TForce | Cross classification bidding

Overnite

TB Veteran
Credits
There are basically 2 main Boards in the Indy contract, road and local cartage, casuals have a third board but it is not counted.

Bidding for a job not in your classification stays like it is now, if you change classifications you go to the bottom of the new classification.

Or should there be just 1 seniority board and you can switch between classifications without goinf to the bottom.

I am going to put a third option, so post if you have another idea.

SENIORITY RULES PERIOD!!! Or lets keep it the same so we can be TEAMSTERS with "O" rules. Give me a break!!!

Gee Buster Are you wanting your seniorty to start the first time you walk in the gate as a full time employee ? It works for me !!! Back in the days of old I was told that I could not have a road job ( sleeper team ) because they would have to train someone to do my job. So they hired a joe blow off the street and I didnt get the job. This happened time after time. As I look at the seniorty board evryone there was hired after me. They will always have a better run,make more money !!! Why ??? Because of the way thing were done back in the day of O So most of the road men brought there seniorty with them from other companys. Was this fair ?

SENIORITY RULES PERIOD!!! Or lets keep it the same so we can be TEAMSTERS with "O" rules. Give me a break!!!

I like the seperation between the city and the road! Meaning road drivers on 1 senority roster and local cartage on there own senority roster. But what I do not agree with is senority by classification for local cartage (ie.city/dock)...your senority date should be the date you were hired full time and put on the city board. Same on road board but on the road board you have ONE classification....ROAD DRIVER....and some times guys/gals go from the city to the road and then they SHOULD go to the BOTTOM on that board for sure and vice versa if they go from the road to the city. But with a local cartage board you have multiple classifications defined in that board and you should be able to bid any of those jobs based on your full time hire date. Another words a city man should have the right to bid any classification on his board city or dock without being punished for bidding city driver 1 year and things changing at home and next year bidding dock worker if a bid is available his full time hire date will allow him or her to hold. The way it is now go from dock to city and start on the bottom of that board all over again and get the worst start time! If it is all being defined as local cartage then you should be able to bid ANY local cartage job that is your senority will hold. Is that going to be the case.....I do not know but the Indy contract from what I have been told keeps senority the same as "O"! Just as I explained above but when I read the contract and it says there will be 2 separate senority rosters! One roster being LOCAL CARTAGE and it breaks down who would be covered on that roster and it say dock worker, hostler, city p/d. Second roster would be for all road driver and a separate senority roster for part-time (casual). It also says any non cdl employees that are full time a time of being reconized would be highlighted in red on the local cartage roster and be protected with non cdl bids for them but all NEW hires MUST have a cdl before getting hired full time and added to the local cartage roster. If Local cartage roster is defined as DOCK, HOSTLER and CITY P/D should'nt you be able to bid anyone of these jobs without a JOB CLASSIFICATION SENORITY IF YOU CHANGE FROM DOCK TO HOSTLER YOU SHOULD NOT LOSE ANYTHING SAME THING FOR CITY P/D ONE BID AND GOING TO HOSTLER THE NEXT BID.

I like the seperation between the city and the road! Meaning road drivers on 1 senority roster and local cartage on there own senority roster. But what I do not agree with is senority by classification for local cartage (ie.city/dock)...your senority date should be the date you were hired full time and put on the city board. Same on road board but on the road board you have ONE classification....ROAD DRIVER....and some times guys/gals go from the city to the road and then they SHOULD go to the BOTTOM on that board for sure and vice versa if they go from the road to the city. But with a local cartage board you have multiple classifications defined in that board and you should be able to bid any of those jobs based on your full time hire date. Another words a city man should have the right to bid any classification on his board city or dock without being punished for bidding city driver 1 year and things changing at home and next year bidding dock worker if a bid is available his full time hire date will allow him or her to hold. The way it is now go from dock to city and start on the bottom of that board all over again and get the worst start time! If it is all being defined as local cartage then you should be able to bid ANY local cartage job that is your senority will hold. Is that going to be the case.....I do not know but the Indy contract from what I have been told keeps senority the same as "O"! Just as I explained above but when I read the contract and it says there will be 2 separate senority rosters! One roster being LOCAL CARTAGE and it breaks down who would be covered on that roster and it say dock worker, hostler, city p/d. Second roster would be for all road driver and a separate senority roster for part-time (casual). It also says any non cdl employees that are full time a time of being reconized would be highlighted in red on the local cartage roster and be protected with non cdl bids for them but all NEW hires MUST have a cdl before getting hired full time and added to the local cartage roster. If Local cartage roster is defined as DOCK, HOSTLER and CITY P/D should'nt you be able to bid anyone of these jobs without a JOB CLASSIFICATION SENORITY IF YOU CHANGE FROM DOCK TO HOSTLER YOU SHOULD NOT LOSE ANYTHING SAME THING FOR CITY P/D ONE BID AND GOING TO HOSTLER THE NEXT BID.

So what you are saying is that someone like me who has 25 years on the road and in the future I may want to bid into the city, I go to the bottom and I get to sit home and watch a driver that was hired two weeks ago get the work. Let me see, My 25 years, His two weeks, I get to sit home. Yup, Sounds just like "O" and Not a TEAMSTER!!!!!

