XPO | Con-Way Truck involved in crash

I worked at Conway back in 2004 and they would make me switch out tractors for a pm and give me back a city unit to haul 34,ooo lbs. I was told to take it or quit. I was new and afraid to not take it at the time. it got me back, slowly but I learned. Also at Conway you never know when you are getting back to your barn, so getting on a regular sleep patern is Imposible, unless you have a bidded run, and no Vias to other barns. You also get very tired working the dock then drive 250 miles or so. As for Radios, Conway does not even believe in Air condition, let alone a radio. This driver also had a 2004, Hello this is 2009. I bet you he had 700,000 miles on that cheap sterling piece of junk. The driver will be fired and sued and lets hope he was not on the cell phone, eating, or his log book not up to date. This will cost Conway big bucks. What ever happened to the Smith System. Conway only has their system, get your butt back to your barn as quick as you can, with no breaks, or lunch. You eat while you drive. Anyway Bless his family and the family he killed, I know too it could be me oneday. I certainly had my eyes shut at the wheel from time to time, and all those close calls. Be alert, look far ahead or your DEAD!
To begin with it has been years since I have been in the area that this happened. BUT , I question whether or not there was a waring at the top of the hill that there was a hazard ahead. Most times there will be a State or Local at the top warning of a hazard. There has been times that the only reason I avoided a wreck was someone flashing their headlights before I reached the top of a hill or before going around a curve. I understand always being a out BUT there was one time last year that for me there was no time to take the out without rolling my set. All I could do was get on the brakes as hard as I could . Myself along with the car beside me and the car that cut in front of me was lucky and the Good Lord was watching over us all. I still have a hard time believing that my set didn't fold up. BUT like I said , The Man Above was why I didn't wreck. :shift::shift:

I worked at Conway back in 2004 and they would make me switch out tractors for a pm and give me back a city unit to haul 34,ooo lbs. I was told to take it or quit. I was new and afraid to not take it at the time. it got me back, slowly but I learned. Also at Conway you never know when you are getting back to your barn, so getting on a regular sleep patern is Imposible, unless you have a bidded run, and no Vias to other barns. You also get very tired working the dock then drive 250 miles or so. As for Radios, Conway does not even believe in Air condition, let alone a radio. This driver also had a 2004, Hello this is 2009. I bet you he had 700,000 miles on that cheap sterling piece of junk. The driver will be fired and sued and lets hope he was not on the cell phone, eating, or his log book not up to date. This will cost Conway big bucks. What ever happened to the Smith System. Conway only has their system, get your butt back to your barn as quick as you can, with no breaks, or lunch. You eat while you drive. Anyway Bless his family and the family he killed, I know too it could be me oneday. I certainly had my eyes shut at the wheel from time to time, and all those close calls. Be alert, look far ahead or your DEAD!

I have never been told that I could not take my breaks,and thier is no law that says a driver must take his breaks all the law states is we can not work more than 14 hrs from punch to punch and we as drivers need to stop trying to investigate this accident,as one said there is more here than meets the eye,nothing ticks me off more than when a dispatcher trys to drive my truck from his desk,so in my opinion we should stop trying to investigate what happened here from a computer...5 people have lost thier lives and more than likely a driver will lose his career.So with that being said I send my prayers and thoughts to all involved...may God bless them all

Well from the looks of it this might be the case. However there is a very wide shoulder there. There was an out. There is more to this story than what meets the eye.

I have to ask some questions and don't take it the wrong way. I have a real problem with this being the Con-Way drivers' fault. This guy has been in the chair for years, an experienced man, a seasoned veteran, and I really have a problem with the idea that it could be his fault.
This looks like a management problem if you ask me.

Was the driver delayed at the turn point to the last minute?
Did he have the opportunity to have time for a break time(outside the confines of the workings of the job) between the turn point and home?
Was he told by the supervisor to hurry back?

On a more general note.
Do you guys at Con-Way feel that you are given enough time to complete your job, without feeling the need to be rushed to the point of being in violation of the 11/14 rules?

I-65 is the most dangerous stretch of highway in the Midwest, in my opinion. I have seen more wrecks on this highway than any other. The southbound lanes are the "make up time" lanes after the trek through Chicago and the northbound lanes are the "get your arse through Chicago" lanes.

If time allows in the next short while, I will get the transit out and shoot a few grades. While the hill crest is an obstacle, there is undoubtedly more to this story than the obvious. I drove this stretch on Sunday, and did not feel that this grade was overwhelmingly blind. That is why I say there is much more to this story than what meets the eye.

My condolences to the family of the victims, and a speedy recovery to the injured.

as far as the 11/14 hr rules,we as conway linehaul drivers have log books and punch cards at every stop and the log must match the time card..if a driver reaches the limit he is to pull off park call in and he will be picked up from where ever he is..and yes he is paid to sit and wait for the ride and he is paid for the completion of the trip...conway drivers have been terminated for not running legal..I did not witness any part of thid accident but will bet any amount that hours of service is the one thing that will not be in question,in this wreck...we as drivers need to understand these posts are read by others than just drivers and the public already thinks bad enough of us...does anyone remember that show on 20 20(I think it was 20/20) KILLER TRUCKS

I have never been told that I could not take my breaks,and thier is no law that says a driver must take his breaks all the law states is we can not work more than 14 hrs from punch to punch and we as drivers need to stop trying to investigate this accident,as one said there is more here than meets the eye,nothing ticks me off more than when a dispatcher trys to drive my truck from his desk,so in my opinion we should stop trying to investigate what happened here from a computer...5 people have lost thier lives and more than likely a driver will lose his career.So with that being said I send my prayers and thoughts to all involved...may God bless them all

Agreed....And I will not even entertain Mikey's thoughts on this...Way out of bounds, Mikey...The last thing I say to every driver leaving the FAC is "Safe Home"...That's all any of us want for every driver..

I run hard!! But i run safe.. If i am tired i stop to sleep if im hungry i stop to eat.if i do not feel well i stop.no one has ever said a thing to me about it .just do your job well and safe.also i have never driven a truck at conway that was not safe nor would i.

And I can find things to beat up management on but I can honestly I don't have 1 complaint about conway safety they have never even asked me to do something unsafe or illegal. Nor would they. If the weather is bad or you're not feeling well they understand that the frieght will be late

Pushed too hard to meet schedules impossible to meet will always result in tragic situations.
It also has been said he came over a blind hill upon the previous accident.
I have witnessed Con-Way doubles "driving" hard along Chicago area highways. This I feel is the result of management pushing drivers to the limit. Con-Way needs to visit it's policies and kept the drivers and the public safe.

This driver is in big DO DO! He has 5 moving violations, 1 not wearing a sealbelt, 1 improper Lane violation, what next? Most companies will not hire you with 3 or more in 5yrs. He has 7 Total tickets, Not Good. He is DONE, Trust me. The only thing he can hope for is staying out of jail, or keep his insanity. How can you speed in a conway tractor? He was going uphill. Conway has the slowest tractors I even drove, they just turned them back again. (speed) He must have been distracted. When I worked there I would talk on the cell phone half the way back to fellow drivers (one a women) just to keep from being bored and gettiing sleepy. I still talk to fellow drivers for up to 1/2 hr. at any one time to break up the bordem, since driving all night get loney. Imagine his next application he fills out and it reads, I killed 5 people, I have numerious tickets (7) and counting in the last 10 yrs. Oh by the way, I was replaced by a driver when I worked there who dumped his set because while he was cleaning his glasses, he went out hurt, then quit. I have 0 tickets and accidents. I take my time, stay in my lane, look far ahead, do not ever tailgate, and try to stay awake, that does not ever happen, I pull over for 15min. Be Safe.....

Conway trucks are set at 62mph....so how could he have been speeding? These trucks can't even do the speed limit????? The article stats that the pick up rear ended the flatbed first...so I am going to assume they were speeding and not paying attention also??

My husband drives for Conway and I have meet several drivers out of many different terminals. These drivers are the most caring people I have ever met. I drive I-70 & I-57 (in my car) alot and I see Conway drivers on the road and I have yet to see them do anything wrong.

As for the drivers talking on their phones....hello they have bluetooths that means hands free to be on the wheel. With a CB you have to reach for the mic, press the button then talk..oh did I mention Iam pretty sure you would have to do this with at least one hand..right. So you can figure out whats safer.

Does it really matter how many tickets a driver has. My husband has drove for Conway for 10 years and was both ticket and accident free until this year. For 2 nights in a row I listened to my husband B---H about the tires that were on that trailer and the third night he had an accident, no one else was involed and thankfully he wasn't injured. But it took a few months for us to get through it, still does'nt make any sense how it happened.

My heart goes out to all involved. I can't even begin to imagine what this driver is going through.

Conway has the best they are all like family no matter what terminal you are out of. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you drivers.

ONE LAST THING 4 WHEELERS GET THE F--K OUT OF THE WAY, that would help!!!!!!!!

Conway trucks are set at 62mph....so how could he have been speeding? These trucks can't even do the speed limit????? The article stats that the pick up rear ended the flatbed first...so I am going to assume they were speeding and not paying attention also??

My husband drives for Conway and I have meet several drivers out of many different terminals. These drivers are the most caring people I have ever met. I drive I-70 & I-57 (in my car) alot and I see Conway drivers on the road and I have yet to see them do anything wrong.

As for the drivers talking on their phones....hello they have bluetooths that means hands free to be on the wheel. With a CB you have to reach for the mic, press the button then talk..oh did I mention Iam pretty sure you would have to do this with at least one hand..right. So you can figure out whats safer.

Does it really matter how many tickets a driver has. My husband has drove for Conway for 10 years and was both ticket and accident free until this year. For 2 nights in a row I listened to my husband B---H about the tires that were on that trailer and the third night he had an accident, no one else was involed and thankfully he wasn't injured. But it took a few months for us to get through it, still does'nt make any sense how it happened.

My heart goes out to all involved. I can't even begin to imagine what this driver is going through.

Conway has the best they are all like family no matter what terminal you are out of. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you drivers.

The article states that the car came to a stop behind the flatbed trailer before being struck by the set, and YES, it does matter how many tickets the driver has. It shows a pattern, good or bad.

That being said, my thoughts and prayers are with all involved. May God bless you all.

Hobart family killed in crash was on way to visit grandmother, Disney World / nwi.com

The semi driver, George A. H, 46, of Elkhorn, Wis., told police he felt something hit him from behind and later realized it was a Dodge pickup truck carrying the Workman family.

Another semi with double box trailers was also in the right lane when he approached the stopped traffic in front of him. That driver -- Forest E. S, 58, of Huber Heights, Ohio, could not stop in time and hit the rear of the Workman's pickup truck, pushing it into the rear of the first semi.

I sure hope you are kidding with that last Rant!!

I see alot of cars and trucks speeding up and down the interstate speeding up and slowing down when they get up by the big trucks, they cut them off, pass them and then slow down, they would'nt want to get passed by semi now would they. I have more problems with the cars and trucks than I do the semis. Most truck drivers flash their lights at you to let you its ok to get back over or they flash them to thank you for letting them over, I have yet to see a car or truck do that......waiting

It is generaly a truck driver that will stop and help a 4 wheeler that is brok down on the side of the interstate. They are on the clock and stop to help you anyway. All in all I think truck drivers are pretty nice. You might have a few bad ones here there, but I work in an office and we have few bads ones also.

as a fellow driver, that is the worst thing that could ever happen to a driver on the road my hearts and prayers go out to everyone involved i may not work for conway but it's something no driver wants to see another go through

I was in a motel bed the morning this took place and thats all the news media was talking about that morning. I'm really sorry to the family in the car, the parents are the same age as my wife and I.

This driver is in big DO DO! He has 5 moving violations, 1 not wearing a sealbelt, 1 improper Lane violation, what next? Most companies will not hire you with 3 or more in 5yrs. He has 7 Total tickets, Not Good. He is DONE, Trust me. The only thing he can hope for is staying out of jail, or keep his insanity. How can you speed in a conway tractor? He was going uphill. Conway has the slowest tractors I even drove, they just turned them back again. (speed) He must have been distracted. When I worked there I would talk on the cell phone half the way back to fellow drivers (one a women) just to keep from being bored and gettiing sleepy. I still talk to fellow drivers for up to 1/2 hr. at any one time to break up the bordem, since driving all night get loney. Imagine his next application he fills out and it reads, I killed 5 people, I have numerious tickets (7) and counting in the last 10 yrs. Oh by the way, I was replaced by a driver when I worked there who dumped his set because while he was cleaning his glasses, he went out hurt, then quit. I have 0 tickets and accidents. I take my time, stay in my lane, look far ahead, do not ever tailgate, and try to stay awake, that does not ever happen, I pull over for 15min. Be Safe.....
Unless I missed it , this is still under investigation. I think that it is wrong to blame or condemn this driver. Like I mentioned in a earlier Post , why wasn't a Safety Vehicle at the top of the hill? One News Article even stated that a Safety Vehicle is S.O.P. for a situation like this but there wasn't any communication between the State Patrol and the Sheriff Department. No matter if he is found guilty or not , this man is going to go thru personal grief and self torture the rest of his life.
Years ago I was involved in a accident in my own personal vehicle that was not my fault. No one was killed but it was bad. To this day , every time I go thru that intersection it haunts me. I ask everyone , PLEASE stop attacking this driver. Even if he gets ticketed for it , this was not intentional. This is a tragedy for the Driver and his family not to mention the family that was killed. We need to have some respect for all involved. No matter how safe we try to be , ANY ONE OF US COULD BE NEXT!!! :shift:

No comment yet on ANYTHING except the fact that you found it necessary to point out that you actually talked to a "women" on your cell phone. Huh? Wha?