XPO | Con-Way Truck involved in crash

My heart, my thoughts and my prayers go out to all involved in such a horrific/tragic accident. My mind tends to wonder after seeing and hearing such dreadful news. I think to myself... "This could have been me...This could have been my family...and in a way/sense...:17: it was.". Life is too short, and you never know when it's your turn to go. Please say a prayer or two for all those involved, family members, driver, drivers family and all police, medic and fire responders. Its truely a sad day. Be safe while out on the road, there are those that are depending upon you to make it home. God bless.

You are exactly right...I have refrained from comment here because I couldn't find the words...This is extremely painful, period...and it does indeed give you cause for pause...There are just no words to describe the sorrow felt over this..

You are exactly right...I have refrained from comment here because I couldn't find the words...This is extremely painful, period...and it does indeed give you cause for pause...There are just no words to describe the sorrow felt over this..

Same here, I have no idea what to say, or that anything I might add, could possibly express the emotions evoked. It makes you fully realize the tiny rope we all balance on, each and evey time we venture forth on even the most mundane run. After years and years of doing that which we do on a daily basis, and NOT having anything similar happen, you become complacent to the possabilites of that, and worse, each and every time we pull out of the yard......I remember talking with Bill F. (discussed in another thread) once, asking how I could be absolutely sure I was operating in a SAFE manner every night, he told me to stay home, and find another line of work.

My thoughts and prayers are with the driver, his family and all those touched by this tragic event. I hope they can find some level of Peace, in the midst of an otherwise horrific experience.

Same here, I have no idea what to say, or that anything I might add, could possibly express the emotions evoked. It makes you fully realize the tiny rope we all balance on, each and evey time we venture forth on even the most mundane run. After years and years of doing that which we do on a daily basis, and NOT having anything similar happen, you become complacent to the possabilites of that, and worse, each and every time we pull out of the yard......I remember talking with Bill F. (discussed in another thread) once, asking how I could be absolutely sure I was operating in a SAFE manner every night, he told me to stay home, and find another line of work.

My thoughts and prayers are with the driver, his family and all those touched by this tragic event. I hope they can find some level of Peace, in the midst of an otherwise horrific experience.
You are both 100% correct in what you say on this. What CAN a person say? After the Military and many years on the road I have come to ONE conclusion. Any of us could be next. I do not live like I should but I was raised in Church. ONE thing I do know and that is there is a God Above. Sometimes we can't understand the reasons certain things happens but we were never suppose to. We are not God. We must find strength in the fact that no matter what happens God is there for us if we ask him for help. We are ALL so small in the whole scheme of things we are like the song says
"DUST IN THE WIND" Even as small as we are , GOD DOES CARE about us!!!
Didn't mean mean to sound like a Preacher (Which I am far from being) but I myself have only been able to keep my sanity thru the years with Gods Help.:shift:

man does this really sink in. Too bad for the family, my prayers go out to them. Was our driver hurt? How is he emotionaly? 65 is an ugly strech of hi-way, way too many crosses

I cann't remember is the article said how bad your was driver got hurt. But I know that he'll have scars with him for the rest of his life . I just hope that he is getting help to try and deal with what happened.
Again as said before, there isn't alot that one can say here .It's a tough thing. I'm hoping that the driver's friends and family are helping the driver deal with this.

Like, BoxBoss and others, I just didn't know what to say at first. This whole thing is so horrific. I'm so sorry for that family in that pickup truck. This is such a terrible tragedy for them, the Conway driver, and the company.

That was EXACTLY my point...the article only mentions physical injury, but I believe we are all in agreement on the rest of it...May God give him the strength to deal with it..Those of you in the area who work with him and know him, be there for him..

I also have been following this thread six Friday....Dont know what to say...But the family thier relatives and the 2 driver s will be in my prayers....May god have mercy on the lost and the living...not yo minimize this in any way buy doc a gary conway driver lost a wife and child on 65 at 231 about 9 months ago....HAVE MERCY ON THEM ALL

My heart and prayers go out to the driver and the victims. Remember drivers get your rest and pay attention, I dont know what was going on in the cab at the time of the crash so im not blaming the driver but get your rest and if you get sleepy pull over and take a nap. No freight in the world is worth a life.

The only thing I can ad to the comments on this horrific tragedy is the advice I'm forever reminding every commercial driver that views photos,or actual trucking crash scenes where ever they be.

#1) always make sure you are rested before you drive any motor vehicle and place.
Next is almost as important make sure you are focusing on everything at all times.

As the Trucking Accident Moderator,and retired city driver after 45 years of service in the trucking industry.
I have found most crashes outside of weather related are due to driver error.
Someone, was not focusing on what they were doing.

Your co-worker was doing his job,and in an instant a family of 5 were dead.
Which this driver I'm sure is running the cause of his actions over,and over on how this crash didn't have to happen.

I'm not trying to be cold hearted,I'm just posting the way I see this,and so many other crashes over the years that never should have happen.

