XPO | Con-Tent

I think the only thing that separates you and me is I am happy in my career with Conway, and you obviously are not. You down the hand that feeds you, and you say that 'the arrogance of this company is a downfall also' so that tells me that you sir have more inner turmoil about this company as a whole then just W&I. Which is fine, but you and I both know that no matter what you and I say it's not going to change who we feel. I will say however, if you do see anyone cheating PLEASE report it when you come across a dispute. W&I does not tolerate integrity issues. W&I, some people hate it some don't. The ones that do hate W&I the most are SCM's and AE's. Funny thing is their daily average figures are up because of W&I. "im not giving figures here just facts" as you say. But what REALLY intrigues me is if there is so much hatred for W&I because certain people feel that all are cheaters and liars, why aren't they presenting this to their supervisors because believe me they will handle it. Oh thats right, we must be going off of assumption. Bottom line here is the company is going to try to make money. It's business, nothing will change that. I agree with you though that not all are legit. So again, if you see anything out of the norm, SAY SOMETHING. I will not get into this much, but from what I have seen in my days W&I as a whole is pretty solid and holds the integrity of the program. Again, just facts not figures. But to you I know that wont matter because you will still have some kind of negative response to give me. Just remember, you have the option to go work for a company who does no wrong. If you find which one it is, let me know. :1036316054:

I am content (no pun intended) with what I am doing at con-way. I dont always agree with everything they do. I am personally not happy or unhappy with my job. Ultimately I made the choice to do what I do for my living. I did not realize my happiness was on trial here. Our industry is on shaky ground with the economy and other factors so I have decided that I am here for the long haul. I dont see any "improvement" going elsewhere. I also brought up figures and facts to back up what I am saying here about the company in general and why and how we are struggling... so your only response was my happiness or so called how I feel .. I never tried being analytical toward you Evo .. this was a discussion about the con tent department ... a thread you brought back to life ... you got a response .. probably not to your liking ... thats fine. In close the W/I dept has done some good things. They caught certain cheating shippers and we are getting corrected revenue from lying shippers. Not all the con tent inspectors take 2 hour lunches ... they have a lot of data entry to back up their findings so when a shipper challenges the new charges Con-way has a leg to stand on. They are also required to do 30 inspections in there shift. That does take time. You may see them only a little bit but you have to realize the time it takes them to inspect, take pictures, data entry ... takes more time at the computer than it does on the dock. So Evo .. I am aware of what goes on in the real world .. as I said most content inspectors work .. their supervisors pretty much let them do what they want .. as long as they achieve certain goals.

One final thought ... Dont ever call my happiness out or my personal feelings... I did not try that with you ... I thought this was an open ended discussion .. and I look forward to your response.

Your right, I probably said that in a way I shouldn't have. Sorry for doubting the way you feel about your personal achievements with Conway. I am sure you have done a great job and are a loyal employee. You are right I did start this thread to see how people think about W&I and seems I get more negative then positive. Which is fine, I just don't like being put in one category. Not saying you did that, but you get my point. Thank you for understanding what they do on and off the dock. That tells me you work closely with W&I on a daily basis. or I assume... I understand your frustration with the department as there are some within that feel it too, the pressure is on and it's not getting any easier, but I want to let it be known to everyone, that we do work, we do our best and we also are observant as well. Most of us were FOS's at one point so we know whats going on. We know when we walk by a trailer and even though the DSR isn't looking they are thinking, oh great are they going to mess with my trailer? or damn, I wish I had a gravy job like that. Now you understand what we do, but alot of others don't nor do they are to because they simply "carry a camera". But I promise you, the main person over W&I is very smart, and only wants the best. He has made it very clear and has made an example out of some that integrity is #1. He makes it clear in daily messages as well. Trust me, we want to do whats right. I dont want to **** the customer for a lack of better words, I just want to be compensated for what we are hauling. No more, no less

