XPO | Con-Tent

People can say what they like about the Con-Tent program. The fact is it's here to stay and it a huge money maker. When it's making 88 cents off of every dollar recovered, that sure does make me feel good knowing the program is doing something right.

Well Logic, there are a lot of people that feel that the inspectors have no clue about what is going on past their tape measures. Which out of their defense, a lot of drivers don't have a clue about whats going on past their steering wheel so it goes both ways, but im not here to bash. I agree with what you are saying and I hope most of our workforce realizes that no matter how a corporation tries to sell a program to it's people, that if there is no revenue, there are no jobs.

Just my opinion

I know at my terminal, we have lost lots of big accounts because of "confirm". When a company gets a price quote from us, and two weeks later gets a bill for 3 times what they were quoted, it tends to pee them off. Especially when they send them photos of their product, opened up with the bill. Our company isnt customer friendly or driver friendly anymore. Anyone with more than 15 yrs. with the company knows what Im talking about. We dont haul even close to the amount of freight we used to. Confirm makes a profit one way, I guess. But weve lost tons of loyal customers because of it. Customers we wont get back. I dont think the trade off is worth it.

I know at my terminal, we have lost lots of big accounts because of "confirm". When a company gets a price quote from us, and two weeks later gets a bill for 3 times what they were quoted, it tends to pee them off. Especially when they send them photos of their product, opened up with the bill. Our company isnt customer friendly or driver friendly anymore. Anyone with more than 15 yrs. with the company knows what Im talking about. We dont haul even close to the amount of freight we used to. Confirm makes a profit one way, I guess. But weve lost tons of loyal customers because of it. Customers we wont get back. I dont think the trade off is worth it.

I understand what you are saying here. Every other company has been reclassifying freight. We have lost freight because of con-tent but under the contracts the shipper signs and what they are shipping are two different things. If you owned a business and someone was giving you 10 bucks for a 20 dollar job I think you would have a different view. Your opinion is not wrong but what I said is something to think about.

The SCM's use Con-Tent to make more money. And just as someone just said, the shippers leave. And then they blame the sales staff for not keeping accounts.

Our biggest loss of customers is from mishandling freight. The Con-Tent department has one of the lowest turn over rates in the entire system. Now granted I do understand what Wonderring99 is saying about business practices, but we also have to realize that not all customers are right. They call us with a quote and they are saying to us that the shipment is 200lbs at class 70. We give them a quote for what "they" provided. Come to find out the shipment is actually 450lbs and class 100. Federal law states that all shippers information must be accurate information when shipping. The Con-Tent department has the legal right to audit the bills for accuracy so we are not only in compliance, but we are also compensated properly. Is that wrong? I want what is right for our company or for any company, but I will not turn a blind eye to what I know is not right and let it pass because we feel "it's going to upset others." You can call it what you like, but bottom line, it's business.

:smilie_132:

You guys worry about weight only, thinking that if a customer gives you 85,000 lbs a week that they are a big profitable shipper for the company!! Wrong!!!!

Think about how much money you can get on a trailer not how much weight!! Who cares if you only have 1400 lbs on a trailer going across the country!! If it is paying $5,500 or more than a 18,000lbs trailer you are just fine.

Would you like to have 5,000 lbs on steel casting on your trailler in 2 small crates, or have 5,000 lbs of ping pong balls on 14 skids??? You have to be paid for what you are hauling!!

You guys have it all wrong!! If you do not know, this is the only type of bussiness that the customer can tell us how much they are going to pay (basicaly)/ Charge is figured from 3 items. Weight, class and mileage and/or distance.
They tell us where to ship it, how much it weighs and the class, we give them the amount it will cost!

Think about this,....Would Wal-Mart stay in bussiness if they let us do this to them??

Think about it, you go into the store, go to check out with a basket full of stuff, X-box, CD player, Games, DVD's, food, Car battery etc. You go to the cashier and say, Ummmmmm This looks like about $74 , THanks!!

I dont think so!! This would not work, and it does not work for us. Wal-mart scans and checks out all items you ihave, W&I checks all shipments on the bill to make sure they are getting paid for what they are hauling!!!

:smilie_132:

You guys worry about weight only, thinking that if a customer gives you 85,000 lbs a week that they are a big profitable shipper for the company!! Wrong!!!!

