ODFL | Are drivers quitting because of the cameras?

4 months ago when I got the camera I put the visor down and I've left it down ever since. 9 out of 10 days I don't even remember there's a camera in there. I literally don't see any difference. Had to call one time for following too close. They said I was to close for about a half second or something and was no big deal

Following too close a half a damn second. After all that ::shit:: piled up to their eyeballs in the office they have to hunt for violators on the blessed cameras too?

I tell you this... Some of the stuff Ive done to their trucks back in the day I would have been thrown out on my ass on the spot if they could catch me. IF there was a camera aboard.

One morning 6 of us pounded the two left lanes of the American Legion Bridge in dollar speeds together racing for the Pentagon Silos. 5 of us will get hooked while 6th waited a hour plus. HE will only get 4 loads at 62 dollars per load for the day while the other 5 of us got 5 loads in at 62.00 each which is about 300 something dollars a day. Speeding tickets for 30 over was roughly 60 dollars so its worth the risk. And a couple of points. Takes 4 tickets before suspension. (In those days decades ago... not like today)

Cameras. HA.

4 months ago when I got the camera I put the visor down and I've left it down ever since. 9 out of 10 days I don't even remember there's a camera in there. I literally don't see any difference. Had to call one time for following too close. They said I was to close for about a half second or something and was no big deal
but did you get done for the day sooner because you were driving a faster truck? That's what's important.

Following too close a half a damn second. After all that **** piled up to their eyeballs in the office they have to hunt for violators on the blessed cameras too?

I tell you this... Some of the stuff Ive done to their trucks back in the day I would have been thrown out on my ass on the spot if they could catch me. IF there was a camera aboard.

One morning 6 of us pounded the two left lanes of the American Legion Bridge in dollar speeds together racing for the Pentagon Silos. 5 of us will get hooked while 6th waited a hour plus. HE will only get 4 loads at 62 dollars per load for the day while the other 5 of us got 5 loads in at 62.00 each which is about 300 something dollars a day. Speeding tickets for 30 over was roughly 60 dollars so its worth the risk. And a couple of points. Takes 4 tickets before suspension. (In those days decades ago... not like today)

Cameras. HA.
I saw a commercial the other day on tv for a new show coming on cable called, You Ain't Gonna Believe This Sh!T! The backround looked like your avatar? Was wondering if you were going to be the host?

They can have the self driving crap. Oh thats going to bite us all in our green ass.

Cutting costs by eliminating humans. Wunnerbar.

The last three Rentals all had cameras and not just for people but also for adaptive, lane keeping and other crap. At times I had to fight with the vehicle on our freeway to get it to behave. Happy to keep my old Tahoe that has none of that **** in it until the USA Outlaws it or something.
I hate it when the closet thing in front of you is 2 tractor trailer lenghts ahead of you and it hard brakes on its on and scares the crap out of you because you wasnt expecting it because nothing was around you. Damn ghost trucks or something i guess.

My specialty is mountain ice.

I do NOT want a computer anything in that damn truck doing anything against me. There are times I have that rig just so on that ice and a computer will just eff it up and that would be that.

The last rental had forward radar in our traffic on the freeway, I was trying to make time at a certain speed just so against a appointment to the minute. The damn thing fought me because people in front were going a touch slower.

I realized after 10 minutes I was enraged fighting the ******* vehicle itself.

That was the foundation of my irrevocable decision never to have a computer anything. 18 wheeler or car or nothing.

I don't get why drivers are quitting because of the cameras? To be honest, I don't mind the cameras at all. Here's why, I am out of the truck when I go off duty. I can def see why drivers are quitting if the camera is on you and you live in the truck(OTR). That is truly unfair! I do have a friend that is OTR and his company allows him to cover camera when he goes on his break which is nice. But, here, I don't stay in the truck. I used to go to the hotel, but now I'm home everyday so I can do whatever I want when I get home and it's none of anyones business what I do at home.

They need to put cameras in the Office areas too for lazy ones to doing this all day !
f49655f04fc639b7a3e30dc7cc089144.jpg

I don't get why drivers are quitting because of the cameras? To be honest, I don't mind the cameras at all. Here's why, I am out of the truck when I go off duty. I can def see why drivers are quitting if the camera is on you and you live in the truck(OTR). That is truly unfair! I do have a friend that is OTR and his company allows him to cover camera when he goes on his break which is nice. But, here, I don't stay in the truck. I used to go to the hotel, but now I'm home everyday so I can do whatever I want when I get home and it's none of anyones business what I do at home.
If anyone is quitting because of the camera I haven't seen it. I guess if you're ok with a $40k year a job pulling a reefer with shiny wheels be my guest and go. Most of the LTL's are going to(or already are)monitoring their drivers in one form or another. It's gonna happen whether its wanted by drivers or not.

They need to put cameras in the Office areas too for lazy ones to doing this all day !
f49655f04fc639b7a3e30dc7cc089144.jpg
I've been on the corporate side of this business, and trust me, those workers have been monitored a lot longer than drivers. I got called on the carpet for spending too much time reading industry news sites on the internet, way back in 2008 before we all had smartphones and Facebook. One of many reasons I got out.

I don't know about drivers quitting but I do know drivers who don't apply because of the cameras. Most city drivers will take a dollar less an hour not to be on camera all day.