TForce | Cross classification bidding

Its not this way under the NMFA.
You have a road and a city classification. Once per year both classifications bid on which classification they want with there full time company hire date seniority. There is not to much to it. I am not talking about bidding on a day to day basis like it used to be with the Teamsters back in the day.
BN,
What you describe is very much the exception to the rule in the NMFA. What you're referring to is a Master seniority board and they're rare. It's mainly a Mid-Atlantic and a Northeast thing in a very limited amount of terminals but not anywhere else in the Country that I'm aware of.

That is exactly right!!! If you are hired full time for a driving job, That should be your company hire date. Know matter what job classification you bid on, (P&D, Road)
Just like a TEAMSTER!!!!!!PERIOD!!!!

Ok, Now the way it is right now is IF a 25 year man transfers to another terminal he goes to the bottom and stays there till he retires. Even if the highest man only has 10 years. Do you agree with this?

BN,
What you describe is very much the exception to the rule in the NMFA. What you're referring to is a Master seniority board and they're rare. It's mainly a Mid-Atlantic and a Northeast thing in a very limited amount of terminals but not anywhere else in the Country that I'm aware of.

I'm pretty sure the teamsters around here have two boards and if you switch you go to the bottom for a year a day and a bid. I'm Ok with that but not one board. I work my way up the road board while a city driver is home at night with his wife and kids and when the kids are grown he decides he wants to bump me? Then when the snow comes he wants to go back to the city? I dont think so. Pick what you want and stick with it.

Ok, Now the way it is right now is IF a 25 year man transfers to another terminal he goes to the bottom and stays there till he retires. Even if the highest man only has 10 years. Do you agree with this?

Absolutely. If he transfers because its warm and shinny thats his doing and therefore goes to the bottom like a new hire because this essentially what he is doing. But if a barn closes and he is given the opportunity to follow the work then he would dovetail into his seniority slot on the board.

Absolutely. If he transfers because its warm and shinny thats his doing and therefore goes to the bottom like a new hire because this essentially what he is doing. But if a barn closes and he is given the opportunity to follow the work then he would dovetail into his seniority slot on the board.

Agreed.:1036316054:

Yes I do. But, I have not been talking about transfer issues.

seniority by hiring date with one list.....just like the big boys

NMFA has 2 senority boards, I labored under that contract for several years. ABF opened up the moving from the city to the road about 2 years ago when they need qualified driver very bad. When they did this those guys that went from the city to the road went directly to the bottom of that road board. They tried to file a grievance to regain their senority and was unsuccessful. Some of them guys had 10 plus years senority. Now what I am saying is even now I know they do not have a annual bid where every man has a chance to change boards and keep hire date senority. If there is a change of operations then senority will be dove tailed per the change of operation detailes. I understand what the 25 plus years guy was saying about the road but my post was talking about bidding in the city with classification senority and letting your full time hire date be used for all classification just like the big boys do. If the local cartage senority roster includes the classifications of dock, hostling and city p/d it should be bid based on company senority and if you bid hostling on bid cycle and city p/d next you should not be placed at the bottom because all them classifications are city jobs not road jobs.

Yes I do. But, I have not been talking about transfer issues.

Ok, That was just one point. However, We have always followed the teamsters as far as seniority and bids. How do you think Overnite has kept the union out all of it's years.
But this is UPS bring on the horses!!!

I don't care about losing the 401 match I have enough money...:funky:

I'm pretty sure the teamsters around here have two boards and if you switch you go to the bottom for a year a day and a bid. I'm Ok with that but not one board. I work my way up the road board while a city driver is home at night with his wife and kids and when the kids are grown he decides he wants to bump me? Then when the snow comes he wants to go back to the city? I dont think so. Pick what you want and stick with it.

Amen brother you get a greenie !:1036316054:

Ok, That was just one point. However, We have always followed the teamsters as far as seniority and bids. How do you think Overnite has kept the union out all of it's years.

Dammit boy look out hes on board again J/K:biglaugh::biglaugh:

OK, But lets say you have 25 years on the road (like me) And then tragedy strikes and you are forced to work a day schedule. You with your 25 years would sit home and beg for work (at slow time) while a man they hired full time that started one week ago, would get the work. Now Im not talking about bumping into the city or road whenever you want. Only at bid time. If you need to change classifications asap, you would go to the bottom in that classification until the next scheduled bid. Is that not fair?