Think about how much money you can get on a trailer not how much weight!! Who cares if you only have 1400 lbs on a trailer going across the country!! If it is paying $5,500 or more than a 18,000lbs trailer you are just fine.

Would you like to have 5,000 lbs on steel casting on your trailler in 2 small crates, or have 5,000 lbs of ping pong balls on 14 skids??? You have to be paid for what you are hauling!!

You guys have it all wrong!! If you do not know, this is the only type of bussiness that the customer can tell us how much they are going to pay (basicaly)/ Charge is figured from 3 items. Weight, class and mileage and/or distance.
They tell us where to ship it, how much it weighs and the class, we give them the amount it will cost!

Think about this,....Would Wal-Mart stay in bussiness if they let us do this to them??

Think about it, you go into the store, go to check out with a basket full of stuff, X-box, CD player, Games, DVD's, food, Car battery etc. You go to the cashier and say, Ummmmmm This looks like about $74 , THanks!!

I dont think so!! This would not work, and it does not work for us. Wal-mart scans and checks out all items you ihave, W&I checks all shipments on the bill to make sure they are getting paid for what they are hauling!!!

Depends on their pricing, but yeah I get what you are saying. Most of the time we can make more money on a 400lb 6 skid order of insualton, noi at class 300 then 5 skids of steel bearings weighing 6,000lbs at class 50. :beerchug:

Our biggest loss of customers is from mishandling freight.

I am not surprised you kicked this in here.. there is a margin of cheating in the con tent dept. One got caught. How many more of you are cheating to attain certain numbers ... I had an opportunity to work that dept and I would not touch that with a ten foot pole. Some of you con tent inspectors have less integrity than some fos'. I am not saying you but some of your inspectors are trash. Frank from XAU has a bad habit of digging through the freight and not putting it back together when he is finished inspecting it. Say something to him he goes into this diatribe about how he has a right to do his job .. blah blah blah .. clean up after your self .. we have lost freight because of OVER inspecting ... that so called gray area you guys take advantage of .. I will agree to the damages but if you are going to come in here and act like your dept is golden ... HA .. I doubt it. Open your eyes.
Take my opinions any way you want.

I am not surprised you kicked this in here.. there is a margin of cheating in the con tent dept. One got caught. How many more of you are cheating to attain certain numbers ... I had an opportunity to work that dept and I would not touch that with a ten foot pole. Some of you con tent inspectors have less integrity than some fos'. I am not saying you but some of your inspectors are trash. Frank from XAU has a bad habit of digging through the freight and not putting it back together when he is finished inspecting it. Say something to him he goes into this diatribe about how he has a right to do his job .. blah blah blah .. clean up after your self .. we have lost freight because of OVER inspecting ... that so called gray area you guys take advantage of .. I will agree to the damages but if you are going to come in here and act like your dept is golden ... HA .. I doubt it. Open your eyes.
Take my opinions any way you want.

Sounds like I may have touched a nerve there. Let me make one thing clear. I never said the Con-Tent department is golden anywhere through out this thread. Secondly, I am going off of figures of what the biggest losses are, and that is claims. Which we both agreed on. Now as far as not touching the Con-Tent department with a 10 ft pole that is your opinion and I respect it. However the Con-Tent department has a no tolerance policy for integrity issues, so if you do see an inspector who isn't maintaining this, please get with their supervisor and they will handle it. I am not saying there aren't any bad apples laying around in that department, but the issue has to be brought up for the problem to be fixed, right? The policy is they are supposed to be taping boxes back up and making look as good if not better then when they first came across it. Bottom line. They are also supposed to be placing a brown content sticker on each box they opened to let the customer know that someone from Conway was inspecting their contents. If they are tearing into freight and not taping it back up then it becomes a claims issue. Frank is right about the fact that he has a job to do, but if he isnt following procedure, then you need to say something. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to my message even if it did make you angry.

LMFAO!!!!

:hysterical:

Some of you guys are so DUMB! Do you not want to see the company make money or what?
You complain about them recovering money and running off the shipper right? Lets see, you stated than in 2006 that they recovered 36 million dollars, correct?

Ok, then..Lets do away with Con-tent like you say. Con-way will now report for FY08 a loss of 36 million dollars!! Thats correct, a loss of 36 million dollars.

Hmmmmmmmmm, A loss of 36 million dollars. Can you wonder what the stock market would do for the price of the stock if we reported a loss like this? It would be just like Yellow (YRC). TANKED and bottomed out.