Gee Buster Are you wanting your seniorty to start the first time you walk in the gate as a full time employee ? It works for me !!! Back in the days of old I was told that I could not have a road job ( sleeper team ) because they would have to train someone to do my job. So they hired a joe blow off the street and I didnt get the job. This happened time after time. As I look at the seniorty board evryone there was hired after me. They will always have a better run,make more money !!! Why ??? Because of the way thing were done back in the day of O So most of the road men brought there seniorty with them from other companys. Was this fair ?

That is exactly right!!! If you are hired full time for a driving job, That should be your company hire date. Know matter what job classification you bid on, (P&D, Road)
Just like a TEAMSTER!!!!!!PERIOD!!!!

So what you are saying is that someone like me who has 25 years on the road and in the future I may want to bid into the city, I go to the bottom and I get to sit home and watch a driver that was hired two weeks ago get the work. Let me see, My 25 years, His two weeks, I get to sit home. Yup, Sounds just like "O" and Not a TEAMSTER!!!!!

We all knew the rules when we took our jobs at ovnt, when they had rules. You went to the road and the road job went away, you go to the bottom. I doubt you will have enough guys on your side to vote that into your contract. The way it has been will be the way it will be.(most likely)

We all knew the rules when we took our jobs at ovnt, when they had rules. You went to the road and the road job went away, you go to the bottom. I doubt you will have enough guys on your side to vote that into your contract. The way it has been will be the way it will be.(most likely)

Yes, I understand that we will be teamsters with the same rules and policy's that we were all complaining about to begin with. WTF

I guess seniority is just not a big issue with anyone? Why keep the two classifications seperate? Don't we all work for the same company/terminal. Seniority should prevail at bid time. What difference doe's it make what classification it is. Its fair to both sides of the classification. Or is it that most senior men are on the road and we would not want them to use there seniority because it would hurt me?

Does anyone know why The seniority was ever split before?

I don't. It has been this way for the 25 years I have been on the road. Seniority has always been a huge issue with me. As the rules are now, our seniority really doe's not count for much. I have seen a 10 year man on the bottom of the road board get forced into the city because his schedule road run was terminated. It was the slow winter months. He sat at home, begging for work while employee's with less than 6 months worked every day. 10 years vs 6 months How pitiful. I don't care what classification it is. Seniority should prevail.

I really don't know, but I would guess it has to due with each terminal. Some have alot of road guys with only a few city and some have the opposite. It may just be easier to set the schedule based on the seperate classes. With one list you would have a hard time with the starting time day to day. We are subject to hours rules and stuff like that, What if a road guys run got cut one night, would you bring him in the next morning to do city? Then who is going to do his run that night if it goes? He can't do both. keeping them seperate, keeps the operation going smoother. This is just my thought.

I don't. It has been this way for the 25 years I have been on the road. Seniority has always been a huge issue with me. As the rules are now, our seniority really doe's not count for much. I have seen a 10 year man on the bottom of the road board get forced into the city because his schedule road run was terminated. It was the slow winter months. He sat at home, begging for work while employee's with less than 6 months worked every day. 10 years vs 6 months How pitiful. I don't care what classification it is. Seniority should prevail.

Under the contract he would bump the least senior guy, and would have all rights to the road when business picked up.

I really don't know, but I would guess it has to due with each terminal. Some have alot of road guys with only a few city and some have the opposite. It may just be easier to set the schedule based on the seperate classes. With one list you would have a hard time with the starting time day to day. We are subject to hours rules and stuff like that, What if a road guys run got cut one night, would you bring him in the next morning to do city? Then who is going to do his run that night if it goes? He can't do both. keeping them seperate, keeps the operation going smoother. This is just my thought.

Its not this way under the NMFA.
You have a road and a city classification. Once per year both classifications bid on which classification they want with there full time company hire date seniority. There is not to much to it. I am not talking about bidding on a day to day basis like it used to be with the Teamsters back in the day.

I agree with you BN!!! That sums up the mentality of some. Your little analogy actually happened to me here. Started on the dock because they didn't have any city runs open, then after almost a year, city runs with new hires taking them over me. Absolutely ridiculas!!! Master List!!! No if's, and's or but's!!!

Does anyone know why The seniority was ever split before?
O,
The list was split because up until several years ago there wasn't the need to have one employee do all types of work. There were road drivers and city drivers and dockhands. 99% of these guys wanted nothing to do with the other jobs....if they were are a road driver they didn't like city work or dock and vice versa....the dockhands had no interest in driving, etc. The 80's brought in the time of the combination man....he was allowed to work city driving and/or dock. At that time many dockhands were red circled....something we talked about in another thread I believe. A red circled dockhand could not be let go just because he didn't want to learn to drive a truck. It was part of the agreement in allowing the combo man. I'm sure that in INDY it'll work the same way.

Excuse me but I'm trying to figure out where you are coming from. Was you a P&D driver wanting to go team but they didn't have anyone to replace you so you didn't move to the line board. Then they hired other line drivers which are now over you since you moved to the line board. I'm kind of confused you said they bought their senority with them from other companies and are over you now. Was you qualified to be a road driver?
Please explain in a little more detail.