XPO | Con-way rocks!

what a bunch of conway crap

Well.....Yes,,,,,,,BUT, it is very, very good, con-way crap...

Wait....I don't think you can say "crap" on the boards....

I believe that is a forbidden word.....

Yes, I am sure of it: Crap : cannot be used, and is an off-limits word......

Besides, I am sure that crap doesn't come in bunches, anyway, I am pretty sure that it comes in "clumps" or "mounds"........It would be kind of messy trying to get those little twist ties around the crap to make bunches out of it anyway......I wouldn't want that job......

:holysheep:

Make my skin crawl.? are you kidding me? , I've got all day, lets hear them. No one, and I mean no one has been even close to as aggressive as Conway with their pricing in the last 6 months. You guys better get ready for your wage cut its coming soon. I just read the main post, I wish I would have read it before I was daytrading YRCW! LOL!! What in the heck does a daytrader give a crap about what LTL company is going to be the strongest in a year! LOL!! Look at the 5 min. charts, 10 minute charts, sell at the top of the range , buy at the low end of the range and keep your stops tight. I wish I would have shorted 5000 shares of Conway @52 could have retired today!

rookie

If I want some chuckles I always come over to the Conway board! I was at a customers dock yesterday..you guys don't even have to give them this ridiculous bit of propaganda that you wrote up, heck just give them your monster discount. The shipping manager told me that a conway salesman came in and offered him an 85% discount..he was floored(and delighted). I told him that he should have tried for another 11% then you guys would be paying to haul their freight! I wil stay at FED-ex!! LOL
Billy, you must be a new driver or you never pay attention to anything. Anyone that works LTL and knows anything at all about LTL discounts knows that an 85% discount is basically a lie. Its the same thing that the local fly by night jewelry store uses in their ads. "this gold ring was $3,200 , but today its 90% off ! "
All LTL companies use " % " numbers rather than " $ " because it is easier to make something sound better than it is. Granted, i hate that Con-way follows suit in this practice, but none the less, that's the way it is.
Con-way has aggressively targeted key accounts, but don't kid yourself for a moment, we still basically charge more than any of our competitors overall .

thank who ?

Remember to thank a CF for your "rocking" company!:1036316054:
ummm , i don't understand why we would need to thank them? When we parted ways, we paid off $20 million of CF's debt and brought them back out of the red. So we should thank CF for using that $20 million to still end up going out of business?
Does that mean we will have to thank GM to after GW's bailout fails?
CF had incredibly low freight rates. In fact, Con-way picked up almost no business when they went under, because we would not haul stuff for free. We love our customers, but not enough to pay them for hauling their freight.

stock & claims

What does the stock prices have to do with claim rates. Holland is and and always will be the best
Wow, you would actually ask that question? On a certain level, you are correct. Now is a great example. Con-way's financial stats are great, but you would never know it by looking at how much our stocks have fell in the last 18 months. Don't doubt for a second that claims don't have an influence on stock prices. Its effect might not be instantaneous, but sooner or later it will effect the price of the stock.
As analyst search deeper and deeper in this bad economy to find worthy investments, all factors of LTL, especially claims will come into play. As i stated in my post to start this thread, if America is functioning at all , the will be a great demand for LTL freight. It will be survival of the fittest. I really should not try to convince everyone of this though, because,if you listened and believed me, that would take away my advantage of working and investing in one of the best companies in America right now. :butt kiss:

Please, New to LTL? I 've got 17 years in. You don't need to explain to me how discounts work, it isnt rocket science. I understand how everyone has different base rates, c'mon FTE..go to a customer where the traffic manager will let you compare the rates Holland ,Yellow, Fed-ex, Fed-Ex national..you know them...I checked it out where Conway had the 85% discount.. it was the cheapest in most lanes by a large margin, you guys are more expensive overall !!??? Yea ok!!LOL!! Poor YRC I dont think they are going to be able to get into the haul freight for nothing routine! Give me some more freight discounting 101 I am stuck in a blizzard and need some cheap entertainment!