Now, you are wanting to know about your yearly raise right? Well, lets see...We just reported a LOSS of 36 Million Dollars....Hmmmm, I say lets give everyone a 0% raise. That is what would happen!!

Hmm, What else..Lets see..Your insurance for your family would go from $21 a week to $87 week.

O'wait, all the ROAd drivers complaining what would happen? Hmmm...Lets see...No A/c, no fixing the problem, We can no longer afford to keep the shop employees working the hours that they do to fix your stupid tail light that just burned out!!

Hmm, What else???? Too many to list!!!

Now, For those complaining that sales dislikes W&I...I bet you did not know that they first thing that a sales rep does when they come into work is to find out how much REVENUE that the area they are over did!!!

Hmm, One sales rep area is $5700 over the normal daily avg. First thing that they say is :1036316054:!!! Thanks W&I, that is untill the customer compplains about it!!!

O,wait, the customer complains that they always ship class 55 with us and all other freight lines, and why now all the sudden are they getting a class 300??

Hmm, Well lets me say this, You might have been shipping it at class 55 for 5 years, but it was just the fact that you have been caught now!!

Hmm, I speed everyday one the HWY and get away with all the time, I did I recive a ticket for doing 115mPH? Its the same concept!!! It was just a chance that you would get caught!!

Hmm, Now what? We find that the shipper that the Sales rep thought was so profitable for the company since they give our terminal 250 bills a week, is eating us alive!!! We are loosing .75 Cents on every dollar. Hmm a BAD (OR) operating ratio SHIPPER!!!

Hmm, Now what...You are all pissed off since we lost a customer that gave us so much freight a week right? And you can no longer make the run in the city to pick it up, or work the dock for a extra 2.5 hours to handle this freight!!!:butt kiss:

O'well, We just lost a customer that was costing us 75 cent on every dollar we made!!!

Get over it!!!

You guys are so tide up on weight on the trailers it is SICK!!!

You would rather have a trailer weighing 18,000 lbs with 22 bills for a total profit of $3700, than pulling a trialer with 4 bills at 3700 lbs with a total profit of $12,000!!

Why is that?????

Do you not want to see your company make money or what???

So the next time you think that you need to do away with Com-tent or W&I..Just think about these things!!!!

W&I

I know of a barn that has 3 w&i people. I believe they should have to punch kronos just like everyone else. This may cut back on the 2 hour lunch - the 10 smoke breaks...oh that's right - they are "making" us money....

i think its time for murdock to post the 5 signs of a bussness that is loosing or what again

per your request oh super one... here is the article again.

Brandt on Leadership: Five Fingerprints of Failure

I think it's important to separate the argument of the Con-Tent department from the DSR's re-weigh program. For me I understand the need of the programs, but with a focus on profits, integrity often gets tarnished. The perception generated by most drivers is that all they (management) want confirmed are the shipments that will generate more revenue. Why not reward total re-weighs only... generating the most accurate weights possible? The program was rolled out with the theme of needing the most accurate weights for safety reasons. XCW recently received forklifts from XIN with scales attached. These scale units appear to have been mounted by the mechanics of XIN and had no stickers that certify the accuracy of the unit. How many re-weighs have been charged to customers generated from a non-certified scale? If I was a customer and you changed my bills and I had confidence in a) description and classification of my freight and b) the published weight of the freight I am shipping... buddy ya know you would have three choices... correct your mistakes, loose me as a customer, and/or see me in court.

Our current cynical approach to management effects the relationship not only with employees but also customers. If you find an error in a customer's shipment, why not contact them to discuss the discrepancies? It's one thing to demand a specific behavior out of your employees, but to build a black and white only approach to your customers only tarnishes our image. I see a lot of behavior toward our customer's freight as a kinda "ha... caught them trying to screw us here at Con-Way... high fives all around"

Long live Sammy and true integrity

Sounds like I may have touched a nerve there. Let me make one thing clear. I never said the Con-Tent department is golden anywhere through out this thread. Secondly, I am going off of figures of what the biggest losses are, and that is claims. Which we both agreed on. Now as far as not touching the Con-Tent department with a 10 ft pole that is your opinion and I respect it. However the Con-Tent department has a no tolerance policy for integrity issues, so if you do see an inspector who isn't maintaining this, please get with their supervisor and they will handle it. I am not saying there aren't any bad apples laying around in that department, but the issue has to be brought up for the problem to be fixed, right? The policy is they are supposed to be taping boxes back up and making look as good if not better then when they first came across it. Bottom line. They are also supposed to be placing a brown content sticker on each box they opened to let the customer know that someone from Conway was inspecting their contents. If they are tearing into freight and not taping it back up then it becomes a claims issue. Frank is right about the fact that he has a job to do, but if he isnt following procedure, then you need to say something. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to my message even if it did make you angry.