100% agreed!!!!:1036316054:

OK, But lets say you have 25 years on the road (like me) And then tragedy strikes and you are forced to work a day schedule. You with your 25 years would sit home and beg for work (at slow time) while a man they hired full time that started one week ago, would get the work. Now Im not talking about bumping into the city or road whenever you want. Only at bid time. If you need to change classifications asap, you would go to the bottom in that classification until the next scheduled bid. Is that not fair?

I understand what you are saying and I agree. But how do you stop a guy from switching at every bid? Thats why I think there should be a year waiting period, or six months even, which is better than you have now.

Here's another thought. At a large center it takes 2-3 weeks to complete a rebid on the road. can you imagine the cluster **** if you had one list and rebid every single job every 6 months? I still like the year and a day.

The contract say every 6 months for a bid unless runs change then a rebid can be offered, also bids only open for 14 days.

I understand what you are saying and I agree. But how do you stop a guy from switching at every bid? Thats why I think there should be a year waiting period, or six months even, which is better than you have now.

I do not agree with the bumping around all the time, Im with you on this.
It takes to much time for an employee and their family to get used to a classification. Especially the road.

A once a year bid on this would be fair to all. Both city and road bid at the same time each year.

The contract say every 6 months for a bid unless runs change then a rebid can be offered, also bids only open for 14 days.

"O" policy is 4 bids can take place each year. Even more if there is a significant change in a road run. Allthough this has been left up to terminal managers and most only bid once per year.

Ive been with O/ups 13Yyrs I worked city for 2yrs then there was an opening on the road board. There were 30 city drivers who could of bid for this opening but they did not because they were happy were they were. bottom line is they did not want to pay there dues being on the extraboard on call and driving on snow and ice filling in on sleeperteams with people who you don,t realy care for.:chairshot: With 1 sen. list it would allow these drivers who did not want to make the sacrafice jump to front of road board.Iam 100% for senyority.I would be for 1 list if we started under that policy when we hired on or maybe there is a way to grandfather this into the contrat. your thoughts on this thanks

Ive been with O/ups 13Yyrs I worked city for 2yrs then there was an opening on the road board. There were 30 city drivers who could of bid for this opening but they did not because they were happy were they were. bottom line is they did not want to pay there dues being on the extraboard on call and driving on snow and ice filling in on sleeperteams with people who you don,t realy care for.:chairshot: With 1 sen. list it would allow these drivers who did not want to make the sacrafice jump to front of road board.Iam 100% for senyority.I would be for 1 list if we started under that policy when we hired on or maybe there is a way to grandfather this into the contrat. your thoughts on this thanks

I understand what you are saying and agree to some point as far as paying your dues. We all have. As I have no plans of ever being a P&D driver I think about the WHAT IF there was ever a tragic situation where I would have to make the decision to work days. After 25 years on line haul with "O"/UPSF Would it be fare that I bid into the city and go to the very bottom. As it is this means, EXAMPLE: The company hires a new employee last week. He has one week company seniority. I go into the city next week. I have 25 years company seniority. I would sit at home on call while the one week man works. If it were the slow season, this could mean no work for weeks on end. Keep in mind that the same goe's for a P&D driver that for some reason has to bid on line haul. This just doe's not sound fair. Now, Im not talking about a situation where we would be able to bounce, jump,or bid any time we want. To make it fair, I would think that a one time bid once per year would be fair to bid in either classification that you wanted with your company full time hire date seniority. In the event that you needed to change classification (if opening is available) at any given time, You would go to the bottom of the list until the next bid. In the long run, members will have to vote on this issue per your terminal or reigional contract.

Its not this way under the NMFA.
You have a road and a city classification. Once per year both classifications bid on which classification they want with there full time company hire date seniority. There is not to much to it. I am not talking about bidding on a day to day basis like it used to be with the Teamsters back in the day.

This is for the single line senority boards.

Just to add on that and this is the NE only, when you have those two classifications, Bid every contract date, which is the first sunday in April every year, switch classes with out losing seniority. Now if they rebid at any other time, they must bid seperately and at different times.maening p&d one week road the next. If they bid both at the same time, you once again can jump classification.

on another subject, down south you can jump classification, lose your seniority for 1yr and a day, then get back your full seniority. You do not however lose seniority for vacations and personals.