Freight rates 101

Please, New to LTL? I 've got 17 years in. You don't need to explain to me how discounts work, it isnt rocket science. I understand how everyone has different base rates, c'mon FTE..go to a customer where the traffic manager will let you compare the rates Holland ,Yellow, Fed-ex, Fed-Ex national..you know them...I checked it out where Conway had the 85% discount.. it was the cheapest in most lanes by a large margin, you guys are more expensive overall !!??? Yea ok!!LOL!! Poor YRC I dont think they are going to be able to get into the haul freight for nothing routine! Give me some more freight discounting 101 I am stuck in a blizzard and need some cheap entertainment!
OK, its real simple. if our starting rate is $600 and we discount it 85%, that's $90 bucks for the bill.your starting rate is $300 and you only give a 70% discount, that's $90 for your bill as well. which looks better? they are both $90 freight bills? the one that says 85% looks better. so now the traffic manager can run tell his boss, "look ... i got 15% better discount than holland was giving ! "
not to mention the fact that our next day, and 2 day lanes are bigger, and not to mention we service "ALL REGIONS OF THE U.S. " .
You may find us cheaper at certain customers. We are targeting certain customers, but that is still not EVERY customer. We target where we need to. Certain areas may be dry on freight and we need it to fill the truck up and cover cost, but still, in general,we are more expensive. No comapany will win in this business by starting a freight rate war, there are no winners win that happens. How do you think Con-way got where it is ?
Class dismissed , except for you billy, im gonna need you to stay after class and dust my erasers :clap:

Poor YRC's customer base is 60% national account driven...and we all know what it takes to haul that business...Why do you think Con-way walked away from the Home Depot 6 years ago..?? Hauling freight for free is not our style...But when I look at the condition of YRC and others, it speaks for itself...You think everyone is waiting for YRC to go under so they can fight over that worthless National account business..?? Time for you to stop entertaining yourself and start doing some research...Nice try, but Con-way as a bottom feeder in pricing???...even the most ignorant know that is the farthest thing from the truth..Pick another topic, this one is way over your head..

FTE thanks for the chuckle, do you seriously think every traffic manager is an idiot,? LOL, he thinks to himself, I know the other carrier is cheaper but I am going to go show my boss that Conway has got a bigger discount , and he will be so impressed maybe he will give me a raise!!LOL!! you can't make it up! EVERY carrier targets certain customers! Are you serious..we are more expensive?? How do I think Conway got where it is? Uh, that is a tough one to answer....let me see..what was the name of that huge LTL giant that pulled the plug on Labor day 2003? I can't remember. Please FTE don't end the educational seminar yet, this is fun. Can the next class be about daytrading ,and examination of freight claims and its subsequent effect on stock price ,lol!

FTE thanks for the chuckle, do you seriously think every traffic manager is an idiot,? LOL, he thinks to himself, I know the other carrier is cheaper but I am going to go show my boss that Conway has got a bigger discount , and he will be so impressed maybe he will give me a raise!!LOL!! you can't make it up! EVERY carrier targets certain customers! Are you serious..we are more expensive?? How do I think Conway got where it is? Uh, that is a tough one to answer....let me see..what was the name of that huge LTL giant that pulled the plug on Labor day 2003? I can't remember. Please FTE don't end the educational seminar yet, this is fun. Can the next class be about daytrading ,and examination of freight claims and its subsequent effect on stock price ,lol!
lets see , the one that bit the dust in 2003 ... hummmm
you mean the one that was hauling freight at 1989 prices in 2003 ? the one that we paid $20 million to pay off their debt so we could separate from them ? the one that still went under, even though we paid off their red ink debt and made them debt free as part of our separation agreement ? the one that we got basically no freight from when they went under because we could not afford to pay customers for the privilege of hauling their freight?
I'm lost what company was that ?

lets see , the one that bit the dust in 2003 ... hummmm
you mean the one that was hauling freight at 1989 prices in 2003 ? the one that we paid $20 million to pay off their debt so we could separate from them ? the one that still went under, even though we paid off their red ink debt and made them debt free as part of our separation agreement ? the one that we got basically no freight from when they went under because we could not afford to pay customers for the privilege of hauling their freight?
I'm lost what company was that ?

Whoops, forgot one...You mean the company that was solidly profitable for the first 3 years after the spinoff from CNW??
It's ok, Bubba, most forget that one...always fun to remind them...

Thanks for the history lesson guys, how is the lawsuit going with Central States, and the withdrawal penalty of $319 million that Conway might be liable for, remember the one that you guys said if realized it may have "an adverse effect on financial performance? LOL! Its been fun guys, talk to you later, I dont want to get my post count into the double digits.

really?

