ABF | Any new freight?

I am glad you pointed that out. Every year there is something new on the tractors, usually emission controls or electronic safety features. I did not envision today's trucks when I started working for a freightline. I would have never thought a fault code on a tractor could be diagnosed from a shop hundreds or even thousands of miles away. Or that an onboard camera could be accessed from the same distance. An old brain doesn't process new advancements well but I enjoy attempting to do so.
Way back when, I thought a 238 Detroit was a big horse. Probably part of the reason I drive 46 mph?

Way back when, I thought a 238 Detroit was a big horse. Probably part of the reason I drive 46 mph?
Any truck with a Detroit engine in it had to be equipped with 2 things. A 55 gallon drum of oil, & a set of ear plugs. von.

On the other hand Roger Penske made his money building truck engines & such. He must have done something right. He shelled out 300 million for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. von.

Any truck with a Detroit engine in it had to be equipped with 2 things. A 55 gallon drum of oil, & a set of ear plugs. von.

On the other hand Roger Penske made his money building truck engines & such. He must have done something right. He shelled out 300 million for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. von.
Some years ago a guy driving a Detroit came to the fuel desk to pay his fuel bill.
He looked at the bill and said " I told you I wanted 8 qts of oil and 100 gals of fuel"
The guy says I didn't hear about the oil.
The driver said, I'm in a hurry, just go pour it on the ground, it'll be there in 30 minutes anyway.

Some years ago a guy driving a Detroit came to the fuel desk to pay his fuel bill.
He looked at the bill and said " I told you I wanted 8 qts of oil and 100 gals of fuel"
The guy says I didn't hear about the oil.
The driver said, I'm in a hurry, just go pour it on the ground, it'll be there in 30 minutes anyway.
A lot more truth in your statement than people realize. If the newbes to trucking had to start out with a Detroit engine, they would not complete their first dispatch. For they would be fleeing for the hills. von.

Them old 6-71 238 Detroit's sure sounded like they were going somewhere fast.

I can remember RDWY had some 6v-53's in city tractors. At YFSY they were in our yard horses with the Allison Auto trans. They really screamed. Those were the days.

Kind of like when I waz 12 the mail person (Politically Correct) brought my first 22. Left it lean against the mail box post.

I can remember RDWY had some 6v-53's in city tractors. At YFSY they were in our yard horses with the Allison Auto trans. They really screamed. Those were the days.

Kind of like when I waz 12 the mail person (Politically Correct) brought my first 22. Left it lean against the mail box post.
I doubt it would stay against the mailbox very long today.

I bought a J.C. Higgins 12ga. shotgun from Sears many years ago.

Even better when you have an air starter to make the girls wet their pants.
Cover the ears? Wait for the lane switching jerk pulls up beside you. Then, just as the light changes open up the air valve on your train horn. Loss of hearing? Rapid blood pressure rise? Just as long as you get their attention. The good Locomotive train horns are rated @ 150db. Led Zeplin would be envious. von.

No New frieght at ABF just damaged and late freight or freight sitting on the dock for a week or freight that is lost.
About 12 years ago 050 Indy had lost 2 skids worth 80,00 bucks. Some thought it had been stolen. 5 months later it was found on the Atlanta dock in OS&D covered in 2 inches of dust. By then the claim had already been paid. Funny thing it had been routed thru Atlanta then Indy as the final destination. Atlanta is a large terminal near the airport. Why did it take 5 months to find 2 skids.

Coles Express in Bangor Maine ran 12 cabover Diamond Reos with Detroits until Roadway Services bought Coles in 1992 and replaced them with new KW single axles for P&D, The Diamonds had been taken off linehaul and one is in the Cole Museum in
Bangor. Coles owned a Reo dealership then a Diamond Reo and later the two Freightliner dealerships in Maine. Dealerships were sold when Roadway purchased Coles and are now Freightliner of Maine, Those Diamonds would howl and last one I saw was on 95 pulling a container to Boston,