Your right, I probably said that in a way I shouldn't have. Sorry for doubting the way you feel about your personal achievements with Conway. I am sure you have done a great job and are a loyal employee. You are right I did start this thread to see how people think about W&I and seems I get more negative then positive. Which is fine, I just don't like being put in one category. Not saying you did that, but you get my point. Thank you for understanding what they do on and off the dock. That tells me you work closely with W&I on a daily basis. or I assume... I understand your frustration with the department as there are some within that feel it too, the pressure is on and it's not getting any easier, but I want to let it be known to everyone, that we do work, we do our best and we also are observant as well. Most of us were FOS's at one point so we know whats going on. We know when we walk by a trailer and even though the DSR isn't looking they are thinking, oh great are they going to mess with my trailer? or damn, I wish I had a gravy job like that. Now you understand what we do, but alot of others don't nor do they are to because they simply "carry a camera". But I promise you, the main person over W&I is very smart, and only wants the best. He has made it very clear and has made an example out of some that integrity is #1. He makes it clear in daily messages as well. Trust me, we want to do whats right. I dont want to **** the customer for a lack of better words, I just want to be compensated for what we are hauling. No more, no less

Some are good some arent ... that job could be gravy pending on the freight .. but it is a hunt to find what they are looking for .. the reports they run help also. So generally they know what they are looking for most of the time.

Actually most DSR's i know think you are (not you personally) a joke...as with any job classification within any company, a person is only as good as the supervision allows...if the supervision allows, most will do the typical worker thing and do nothing until told otherwise...some will do the exact minimum, and some will do a little more...the ones i have seen, like anything else in my life, gives me the information needed to form my own personal opinion...some are good most are not...some are doing it for their own personal gaines, some are doing it because they are tired of what they were doing...we had one guy who was doing it at XNJ as he was told it was the only way to advance his career...he did the most little of work as i could ever see anyone doing...they then made him an FOS and again...he did the most little of work as he could possibly do...now (or last I knew) he was a salesman at XBY...the bottom line is, all are paid to do a job, human nature detracts for the most part as to whether one does their job to the potential expected...sort of like the cat is away, the mice will play...at conway, that term is as wide spread as the rumor base is...

I agree with the premise set forth previously; that the Con-Tent (W&I) department, being like any other--that is, has both good and less-than-good employees.

I'll go further to say that, like any other position, it is what you make of it.

To some, who see it as a 'cushy' job; yes, it does have advantages (like very little on-site supervision), but like all positions at Con-Way (or anywhere else, for that matter) there is pressure applied to the Inspectors to meet requirements of production.

As someone also wrote a few posts ago, there are now minimum daily requirements for inspections conducted, and corrections entered. Just like FOS's have hourly/tonnage goals, and DSR's have 'goals' to get to the FAC on time, and to watch their hours, we all must work within certain parameters.

The Inspector's job is a challenging one, and can be rewarding if you approach it with the proper attitude: An attitude of trying to inspect and correct as much freight as possible during their shift is on the right track. I do know that the inspectors I've spoken to personally have only one goal, and that is to make sure the freight is accurately classified, and have the documentation to support their opinion.
Ive never heard an inspector say, "I'm purposely trying to 'screw' the customer," But I have heard, "The customer is calling this "X" and it's really "Y", and I need to change that in the system."

I also know that, above all else, Integrity is emphasized to every Inspector, at every opportunity. They are not asked to 'find revenue', but to make sure freight is classified correctly. The pricing & revenue are out of their hands, and they often aren't even aware of how much, or if, there will be a revenue change until they've entered the correction.

I believe they walk a very fine line between Integity and Revenue. I'm sure that there are several stories where an Inspector, in being too zealous in their approach, and too liberal in their interpretation of the NMFC book, has stepped over that line.

On top of the pressure of producing not only corrections, but accurate ones that can hold up to scrutiny, they are often seen as a pariah at their own service center, for any one of the following reasons:

It is not unusual for DSR's to hold the misconception that an Inspector's primary job is to ultimately run customers off.

FOS's often see them as meddlesome, and an obstacle to production. (I've even heard stories of FOS's 'hiding' freight, so the Inspector couldn't get to it."

Since Inspectors are a "GO" employee, they often aren't regarded as, 'one of the team' locally, and could even potentially be regarded as a 'spy' for XGO.

