Digging up bones.

Hookman

Just passing thru on my way home
PREMIUM
Credits
Bad Hair GIF by Nat Geo Wild
Thought somebody ought to put something here since Jeff gave some space. Worked for a few companies that went to the boneyard.

I bet most of us on here did.
Yep, your old Lazy J and Akers motor lines, Roadway, were the big dogs in Charl in past years.
If you worked for one of them you were a celebrity.
My aunt wanted me to quit Ryder and go to work for Akers.
Told her you must be out of your mind, I go no farther north than Roanoke single operation, no sleepers all south end runs.
Her brother had her convinced he had a better job.
They were a lot of good outfits in Charl in those days, I still think I had the better job.
I was with them from 55 to 90, never had but the one job.

They were a lot of good outfits in Charl in those days, I still think I had the better job.
I started my first trucking job in Michigan after I left the USMC in 1973. Moved to New Mexico in 1981 and started the best job I ever had with Roadway Express the same year. Retired 28 years later, about six months after the merger with Yellow.

Last edited:
I started my first trucking job in Michigan after I left the USMC in 1973. Moved to New Mexico in 1981 and started the best job I ever had with Roadway Express the same year. Retired 28 years later, about six months after the merger with Yellow.
Mud, Jeff is expecting one to reveal all facts about one's career.
I'll help you out, after retiring, you started a shopping cart repair service for Wallyworld.
Not being satisfied with being an ordinary entrepreneur, you built an empire selling Campground Approved Firewood.
If I've left out any other excursions, please let us know.

I'll help you out, after retiring, you started a shopping cart repair service for Wallyworld.
Not being satisfied with being an ordinary entrepreneur, you built an empire selling Campground Approved Firewood.
But did he end up taking a 15% pay cut through a Esop? Asking for a friend.

I went through 3 on the board, Nielsen freight, NW, then CF before I was done. Worked out of the union hall for 3 yrs so I probably worked at all the victims on the west coast.
Hookman, I started at Johnson Motor Lines then Ryder Truck Lines who became Ryder/PIE then Roadway Express who became YRC. Enjoyed working at every company except the final few years at YRC.

I no longer repair shopping carts for Walmart, and as I am no longer living in the Jemez Mountains of New Mexico, Camp Ground Approved Firewood is no more. I'm now fully retired and enjoying life in Rio Rancho, NM.
But maybe, who knows what could be next???

I no longer repair shopping carts for Walmart, and as I am no longer living in the Jemez Mountains of New Mexico, Camp Ground Approved Firewood is no more. I'm now fully retired and enjoying life in Rio Rancho, NM.
Just when I was ready to place a large wood order for the Boy Scouts.

I did not know you left the mountains & moved south to the city.

I went through 3 on the board, Nielsen freight, NW, then CF before I was done. Worked out of the union hall for 3 yrs so I probably worked at all the victims on the west coast.
Did you work in the city or on the road,At one time all the road drivers came out of Denver ,team ,Until VP of operations George Robeorge Changed the line haul .

Did you work in the city or on the road,At one time all the road drivers came out of Denver ,team ,Until VP of operations George Robeorge Changed the line haul .
I worked local out of Funtucky (Fontana Ca,) I remember when Linehaul was all out of Denver.

Drove for the following companies:

ABF
Carolina
Consolidated Freightways
Cooper-Jarrett
ConWay Eastern Express (Teamster, former Penn Yan)
Eastern Freightways
Holmes
Maislin
New Penn
PIE
Pilot
Port Motor Lines
Roadway
St. Johnsbury
Schuster
Two Guys/Leeds Fox
UPS
Walsh
Yellow
YRC Freight

Seniority at UPS, Maislin, and PIE; Casual (Road or P&D or both) at the others.

Drove for the following companies:

ABF
Carolina
Consolidated Freightways
Cooper-Jarrett
ConWay Eastern Express (Teamster, former Penn Yan)
Eastern Freightways
Holmes
Maislin
New Penn
PIE
Pilot
Port Motor Lines
Roadway
St. Johnsbury
Schuster
Two Guys/Leeds Fox
UPS
Walsh
Yellow
YRC Freight

Seniority at UPS, Maislin, and PIE; Casual (Road or P&D or both) at the others.
Yep, I know what you mean.
I had a friend that couldn't hold a job also!