FedEx Freight | CEO Raj Subramaniam in a letter to staff.

Furlough again. Running through the end of May.
Not a shocker.
And PT ROLLS ON! You know I don't think UNION is the answer.

I think every major hub needs to have a call out day or days! Ok you wanna run PT. OK! Well you better have a 100 in your black book! Look how bad 1 snow day screws them! Time to put up or shut up gentlemen, ladies, or whatever alphabet you wanna call yourself!

And PT ROLLS ON! You know I don't think UNION is the answer.

I think every major hub needs to have a call out day or days! Ok you wanna run PT. OK! Well you better have a 100 in your black book! Look how bad 1 snow day screws them! Time to put up or shut up gentlemen, ladies, or whatever alphabet you wanna call yourself!
you are asking people in this company to stick together? GOOD LUCK with that

you are asking people in this company to stick together? GOOD LUCK with that
Agreed! The company has shown all the butt kissers and kool-aid drinkers that stock is more important than the people that get the job done. So now it's time to show them what happens if we don't show up!

Last edited:
Agreed! The company has shown all the butt kissers and kool-aid drinkers that stock is more important than the people that get the job done. So now it's time to show them what happens if we don't show up!
You've made several good points in some of your post, but I'm wondering what happens after A couple of days and we all return to work? Overtime and a few extra runs for a week?
I get your frustration and can wholeheartedly understand it.
You also have to understand who actually owns this company... the stockholders.
They didn't invest to break even.
We're never going to be important... We're going to be necessary to the point of turning a profit. When that stops so will their investment.

You've made several good points in some of your post, but I'm wondering what happens after A couple of days and we all return to work? Overtime and a few extra runs for a week?
We're never going to be important... We're going to be necessary to the point of turning a profit. When that stops so will their investment.

I’m going to change the world by… Not eating their hotdogs. The entire Nasdaq 500 might collapse. Imagine if we stick to our ideals instead of putting the man’s meat in our mouths??? No Union necessary.

Agreed, but at some point FedEx either needs to commit to the employees they hired, or they will never get quality drivers again.

From what I see the quality of driver is way down now.

Fedex prices freight to make money, but when they throw on purchase they make even more. So profit over people.... There has to be a middle ground. They set the bids. Run your bids then run all the purchase you want. Right now they are canceling bids for PT.

Agreed, but at some point FedEx either needs to commit to the employees they hired, or they will never get quality drivers again.

From what I see the quality of driver is way down now.

Fedex prices freight to make money, but when they throw on purchase they make even more. So profit over people.... There has to be a middle ground. They set the bids. Run your bids then run all the purchase you want. Right now they are canceling bids for PT.
I can see you point.
Almost every single LTL uses some form of PT.
I'm not at all trying to defend FXF, but the simple truth is they are going to make every dime they can...even if it means tripping over a dollar to do it.
I do exactly the same thing...make as much as I can.
Linehaul is the single highest cost they have, or at least I've always been told.
That being said they're always going to use PT any time they can.
If your looking for middle ground then you have to be able to negotiate.
You and I both know there's only one way to do that.

I can see you point.
Almost every single LTL uses some form of PT.
I'm not at all trying to defend FXF, but the simple truth is they are going to make every dime they can...even if it means tripping over a dollar to do it.
I do exactly the same thing...make as much as I can.
Linehaul is the single highest cost they have, or at least I've always been told.
That being said they're always going to use PT any time they can.
If your looking for middle ground then you have to be able to negotiate.
You and I both know there's only one way to do that.
Linehaul is their biggest expense, because that's what we do! Lol I hate when they say that in meetings.

I remember a time... a very long time ago when a driver was looked at with respect and was the backbone of the company. Now we are looked at as outsiders... talked about without any respect behind closed doors. Gone are the days of being valued and it is apparent by what is done. My job your job it is not respected and never will be we are looked at like second class citizens the bottom of the barrel. Funny how without us "2nd class fedex citizens" there wouldn't be those big nice bonuses and stock options that is never talked about. It is a puppet world here and until the little puppets stand up we are just dangling from strings.

Don't forget the Hotdogs.

Much of the doom & gloom from Corporate relates to EXPRESS & Ground. Freight is still financially sound, but as is TYPICAL, Freight brass feel the need to share the pain - show they are shouldering the burden - cutting equally on par with the other Opp-Cos. Lot of limits in place on spending.

It's interesting to see another LTL company's take on the economic conditions. THIS LTL company is the envy of every single member of FedEx (Freight) upper Management.

Old Dominion Q4 profits jump 16%, leaders optimistic about spring upturn​

Link to story below:

The leaders of Old Dominion Freight Line say

"The leaders of Old Dominion Freight Line say they expect freight volumes to pick up in the coming months and have in place the resources to capitalize–including a number of newly trained drivers not yet behind the wheel full-time."

North Carolina-based Old Dominion posted a fourth-quarter profit of $324 million, an increase of 16% from late 2021, on revenues of nearly $1.5 billion, which was up 6% year over year. The company’s operating ratio for the period was 71.2% and it finished the year with a 70.6% operating ratio, an improvement of nearly three points from 2021. Full-year sales and profits both hit records.

“We aren't seeing anything like we saw back in '08 or '09,” he said. “We're not seeing anything out of the ordinary for the economic circumstances, no major price cutting or anything like that. So I feel pretty confident that the end is probably near what we're going through.”

"...Because of that, Gantt and Freeman and their team are staying the course..."

"...Shares of Old Dominion (Ticker: ODFL) popped nearly 10% on the report and accompanying news of a 33% hike of the company’s dividend."

The leaders of Old Dominion Freight Line say

"The leaders of Old Dominion Freight Line say they expect freight volumes to pick up in the coming months and have in place the resources to capitalize–including a number of newly trained drivers not yet behind the wheel full-time."

A lot of mixed messages coming from ODFL. They're expecting to be slammed, but they're terminating drivers. That may have worked some years ago, but the world is a much smaller place today. Anybody doing due diligence before applying for a job will see how they treated employees during harder times.

A lot of mixed messages coming from ODFL. They're expecting to be slammed, but they're terminating drivers. That may have worked some years ago, but the world is a much smaller place today. Anybody doing due diligence before applying for a job will see how they treated employees during harder times.
Great post!

Fact of the matter when it comes to fast e commerce or commerce in general Amazon is truly amazing. Why go to the store when you can have whatever on your doorstep the next day. Looking like fedex giving Amazon the double barreled family friendly middle finger salute was probably a huge mistake that has cost them and will continue to cost them as more and more people order from them.

Fact of the matter when it comes to fast e commerce or commerce in general Amazon is truly amazing. Why go to the store when you can have whatever on your doorstep the next day. Looking like fedex giving Amazon the double barreled family friendly middle finger salute was probably a huge mistake that has cost them and will continue to cost them as more and more people order from them.

I disagree. FedEx telling Amazon to bug off made plenty of sense when they did it and it still does. Amazon's intention was to have FedEx deliver the stuff they couldn't while they built their shipping network. At that moment, FedEx saw them as threat (rightfully so) and decided not to help them grow. Instead, FedEx linked up with Walmart and ships their packages in 2 days.

There was no upside to FedEx staying in the Amazon business.

I can remember when Amazon first approached FedEx here in the midewest.
The word our OM told us was FedEx asked them what they needed and their response was 2 to 22 vans a day.
FedEx said they weren't going to commit to hiring several extra drivers with no guarantee of an actual number.