Whoops, forgot one...You mean the company that was solidly profitable for the first 3 years after the spinoff from CNW??
It's ok, Bubba, most forget that one...always fun to remind them...
you mean that when they spun off from us, they were profitable for the first 3 years? i did not know that. learn something new everyday! i would have guessed that since we were a ( whats the word for dried blood on a wound ? ) %$^& company, we would have run them in the ground the first year, seeing how we must have paid the drivers half of what they paid, and hauled the freight at half price. boxboss , you got me all confused now :hysterical:

you mean that when they spun off from us, they were profitable for the first 3 years? i did not know that. learn something new everyday! i would have guessed that since we were a ( whats the word for dried blood on a wound ? ) %$^& company, we would have run them in the ground the first year, seeing how we must have paid the drivers half of what they paid, and hauled the freight at half price. boxboss , you got me all confused now :hysterical:

Actually, I only remembered it about 2 years ago...the only reason I remembered it was because it happened right after that godawful year of 1995 when everyone struggled to make a decent profit, most didn't, and then the spinoff occurred and many of us thought CF was done...they went out strong and were strong the first three years, and it floored alot of us...because they were dealing in the same stuff and same type accounts YRC is now...Oops, was I drawing parallels there..?? Sorry..

Maybe I am missing something here......Let's say YRc goes under, i don't think that is going to happen, but, let's just say, for a moment that they do........Now, one reason for that would be, that they were hauling freight for less than it cost them to haul, right????? So, why would our company, or any company for that matter, want to jump in and haul that freight, and loose money on doing so???? Unless, that company was so close to failing itself, that it really didn't matter for them to pick it up......

So.......unless rates on that freight increase to the point that it becomes profitable to haul it....OR.....a company can reduce overhead to the point that they can pursue the business................

Fascinating discussion.....who has the answer?????

the answer is simple

Maybe I am missing something here......Let's say YRc goes under, i don't think that is going to happen, but, let's just say, for a moment that they do........Now, one reason for that would be, that they were hauling freight for less than it cost them to haul, right????? So, why would our company, or any company for that matter, want to jump in and haul that freight, and loose money on doing so???? Unless, that company was so close to failing itself, that it really didn't matter for them to pick it up......

So.......unless rates on that freight increase to the point that it becomes profitable to haul it....OR.....a company can reduce overhead to the point that they can pursue the business................

Fascinating discussion.....who has the answer?????

the answer is simple, cut your rates, cut you own throat. its the same reason why deregulation has killed the trucking industry. when the only thing you got left to attract business is to cut your rates, your doomed. period.

You can't move it for more than it costs you to do so......at least, not for very long anyway........That is what killed CF, and all the others........I hated it when we walked away from HD.....and Levi's, and Paccar and ..............you fill in the blank...........but, you can't haul it for more than it costs to do so..........just like you can't sell cars for less than it costs you to make em..........you can't fly an airliner for more money than you sell the seats for.......

You can only lower the prices so far, then, you have to cut costs.........there are only two sides to the financial equation,,,,money in = money out......

I can add some personal experience. Consistently when I ask customers why we no longer pick up there, I hear "Because you guys are too expensive".

Although lately there have been ''increase in service failures" and "absent sales force" issues.

Although I am told that the race truck is really generating a competitive edge for us.

dead on

You can't move it for more than it costs you to do so......at least, not for very long anyway........That is what killed CF, and all the others........I hated it when we walked away from HD.....and Levi's, and Paccar and ..............you fill in the blank...........but, you can't haul it for more than it costs to do so..........just like you can't sell cars for less than it costs you to make em..........you can't fly an airliner for more money than you sell the seats for.......

You can only lower the prices so far, then, you have to cut costs.........there are only two sides to the financial equation,,,,money in = money out......

your dead on right. to stay competitive, we can't lower freight rates, we need to focus on service and efficiency .
Con-way has the best service and most efficient LTL business model in the market. We still can do soooo much better though. I really wish we could get management and the dsr's to really get a grip on things like damage. Everyday i have 1 to 5 deliveries that have billing, damage, and/or shortage issues. Its not rocket science people. its 1 s/w skid , single shipment , fragile. its not like its our first day on the job. we have to do better, we must do better on OS&D issues.
ohhhh you better load lock ,you better tie down
you better not pull his trailer door down, santa claus is runnin to Motown
he knows if you've been breaking , he knows who loads his freight, he knows if you use rope and wood, so use wood for goodness sake ,HEY
you better load lock, you better tie down, you better abloy that trailer door down. SANTA CLAUS IS RUNNIN TO MOTOWN !!!!!!:bsanta: