ABF | ABF-Teamsters Contract Negotiations Update 4-19-13

I hate to strike but the companies revenue was over 2 billion $$$$$ last year. Does anyone really think that management is going give up that kind of $$$? Does anyone believe the board of directors will let management close the doors? What about the stock ($$$) that management owns. And the major share holders outside the company; are these investors going to let ABF management throw their money away? I believe negotiations are compromises, not giveaways. ABF management is asking for giveaways and we, as employees, may need to remind them that we are not powerless!!!

Hey truxforever

Haven't looked but when looking at SEC filings were you looking at consolidated ABC or just ABF. I bet the 230 loss is ABF only and doesn't include the subsidiaries that made money.

Just a thought.

I hate to strike but the companies revenue was over 2 billion $$$$$ last year. Does anyone really think that management is going give up that kind of $$$? Does anyone believe the board of directors will let management close the doors? What about the stock ($$$) that management owns. And the major share holders outside the company; are these investors going to let ABF management throw their money away? I believe negotiations are compromises, not giveaways. ABF management is asking for giveaways and we, as employees, may need to remind them that we are not powerless!!!
Revenue was 2.07-cost of goods sold is 2.08 billion resulting in a loss of 14 million. This is real simple, a company is either profitable or it is not. Right now ABF under its cost structure is not profitable and its competition is.
Unlike the giveback vote three years, the company is not saying the doors will close. This is of note and every teamster should at least ask yourself why the change? Could it be they might just love for the teamsters to walk out? Damn, they won't have a 120 million contribution to teamster pensions. You might want to seek the feedback of the central states pension trustees if The fund went six months without the contributions of its largest contributer.
Lastly, the stock has lost over 400 percent in value the last 5 years. It is delusion to argue they have done this purposely. The major stockholders like mr. Young, Judy and Roy have lost Millions in personal income that will only be recovered if the stock price goes to 45 again. You will not find any of the most bullish stock analyst predicting half of that price. Corporations only lie about earnings to drive a stock up not down.

What you should really do is go to Washington D.C. and tell the President that your dues helped elect that his economic policies suck and he needs to do something other then campaign and get business going again in the US. Don't blame Bush or Congress or anyone other then the President. He screwed you with his healthcare bill and screwed you with his green energy money to the failed companies who took your money and went belly up. He is more focused on guns then on jobs. He wants you to believe that your Union reps care about you more then they do about their own pockets. As a union member for many years I worked for many companies that the unions forced to close the doors. I started driving in 1970 and before 1980 I worked for 6 different companies, all closed because of union demands. You want to join the ranks of the unemployed? Sounds like it! Face the facts the economy sucks and the companies are fighting for the freight like every other company is fighting for business. More companies close every day for lack of business and with the new Obamacare demands more will clos or reduce employees just to stay in business. The trucking industry is not what it was 20 years ago and the ones like Hoffa and Trumka want you to think it is. What is the answer I don't know but you had better really look at what you have and what you could lose.

Some of These guys seem like a bunch of spoiled babies that take take and take. They probably haven't given up anything since they were weened off Mommas tits.! I'll laugh if these certain babies put abf under. I feel sorry for the ones that actually work hard an make it happen everyday. Good luck to the hard working teamster.

Rollin62, I was just wondering if you might be Stoney's long lost brother? Or maybe your desks are across from each others in the office?

On the new hire thread post #67 you said "i have a great bid", all daytime runs etc. etc. Now you're back on the extra board and you love the mini's. Are they all daytime runs ? Did you lose the bid run to seniority or just give up the great daytime bid to run extraboard ?
How dare you do your homework and dig up de dirt on de jackass. :732:

Somewhere I think Rollin62 got lost in the mix. He started out wishing us well knowing that we set the trend right now, whether that trend be up or down and he hoped we made it trend up. Now it seems more like he sees we have gloom and doom on the road ahead and he has gotten beaten up for it which, in turn has made him a little sour and even wishing doom for some of us. Believe me if we sell out the race to the bottom is on at full steam ahead (well, down actually). We have made our voices be heard and for now all we can do is wait. Thus far it seems that the IBT is holding the line on concessions and to me that is a good thing.