"May God have mercy on your co-worker,his family,and comfort everyone who knew the family who have lost their lives in this crash,in Jesus name I pray,AMEN!"

a post, I am going to defend my driver,I am not bashing you! He was in a city tractor that might have went to xgh for a pm. The tractor probably didn`t have a cb in it so he could be forwarned, of what was going on. I have driven this hi-way over the years and there are hills. So if he came over a hill, no warning, with a light duty tractor hauling 25 to 30 thousand in freight, it caught him by surprise. Lets let the dot decide what happened.

I'm sorry if I came off in an offensive way.
I see so many driver error crashes,I just wanted to offer the best advice I learned over my long trucking career,as I find and have posted a number of crashes that could have been avoided.

I know I'm a guest to your Conway forum,so please forgive me.
I will wait with the rest of you to see the final cause of this crash.

Whoever see's,or hears what the cause was please post an update,or if you would like please send me a PM.

Again I'm very sorry for being so bold to have misjudged your driver.
If it turns out that mechanical issues were the cause of this crash.

Get your facts straight!

He was not in a city tractor. He was in a road unit WITH a radio. Yes it was coming back from PM.

On sunday morning i drove past the accident site.It was just past the crest of the hill,only far enough beyond the hillcrest so the stopped traffic would not have been seen until you were at the hiilcrest.It may have been very difficult for anyone to avoid this accident.The position of the stopped traffic was probably at the point where approaching traffic had the minimum amount of possible reaction time.Maybe the best thing to do is slightly reduce your speed at crests of hills.

I was once driving in that exact area of I-65, when i was alerted to a complete shutdown of the southbound lanes at the 230 mile marker. I was pulling a set of doubles for R&L and was kinda new to linehaul. it was December and the bridge was frozen so there were trucks off the road all over the place.the only thing that saved me from plowing into that traffic stoppage was the northbound guys screaming over the CB at me too "slow down R&L, theres wreaks all over the place Ahead". I drove for Conway too and to this day I cant understand why corporate is so against putting radios in their trucks. i know you can carry a radio box but that just becomes a pain in the *** when you have to keep swithing trucks when your at the bottom of the seniority list. I dont say that having a radio would have helped this driver,but it coulndnt have hurt. I can only imagine how he must be hurting and thinking how he could have done something differnt. I know but for the grace of god i too could be in his shoes. just my 2 cents, rip me up if you like

On sunday morning i drove past the accident site.It was just past the crest of the hill,only far enough beyond the hillcrest so the stopped traffic would not have been seen until you were at the hiilcrest.It may have been very difficult for anyone to avoid this accident.The position of the stopped traffic was probably at the point where approaching traffic had the minimum amount of possible reaction time.

Maybe the best thing to do is slightly reduce your speed at crests of hills.

Well from the looks of it this might be the case. However there is a very wide shoulder there. There was an out. There is more to this story than what meets the eye.

I have to ask some questions and don't take it the wrong way. I have a real problem with this being the Con-Way drivers' fault. This guy has been in the chair for years, an experienced man, a seasoned veteran, and I really have a problem with the idea that it could be his fault.
This looks like a management problem if you ask me.

Was the driver delayed at the turn point to the last minute?
Did he have the opportunity to have time for a break time(outside the confines of the workings of the job) between the turn point and home?
Was he told by the supervisor to hurry back?

On a more general note.
Do you guys at Con-Way feel that you are given enough time to complete your job, without feeling the need to be rushed to the point of being in violation of the 11/14 rules?

I-65 is the most dangerous stretch of highway in the Midwest, in my opinion. I have seen more wrecks on this highway than any other. The southbound lanes are the "make up time" lanes after the trek through Chicago and the northbound lanes are the "get your arse through Chicago" lanes.

If time allows in the next short while, I will get the transit out and shoot a few grades. While the hill crest is an obstacle, there is undoubtedly more to this story than the obvious. I drove this stretch on Sunday, and did not feel that this grade was overwhelmingly blind. That is why I say there is much more to this story than what meets the eye.

My condolences to the family of the victims, and a speedy recovery to the injured.

I worked at Conway back in 2004 and they would make me switch out tractors for a pm and give me back a city unit to haul 34,ooo lbs. I was told to take it or quit. I was new and afraid to not take it at the time. it got me back, slowly but I learned. Also at Conway you never know when you are getting back to your barn, so getting on a regular sleep patern is Imposible, unless you have a bidded run, and no Vias to other barns. You also get very tired working the dock then drive 250 miles or so. As for Radios, Conway does not even believe in Air condition, let alone a radio. This driver also had a 2004, Hello this is 2009. I bet you he had 700,000 miles on that cheap sterling piece of junk. The driver will be fired and sued and lets hope he was not on the cell phone, eating, or his log book not up to date. This will cost Conway big bucks. What ever happened to the Smith System. Conway only has their system, get your butt back to your barn as quick as you can, with no breaks, or lunch. You eat while you drive. Anyway Bless his family and the family he killed, I know too it could be me oneday. I certainly had my eyes shut at the wheel from time to time, and all those close calls. Be alert, look far ahead or your DEAD!