It did not make me angry. Touch a nerve. Ya a little. I realize the profit potential and I agree to the figures. Con-way has given you people a blank check to do what you guys need to do. There are a few other "fires" that need to be taken care of. A once great company with an ignorant cocky leader and some other people within this organization has inflicted this company with greed.

I have seen the figures also that you speak of. I am sure you are doing what you are told to do as a W/I inspector .. I respect you are doing your job. My point, which you missed, is that we have lost freight. Damages and an over zealous inspection department. There has been freight the W/I's "corrected" which were challenged and they were wrong. Damages some customers understand. Bogus charges they do not. There was a time not so long ago the W/I supervisors needed people so bad that were walking around the building asking .. wanna be an inspector? .. Also the arrogance of this company is a downfall also. You can throw all the figures at me you want. Numbers can be adjusted. Ever heard of number crunching .. I was stating facts.. not figures.

I look forward to your response.
:1036316054:

LMFAO!!!!

Some of you guys are so DUMB! Do you not want to see the company make money or what?
You complain about them recovering money and running off the shipper right? Lets see, you stated than in 2006 that they recovered 36 million dollars, correct?

Ok, then..Lets do away with Con-tent like you say. Con-way will now report for FY08 a loss of 36 million dollars!! Thats correct, a loss of 36 million dollars.

Hmmmmmmmmm, A loss of 36 million dollars. Can you wonder what the stock market would do for the price of the stock if we reported a loss like this? It would be just like Yellow (YRC). TANKED and bottomed out.

Now, you are wanting to know about your yearly raise right? Well, lets see...We just reported a LOSS of 36 Million Dollars....Hmmmm, I say lets give everyone a 0% raise. That is what would happen!!

Hmm, What else..Lets see..Your insurance for your family would go from $21 a week to $87 week.

O'wait, all the ROAd drivers complaining what would happen? Hmmm...Lets see...No A/c, no fixing the problem, We can no longer afford to keep the shop employees working the hours that they do to fix your stupid tail light that just burned out!!

Now, For those complaining that sales dislikes W&I...I bet you did not know that they first thing that a sales rep does when they come into work is to find out how much REVENUE that the area they are over did!!!

Hmm, One sales rep area is $5700 over the normal daily avg. First thing that they say is :1036316054:!!! Thanks W&I, that is untill the customer compplains about it!!!

O,wait, the customer complains that they always ship class 55 with us and all other freight lines, and why now all the sudden are they getting a class 300??

Hmm, Well lets me say this, You might have been shipping it at class 55 for 5 years, but it was just the fact that you have been caught now!!

Hmm, I speed everyday one the HWY and get away with all the time, I did I recive a ticket for doing 115mPH? Its the same concept!!! It was just a chance that you would get caught!!

Hmm, Now what? We find that the shipper that the Sales rep thought was so profitable for the company since they give our terminal 250 bills a week, is eating us alive!!! We are loosing .75 Cents on every dollar. Hmm a BAD (OR) operating ratio SHIPPER!!!

Hmm, Now what...You are all pissed off since we lost a customer that gave us so much freight a week right? And you can no longer make the run in the city to pick it up, or work the dock for a extra 2.5 hours to handle this freight!!!:butt kiss:

O'well, We just lost a customer that was costing us 75 cent on every dollar we made!!!

Get over it!!!

You would rather have a trailer weighing 18,000 lbs with 22 bills for a total profit of $3700, than pulling a trialer with 4 bills at 3700 lbs with a total profit of $12,000!!

Why is that?????

So the next time you think that you need to do away with Com-tent or W&I..Just think about these things!!!!

Remember this post in fed ex?

