with corporate headquarters issuing different sets of numbers for different sets of people to achieve whatever goal they're trying to get. Whatever numbers were released to the IRS or the SEC are the ones those groups have accepted....no one has seen cause to file charges that these are false.....yet. In the last couple of weeks, on the KeepOnTrucking "info" site, ABF has raised their "losses" from 230 million to 250 million....Mr. Stoney is confused,....there is a law about lying to the IRS or the SEC.....there is no law concerning lying.....or "creative" accounting....to a companies' employees. An "Enron" style conspiracy would be about defrauding the government by not paying taxes on the money you raided from your employees 401(k) plan. The taxes not paid on the stolen money was all the government was worried about.....shame about the employees' 401(k)'s but.....hey, that's gambling on the stock market.....

Rollin62,...you seem to know very little about how a Union works. Did you come to this site to learn....or to agitate? If I didn't know any better, I'd say that corporate management has taken over your body, and are speaking right out of your mouth. Are you here to observe and learn about a difficult and complex issue...IN WHICH WE HAVE A SAY.....in the hopes of taking that information back to your fellow employees at Conway and possibly organizing?.........or do you have your pom-poms and short skirt on, standing on the sidelines, cheering on the corporate side? ..........with the occasional unhelpful remark? Please don't worry about our intelligence.....we've already passed the intelligence test......one you're only faintly aware of. We KNOW what our labor is worth.

Guess I don't know anything about a union. Teamsters must not be doing a good job in educating the young generation with your dues. I got to do it myself on this board. Just seems like you guys don't even look outside the box as abf possibly could néed some help with these pension payments or Heath costs. The nons don't have these kind of expenses. It seems impossible for abf to compete. Oh well, conway is always hiring If u guys need a job. We don't pay a pension, Heath care is expensive, and no ot in the south after 8, and contractors haul out long haul freight. Our dock hands make around 12 with no bennies.I don't see the teamsters trying to rescue us anytime soon. On your application, write Rollin 62 on you reference section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess I don't know anything about a union. Teamsters must not be doing a good job in educating the young generation with your dues. I got to do it myself on this board. Just seems like you guys don't even look outside the box as abf possibly could néed some help with these pension payments or Heath costs. The nons don't have these kind of expenses. It seems impossible for abf to compete. Oh well, conway is always hiring If u guys need a job. We don't pay a pension, Heath care is expensive, and no ot in the south after 8, and contractors haul out long haul freight. Our dock hands make around 12 with no bennies.I don't see the teamsters trying to rescue us anytime soon. On your application, write Rollin 62 on you reference section.
Why is conway always hiring?

On the new hire thread post #67 you said "i have a great bid", all daytime runs etc. etc. Now you're back on the extra board and you love the mini's. Are they all daytime runs ? Did you lose the bid run to seniority or just give up the great daytime bid to run extraboard ?