XPO | Dropped Trailer Awareness?

With the continuing decreased allowed hook times there is bound to be more dropped trailers. My understanding is Ups, ABF have 38 minutes to hook a set and 20 minutes for a single to allow for proper hook and pre trip.

Delivering pizza in under 30 minutes got Dominos in hot water. Could hooks in under 20 minutes do the same.
I heard, not sure if it is true, but FedEx gets a flat rate of 20mins to hook and drop

Our guys got got told a week ago yard flow is not allowed to be used.( no bs )
Yard Congestion. You can type a long story if there if you want. I have. Here's one: "There were other drivers in the yard hooking there sets and for the lack of space and to be safe I had to wait on those driver to move."
Also if I was told I can't use "Yard Flow" why do you have a yard flow map? Drive the wrong way then. I have, when I been there at XPH. Driving out on a public street in "Yard Mode" is in violation of the yard mode setting on the E-log. You are not on private property when you tire hit the street in front of your barn.

Last edited:
We have been given sooooo much grief about hook times. I used to put yard traffic and was never questioned. It was just quick and easy. Now they want to know what really took so long. I’m careful now and am sure to use the other options on the handheld, placard, shop, breakdown etc. just keep it off hook time. Don’t forget paperwork and pre/post trips are “off the clock”! I just let more little things go now. Safety first lol.
Ask you TM if the city driver are off the clock when they do there paperwork, pre/post trip. Back in the paper log days one of or FOS told me that filling out my log sheet and paperwork was to been done off the clock. I looked up and said. You see those city driver there have them punch out they are doing paperwork too.
Oh one last thing go do you pre/post trip off the clock and get hurt. Then see how fast they will deny your work comp claim.

19 years, 4 of those on linehaul. Never once did I do any paperwork off the clock. And I always trained new people not to do off the clock work either. I don't know how it is with handhelds now, but screw all of that if at all possible. 'Off the clock' is for chumps. We need to be paid for all we do.
I have logged out in the morning and was then told I need to see the TM. I proceed to log back in and punch the time clock. I do nothing for free here or at any other company I have work for. One of my favorite sayings is. XPO doesn't haul freight for free I don't work for free

Last I knew 4/32 for steer tires , 2/32 for drives .
You are correct
CFR 393.75
“No motor vehicle shall be operated on any tire” that:
• Has body-ply or belt material exposed through the tread or sidewall
• Has any tread or sidewall
separation
• Is flat or has an audible air leak
• Has a cut to the extent that the body-ply or belt material is exposed

Parts B and C describe the minimum tread depth allowed. The measurement must be done in a major groove but should not be made where there are stone ejectors, tie bars and/or humps. The minimum tread depth for steer tires is 4/32-inch, and 2/32-inch for any other wheel position.

We get 30 minutes for each hook and another 30 minutes for each drop. 45 for triples, 15 for a single trailer and for fueling your tractor. Seems to be one of the more generous policies out there.
Ours is 20 for a set , that’s down from 22 just recently. I guess we can get it down to 15 at some point.

We get 30 minutes for each hook and another 30 minutes for each drop. 45 for triples, 15 for a single trailer and for fueling your tractor. Seems to be one of the more generous policies out there.
So you are paid a flat rate them? Correct. I ask because if there is a line getting into the break center and it takes longer then 30mins to break you set you just get a flat 30mins. If there is a line at the fuel island you get a flat 15mins no mater how long it takes. Correct..

Ours is 20 for a set , that’s down from 22 just recently. I guess we can get it down to 15 at some point.

It tells you a lot about the focus on safety and doing things correctly that they demand everybody hook and drop a set in a certain and rather arbitrary timeframe. And when massive amounts of people can not get it done they don't raise the time, they just demand you take shortcuts to meet the time limit.

So you are paid a flat rate them? Correct. I ask because if there is a line getting into the break center and it takes longer then 30mins to break you set you just get a flat 30mins. If there is a line at the fuel island you get a flat 15mins no mater how long it takes. Correct..
Correct, but if it somehow takes longer I can just go on delay at my normal hourly rate. I’ve never heard of a line waiting to get into the hub, and I run out of the biggest one in the FedEx system.

I do sometimes have to line up for fuel, but never with more than 1 truck ahead of me, and most guys will jump out and fuel the second tank of the truck ahead to keep things moving.

Ok , thank you . I believe 30 minutes is a lot safer to do a proper pre trip and post trip . Getting a chance to look things over and double check things .
Funny enough, per FedEx Freight policy, that 30 minutes is only intended to cover the hooking or dropping, and not things like pre/post trips, placarding, running through the scale. Which is ironic since we are expected to be out the gate 30 minutes after receiving a dispatch. Still, I’ve never been denied delay pay for any of those things causing me to take longer than 30 minutes.

jceEesU.jpg

Saw this posted somewhere else, apparently it was staged on purpose in Fremont, IN. Is this XPO's way of advertising to the general public that they have a problem with dropped trailers?

It is a warning to the motoring public, XPO is cutting back on maintenance of the fifth wheels. Every time I jump on another drivers tractor, it is not unusual to hear the kingpin slapping away on the jaws.

It's an old school trick. You take an old empty Windex bottle put some diesel in it and use it to spray the locking jaws in the winter time. Now it's just easier to buy PB Blaster and keep it in you truck

Windex bottle? Next time your fueling, just douse the fifth wheel straight from the nozzle. Put your finger on the tip to get a little extra pressure on the stream.

With all the new guys working here. They should be raising the time allowed. Inexperienced and under trained noobs can't and won't function like seasoned drivers do. And there are so many senior guys that have quit. As well as, people just don't help people like they used to. They see no future here. And no point in helping someone that will never have an opportunity to return the favor.

Funny enough, per FedEx Freight policy, that 30 minutes is only intended to cover the hooking or dropping, and not things like pre/post trips, placarding, running through the scale. Which is ironic since we are expected to be out the gate 30 minutes after receiving a dispatch. Still, I’ve never been denied delay pay for any of those things causing me to take longer than 30 minutes.

Last time I was told to hurry my hooks was years ago. We were still Con-way. I was running line haul at the time. My response was to take exactly 40 minutes. Twice the allotted time to hook. Every time I hooked. The dispatcher kept telling me I needed to focus on getting faster. I would just write in a bunch of excuses and show 40 minutes. Every day. Had a light out, needed to scale, someone was hooking the trailer next to mine and blocking the yard, and I can't go against yard flow, of course. You know. Just every excuse ever used. Finally he asked me if I thought I would ever get any better at this. And I said. It's never going to get any better if you are paying attention and watching me. If I am being targeted I need to do every little thing by the books. No short cuts. If you want me to hook like it's my first day. That's exactly what you will get.

It tells you a lot about the focus on safety and doing things correctly that they demand everybody hook and drop a set in a certain and rather arbitrary timeframe. And when massive amounts of people can not get it done they don't raise the time, they just demand you take shortcuts to meet the time limit.

Safety is just a talking point. Not an actual expectation.