The Sales Department often sees W&I as adversaries, and as a threat to their relationship with shippers. It's the sales force that has to field those angry phone calls, wanting to know why their invoice suddenly jumped, when they've been shipping the same thing for years--but yesterday the same freight they've been shipping for $240 now cost $375, after an Inspector changed it. I sympathize with the sales dept. in that regard, I wouldn't want a fraction of those angry calls that they have to deal with, often on a daily basis.

Finally, Inspectors typically work alone, so it's easy to get the impression they don't, 'do anything all day,' because their shift may overlap I/B & O/B & FAC at various points, and while you may only see them for 2 or 3 or 4 hours a day, rest assured that they are required to work 10 hours a day, and many work much more than that.

I'm sure we've all heard stories about an Inspectors who succumbed to the temptation of making ethically questionable corrections, but they don't usually last long; no longer than a DSR would who got caught, 'stealing time', for instance.

Just remember, we're all trying to do our assigned job, get it done quickly, and for the most pay we can get.

here, here !!!!

I agree with the premise set forth previously; that the Con-Tent (W&I) department, being like any other--that is, has both good and less-than-good employees.

I'll go further to say that, like any other position, it is what you make of it.

To some, who see it as a 'cushy' job; yes, it does have advantages (like very little on-site supervision), but like all positions at Con-Way (or anywhere else, for that matter) there is pressure applied to the Inspectors to meet requirements of production.

As someone also wrote a few posts ago, there are now minimum daily requirements for inspections conducted, and corrections entered. Just like FOS's have hourly/tonnage goals, and DSR's have 'goals' to get to the FAC on time, and to watch their hours, we all must work within certain parameters.

The Inspector's job is a challenging one, and can be rewarding if you approach it with the proper attitude: An attitude of trying to inspect and correct as much freight as possible during their shift is on the right track. I do know that the inspectors I've spoken to personally have only one goal, and that is to make sure the freight is accurately classified, and have the documentation to support their opinion.
Ive never heard an inspector say, "I'm purposely trying to 'screw' the customer," But I have heard, "The customer is calling this "X" and it's really "Y", and I need to change that in the system."

I also know that, above all else, Integrity is emphasized to every Inspector, at every opportunity. They are not asked to 'find revenue', but to make sure freight is classified correctly. The pricing & revenue are out of their hands, and they often aren't even aware of how much, or if, there will be a revenue change until they've entered the correction.

I believe they walk a very fine line between Integity and Revenue. I'm sure that there are several stories where an Inspector, in being too zealous in their approach, and too liberal in their interpretation of the NMFC book, has stepped over that line.

On top of the pressure of producing not only corrections, but accurate ones that can hold up to scrutiny, they are often seen as a pariah at their own service center, for any one of the following reasons:

It is not unusual for DSR's to hold the misconception that an Inspector's primary job is to ultimately run customers off.

FOS's often see them as meddlesome, and an obstacle to production. (I've even heard stories of FOS's 'hiding' freight, so the Inspector couldn't get to it."

Since Inspectors are a "GO" employee, they often aren't regarded as, 'one of the team' locally, and could even potentially be regarded as a 'spy' for XGO.

The Sales Department often sees W&I as adversaries, and as a threat to their relationship with shippers. It's the sales force that has to field those angry phone calls, wanting to know why their invoice suddenly jumped, when they've been shipping the same thing for years--but yesterday the same freight they've been shipping for $240 now cost $375, after an Inspector changed it. I sympathize with the sales dept. in that regard, I wouldn't want a fraction of those angry calls that they have to deal with, often on a daily basis.

Finally, Inspectors typically work alone, so it's easy to get the impression they don't, 'do anything all day,' because their shift may overlap I/B & O/B & FAC at various points, and while you may only see them for 2 or 3 or 4 hours a day, rest assured that they are required to work 10 hours a day, and many work much more than that.

I'm sure we've all heard stories about an Inspectors who succumbed to the temptation of making ethically questionable corrections, but they don't usually last long; no longer than a DSR would who got caught, 'stealing time', for instance.

Just remember, we're all trying to do our assigned job, get it done quickly, and for the most pay we can get.

GREAT POST FREE THINKER !!!:1036316054:

Thank you for making it clear for everyone :1036316054: