XPO | Con-way rocks!

Maybe I am missing something here......Let's say YRc goes under, i don't think that is going to happen, but, let's just say, for a moment that they do........Now, one reason for that would be, that they were hauling freight for less than it cost them to haul, right????? So, why would our company, or any company for that matter, want to jump in and haul that freight, and loose money on doing so???? Unless, that company was so close to failing itself, that it really didn't matter for them to pick it up......

So.......unless rates on that freight increase to the point that it becomes profitable to haul it....OR.....a company can reduce overhead to the point that they can pursue the business................

Fascinating discussion.....who has the answer?????

:holysheep:

Actually, you did, partially...we don't have any interest in that business in it's current pricing setup...Now, who does might be a key...It's going to be a matter of who may be most desperate at that time...The problems that come with those large accounts is not only do many of them require special circumstances, special multi-driver handling, they also require special administrative assistance from the office, their own personally assigned CSR, etc., and that makes them even less attractive when you couple them with outrageous pricing...there is the other side who will say anything is better than empty trailers, but that isn't always the case..

The problems that come with those large accounts is not only do many of them require special circumstances, special multi-driver handling, they also require special administrative assistance from the office, their own personally assigned CSR, etc., and that makes them even less attractive when you couple them with outrageous pricing...there is the other side who will say anything is better than empty trailers, but that isn't always the case..

Exactly....can you say "John Deere" ???

Don't know if you get one of those at your place, but take it from someone who does a 53 almost every night, all John Deere, I hope that account pays well.

But, on the other hand, when we try to get what we deserve from an account, sometimes it doesn't go well (W.W. Grainger)...

Exactly....can you say "John Deere" ???

Don't know if you get one of those at your place, but take it from someone who does a 53 almost every night, all John Deere, I hope that account pays well.

But, on the other hand, when we try to get what we deserve from an account, sometimes it doesn't go well (W.W. Grainger)...

I currently have 18 JD dealers, and not a one of them is located anywhere near a convenient spot on a route..

jd

I currently have 18 JD dealers, and not a one of them is located anywhere near a convenient spot on a route..
would it really be that much trouble for JD to seperate their freight into s/w skids for bigger shipments? i really would like to see the rates go up on junk freight. i was told years ago that we were pretty good about jacking up rates sky high on junk freight, especially oversized trailer killin freight. it seems though, more and more we give discounts to companies with mainly ugly freight.
anyone remember losing offis deepoe ? i actually heard a cheer across the dock when that was announced that we lost that. i heard through the grapevine that a new over zealous sales rep waived the inside delivery fee for that company. never confirmed that rumor though.

troubled freight

would it really be that much trouble for JD to seperate their freight into s/w skids for bigger shipments? i really would like to see the rates go up on junk freight. i was told years ago that we were pretty good about jacking up rates sky high on junk freight, especially oversized trailer killin freight. it seems though, more and more we give discounts to companies with mainly ugly freight.
anyone remember losing offis deepoe ? i actually heard a cheer across the dock when that was announced that we lost that. i heard through the grapevine that a new over zealous sales rep waived the inside delivery fee for that company. never confirmed that rumor though.
U-LINE is a nightmare!!

If we are DSR's as I belive a lot of us are , why is there next to NO emphasis on the sales part? (And please don't bring up the 'one more shipment' program.) Why can't a program be set up to incentivize and reward DSR's for new and/or additional business and at least make sure they have a basic knowledge of the rates and service lanes. :clap:

I can add some personal experience. Consistently when I ask customers why we no longer pick up there, I hear "Because you guys are too expensive".

Although lately there have been ''increase in service failures" and "absent sales force" issues.

Although I am told that the race truck is really generating a competitive edge for us.

The absent sales force is a big issue with some of the places I have been going for the past 6 monthes or so. All have said the race truck has more than made up for it though. That must be where the 140% return is coming from.

i also have issues with our salesmen and what they do or not do. Some places i go Conway gets one or two skids a day while other carriers get ten to twenty. I tell our salesman for that area about it, Ill look into it he says, never does. Trying to get pens or note pads to give to our customers....forget it..thoes pens are made of gold? All we get to hand out are those stupid gay flaming racing hats! And that 140% return from the race truck, total B.S.

drink

ummm , i don't understand why we would need to thank them? When we parted ways, we paid off $20 million of CF's debt and brought them back out of the red. So we should thank CF for using that $20 million to still end up going out of business?
Does that mean we will have to thank GM to after GW's bailout fails?
CF had incredibly low freight rates. In fact, Con-way picked up almost no business when they went under, because we would not haul stuff for free. We love our customers, but not enough to pay them for hauling their freight.
stop drinking the kool aid youre lipps are turnning blue:nutkick:

more

lets see , the one that bit the dust in 2003 ... hummmm
you mean the one that was hauling freight at 1989 prices in 2003 ? the one that we paid $20 million to pay off their debt so we could separate from them ? the one that still went under, even though we paid off their red ink debt and made them debt free as part of our separation agreement ? the one that we got basically no freight from when they went under because we could not afford to pay customers for the privilege of hauling their freight?
I'm lost what company was that ?
have some more kool aid please

remember

Whoops, forgot one...You mean the company that was solidly profitable for the first 3 years after the spinoff from CNW??
It's ok, Bubba, most forget that one...always fun to remind them...

i dont remember it that way i remember two pres and the last one did not take a salary he got a pc of liquidation he told drivers pc of profit after turn around though he must have miss spoke thats what i remember

The numbers are a matter of public record...CF operated in the low 90s the first 3 years following the separation...and that wasn't because the president didn't take a salary...they didn't show their first loss until 99, and it was all downhill from there...

record

The numbers are a matter of public record...CF operated in the low 90s the first 3 years following the separation...and that wasn't because the president didn't take a salary...they didn't show their first loss until 99, and it was all downhill from there...
the public record is one slice in good by pie for cf others are key cf mgmt to cw hookup of regions loans from cf to us over the years cherry picking cf frght fuel tires trls trlparts miscexpen came from cf i started in 84 things were loose back in the early yrs that is what i saw happen merrychristmas bb

the public record is one slice in good by pie for cf others are key cf mgmt to cw hookup of regions loans from cf to us over the years cherry picking cf frght fuel tires trls trlparts miscexpen came from cf i started in 84 things were loose back in the early yrs that is what i saw happen merrychristmas bb
:hide: Why do you use the "space" button on your keybpard? Also, what is the meaning of the word? " miscexpen "? , I couldn't figure that one out. :smilie_132: