ABF | Contract talks @ the Local Hall

vongrimmenstein

I stand for our flag, & kneel for the fallen
Credits
Could someone put together some numbers about the raises that ABF Management has taken since we voted on the 15 % give back or shortly before the vote. What percentage increase was their raise over the previous pay etc? How much did Roy or Judy see during the promotions & since? I ask this because I want to read to the members in my Local these figures when we have a meeting in December or January about the offer our Local is telling us they negotiated for us. I believe my fellow Brothers & Sisters need to be informed of this before they send in their vote. When someone sees the contrast between their raises & what ABF wants us to give up, I hope it has an effect on their vote. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Could someone put together some numbers about the raises that ABF Management has taken since we voted on the 15 % give back or shortly before the vote. What percentage increase was their raise over the previous pay etc? How much did Roy or Judy see during the promotions & since? I ask this because I want to read to the members in my Local these figures when we have a meeting in December or January about the offer our Local is telling us they negotiated for us. I believe my fellow Brothers & Sisters need to be informed of this before they send in their vote. When someone sees the contrast between their raises & what ABF wants us to give up, I hope it has an effect on their vote. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Everything that you will need will be found in here vongrimmenstein:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=arkansas%20best%20executive%20pension%20scheme&source=web&cd=19&ved=0CEsQFjAIOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.arkbest.com%2Ffinance%2Ffilings%2F2012%2F2012_Proxy.pdf&ei=Qi85UO3DK6nq2AWg3oC4DA&usg=AFQjCNET_dfeX8UxvSS5UoxB8uIrhORFnA&cad=rja

Executive Compensation Relative to Company Performance
Compensation levels in 2011 for the Named Executive Officers increased over 2010 as a result of the improving
performance of the Company.
Base Salary Increases: The Committee approved base salary increases for the Named Executive Officers effective
January 1, 2011. Based on Ms. McReynolds’ performance during her first year as the Company’s President–CEO,
the Committee increased Ms. McReynolds salary from $450,000 to $525,000. This increase was a part of the
Compensation Committee’s plan to increase her pay level as she has additional time in her new CEO role and to
bring her salary above the 25th percentile as compared to our peer group as identified on page 25. The other Named
Executive Officers received increases equivalent to the increases provided to other salaried employees of the
Company.

It's a long read but very informative...and good luck at the meeting!

And don't forget to mention:

As previously announced, Arkansas Best acquired Panther on June 15, 2012. The aggregate purchase price of approximately $181 million included a preliminary post-closing adjustment to net working capital. Arkansas Best did not assume any of Panther’s debt that existed prior to the acquisition.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=abf%20freight%20buys%20albert%20moving%20four%20million&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDcQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.arkbest.com%2Fnews%2Fpr%2FPDF%2F2012%2F2Q_12_Earnings_Release.pdf&ei=vYBkUP-jNebW2gWV1YDABA&usg=AFQjCNFf-Do3KgJfHps4LAKvLYKCA1JHhA&cad=rja

Also:

Arkansas Best recently purchased Wichita Falls, Texas-based Albert for $4 million.

At the end of 2011, the special services division recorded $85.6 million in revenue, up over $63.7 million during 2010. Operating income in the segment during 2011 was $2.7 million, up almost 60% compared to the $1.7 million during 2010.

Arkansas Best seeks space, subsidiary growth | Business, Political, and Cultural News in Fort Smith and Northwest Arkansas

Thanks. Just what I was looking for. I will put something together by November & post it for anyone to use.

You're welcome! That would be great to have everything together in one little package. I...for one...will be looking forward to reading it.

Local sendings us proposal sheets to fill out, to busy with ups negotiations to worry about ABF? It seems we're getting black balled because of the lawsuit. I wonder how fast they would care about ABF if 7,000 members stopped paying dues....

Local sendings us proposal sheets to fill out, to busy with ups negotiations to worry about ABF? It seems we're getting black balled because of the lawsuit. I wonder how fast they would care about ABF if 7,000 members stopped paying dues....

Trashing the IBT doesn't help either. Lucky for you people they are professionals. You will get for what ever you settle for depending on how much heat is applied by Ms Judy McDonald

Trashing the IBT doesn't help either. Lucky for you people they are professionals. You will get for what ever you settle for depending on how much heat is applied by Ms Judy McDonald
Once again responding to something that has nothing to do with you....

I was notified yesterday that our local will have a meeting 10/13/2012 to discuss the ABF contract. It will be good since our president didn't even come to ABF when he was running for office. We haven't seen him at our terminal in years. He tries to man handle Teamsters and that doesn't fly at our place. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

I received my proposal sheet along with the letter stating there will be a meeting 10/13/2012 on the ABF National contract. It appears the NMFA is going to be DEAD! We need to now more than ever communicate amongst ourselves. Please think twice before you write anything down. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

Im not trying to defend what management makes but it gets tiring when us TRUCK DRIVERS try to compare what we make with any CEO....of course there is going to be a rather large difference. Just as a reference WalMarts CEO makes over $35 million a year and the average WalMart worker makes $ 8.75 an hour with no benefits.

Also you might be surprised to find out ABF management salaries went up about 1% over a 3 year period. All management took over a 6 month pay cut of 10% while the "plan" was being sold to us. A 10% cut over 6 months is roughly a 5% cut for the year, the next 2 years averaged a 3% increase giving a overall 1% increase over a 3 year period. Watch what we wish for.

Im not trying to defend what management makes but it gets tiring when us TRUCK DRIVERS try to compare what we make with any CEO....of course there is going to be a rather large difference. Just as a reference WalMarts CEO makes over $35 million a year and the average WalMart worker makes $ 8.75 an hour with no benefits.

Also you might be surprised to find out ABF management salaries went up about 1% over a 3 year period. All management took over a 6 month pay cut of 10% while the "plan" was being sold to us. A 10% cut over 6 months is roughly a 5% cut for the year, the next 2 years averaged a 3% increase giving a overall 1% increase over a 3 year period. Watch what we wish for.
You got these figures from where?

I received my proposal sheet along with the letter stating there will be a meeting 10/13/2012 on the ABF National contract. It appears the NMFA is going to be DEAD! We need to now more than ever communicate amongst ourselves. Please think twice before you write anything down. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!
We should put down several proposal s pick some of the better ones out then fill out the proposal sheets.

You said it all in just one sentence. that they took the cut while the "plan" WAS BEING SOLD TO US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't take them long to get it back did it?

My original request for the figures was for one reason only. The percentage of increase from the give back vote to present. The reason? At the meeting I want my fellow members to be informed of what they want to take from us & how much we had to give them. Bet you a dollar to donut the difference will get your un-divided attention. What ever your perception is of the figures, I hope it is in the fore front of your thoughts as you place that check mark in the box.

You got these figures from where?

Im not sure which figures you mean .?. The Walmart info is public and the ABF info comes from 2 separate sources I trust.

Overall they took home negative money because of the 10% cut even with the two 3% increases. Just to make the math simple lets say the ABF manager makes $ 100 a year (lol). He took a pay cut of 10% for 7 months so instead of making $100 that year he took home $94.16. He was then reinstated to full pay ($100) after we voted down the cuts and was then given a 3% raise, so year two he took home $103. Year three they again received a 3% raise so he took home $106.09. His total pay over 3 years he made $303.25. Averaged over the 3 year period the total raise equals a 1.08% increase.

If they never took the cut they would have made $100 year one, $103 year two and 106.09 year three. The 3 year total would have been $309.09 vs. the $303.25 making it a actual decrease of 2% in total pay.

At least we got to vote on it....

You said it all in just one sentence. that they took the cut while the "plan" WAS BEING SOLD TO US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't take them long to get it back did it?

Exactly, the plan was being sold to us but we didnt fall for it. The 10% pay cut would have been permanent for them if we voted for the cut, thats the way the deal was worded.