The insurance companies are against the president's health care law for 2 reasons.. AND ONLY 2 ! #1. They want lifetime limits restored, in other words...they want to put a price back on your life,( a maximum). #2. they want pre-existing conditions re-stored. As far as whether doctors & drug companies like 'obamcare' ..I hear & read from both sides of the fence. some like it, some don 't . Health care is nothing more than big business now. At least he tried to reel them in a little. I give him credit for that. Health care should be a right, not a privilege. My oldest daughter works for the largest of the 'health care' companies and she's shared a few stories with me that I cannot repeat. One more thing... when did Insurance companies become health care providers?? I'm pretty sure it wasn't always like this.. :)

With our low cost structure, we just keep growin. Wonder why abf says theyre in trouble? Abf always hiring?

Are you sure you are Labor, like the rest of us? You're not in management, are you? Some of your comments seem like company cheerleading. It's not "your" low cost structure. ...it's Conways'.....And....who's "growing"?.You also seem to know a lot about many other regions. You're the first Conway....ummm...."employee" who can say with certainty what's going on in different parts of the country. No OT down South after 8? Dock conditions? How come You seem to have the inside scoop? I have some friends who work for Conway for years.....and they couldn't tell me half of what you seem to know. By the way.....you never answered my questions as to whether Conway has fired people in the past on trumped-up charges....a couple of dozen posts ago. You just blew right past answering....never responded. Are you really rooting for us to do well in this contract? Or are you looking for our downfall?

On the new hire thread post #67 you said "i have a great bid", all daytime runs etc. etc. Now you're back on the extra board and you love the mini's. Are they all daytime runs ? Did you lose the bid run to seniority or just give up the great daytime bid to run extraboard ?

Lol, it was a great bid. Not a big money maker, but was a great schedule.

Both, lost the bid to seniority and was going to jump off it anyways and make some money this summer.
On a bid(lay down), its 3 trips one week, two the next week. So mini's on a bid suck, because you get so many trips a week, and its hard to make up the loss revenue
But a mini on the xtra brd, are cool with me, I can bang out 7 to 8 week, and still have a good check.
8 hours pay for 5 hours work? Its a great deal!

We also bid twice a year, Oct and April. Just went back on xtra brd a couple weeks ago.

Both, lost the bid to seniority and was going to jump off it anyways and make some money this summer.
On a bid(lay down), its 3 trips one week, two the next week. So mini's on a bid suck, because you get so many trips a week, and its hard to make up the loss revenue
But a mini on the xtra brd, are cool with me, I can bang out 7 to 8 week, and still have a good check.

We also bid twice a year, Oct and April. Just went back on xtra brd a couple weeks ago.
Yea, and I was going to quit anyway they just fired me right before I handed in my resignation. :hysterical:

8 hrs pay for 5 hrs work? Now there's something I'll be happy to vote away, no company can afford to sustain that kind of ridiculousness.

Somewhere I think Rollin62 got lost in the mix. He started out wishing us well knowing that we set the trend right now, whether that trend be up or down and he hoped we made it trend up. Now it seems more like he sees we have gloom and doom on the road ahead and he has gotten beaten up for it which, in turn has made him a little sour and even wishing doom for some of us. Believe me if we sell out the race to the bottom is on at full steam ahead (well, down actually). We have made our voices be heard and for now all we can do is wait. Thus far it seems that the IBT is holding the line on concessions and to me that is a good thing.
He talked a good game at first, then turned into a jellyfish ....

How will you make up the lost revenue when you vote for concessions?

Yea, and I was going to quit anyway they just fired me right before I handed in my resignation. :hysterical:

8 hrs pay for 5 hrs work? Now there's something I'll be happy to vote away, no company can afford to sustain that kind of ridiculousness.

This post go over your head? I already decided to run the xtra brd for the summer before rebidding. When we finally rebidded, that bid went to a higher seniority driver. So ya, both.

And now your against the hard fought union fight for a guaranteed 8 hours pay? You must be management! Lol