New to FedEx. I was wondering who are these guys at the dock walking around with Tape measure, laptop, and camera? What do they do? They always look so busy. I heard from another associate that they do something with recovering money for the company? Is this correct? Looks like it would be a intersting job. Are there any special qualifications? Or do you guys know any of them? Do they get a % of the money that they recover, one guy told me that the guy at my dock has recovered over 6 million and another one there nearly 4 million? Wow!!!

They must truly help contribute millions each year to the company!

Thanks for the help!!

You asked abouth w/i inspectors in fed ex wondering what they were and all of a sudden you are an expert about it and calling drivers whiners and dumb bringing up basic facts and figures. Some of these drivers are very intellectual and intelligent. I choose this profession because it was honest and I could make a better living than being some mid level useless manager that gets cut at first budget cuts.
If you want to join this debate than keep your sophomoric name calling to yourself.

You asked abouth w/i inspectors in fed ex wondering what they were and all of a sudden you are an expert about it and calling drivers whiners and dumb bringing up basic facts and figures. Some of these drivers are very intellectual and intelligent. I choose this profession because it was honest and I could make a better living than being some mid level useless manager that gets cut at first budget cuts.
If you want to join this debate than keep your sophomoric name calling to yourself.

You have a very valid point..Sorry about the name calling..Should have never happened.

I have been with fed-ex now for a few months. I know what they are doing, but I asked, in a simple form, for the same reason that many people in this thread did not know what W&i is. I printed it out plain and simple so I could get peoples attention on the subject that might not be familiar with the program. I was wanting to know how they worked, no one here at fedex, could tell me much information about the program. So i was trying to see if they recieved a % of what they recovered for a bonus, like some other carriers do!! I have never been in the W&I program for any carrier, but i know what they do and the value of the department for any company! Glad to see that you are in the program and you like it very much!!

You guys do so much, keep up the workl

tick tick tick

thats to funny wondering!!! great job! i think 60 min is hiring.....:hysterical:

I know of a barn that has 3 w&i people. I believe they should have to punch kronos just like everyone else. This may cut back on the 2 hour lunch - the 10 smoke breaks...oh that's right - they are "making" us money....

Funny, I see DSR's who do punch Krono's out in front smoking all the time too....

It did not make me angry. Touch a nerve. Ya a little. I realize the profit potential and I agree to the figures. Con-way has given you people a blank check to do what you guys need to do. There are a few other "fires" that need to be taken care of. A once great company with an ignorant cocky leader and some other people within this organization has inflicted this company with greed.

I have seen the figures also that you speak of. I am sure you are doing what you are told to do as a W/I inspector .. I respect you are doing your job. My point, which you missed, is that we have lost freight. Damages and an over zealous inspection department. There has been freight the W/I's "corrected" which were challenged and they were wrong. Damages some customers understand. Bogus charges they do not. There was a time not so long ago the W/I supervisors needed people so bad that were walking around the building asking .. wanna be an inspector? .. Also the arrogance of this company is a downfall also. You can throw all the figures at me you want. Numbers can be adjusted. Ever heard of number crunching .. I was stating facts.. not figures.

I look forward to your response.
:1036316054:

I think the only thing that separates you and me is I am happy in my career with Conway, and you obviously are not. You down the hand that feeds you, and you say that 'the arrogance of this company is a downfall also' so that tells me that you sir have more inner turmoil about this company as a whole then just W&I. Which is fine, but you and I both know that no matter what you and I say it's not going to change who we feel. I will say however, if you do see anyone cheating PLEASE report it when you come across a dispute. W&I does not tolerate integrity issues. W&I, some people hate it some don't. The ones that do hate W&I the most are SCM's and AE's. Funny thing is their daily average figures are up because of W&I. "im not giving figures here just facts" as you say. But what REALLY intrigues me is if there is so much hatred for W&I because certain people feel that all are cheaters and liars, why aren't they presenting this to their supervisors because believe me they will handle it. Oh thats right, we must be going off of assumption. Bottom line here is the company is going to try to make money. It's business, nothing will change that. I agree with you though that not all are legit. So again, if you see anything out of the norm, SAY SOMETHING. I will not get into this much, but from what I have seen in my days W&I as a whole is pretty solid and holds the integrity of the program. Again, just facts not figures. But to you I know that wont matter because you will still have some kind of negative response to give me. Just remember, you have the option to go work for a company who does no wrong. If you find which one it is, let me know. :1036316054:

LMFAO!!!!

Get over it!!!

Why is that?????

Couldn't have said it better myself :1036316054: