XPO | dropped trailers

Them hostlers have to impress the FOS and get that star card. It'll save there job one day. Lol ! Hey, that ought to be what management does next. Use star cards as vouchers for get out of jail free cards. One star card will erase an event.! Conway monopoly! Haha

Them hostlers have to impress the FOS and get that star card. It'll save there job one day. Lol ! Hey, that ought to be what management does next. Use star cards as vouchers for get out of jail free cards. One star card will erase an event.! Conway monopoly! Haha
It always has depended on who you are, just saying!:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::Rulz::hysterical:

Now if they could get those hostlers to do the speed limit.

They say running counterclockwise is for safety but yet still hostlers can do as they please in the yard, running like its a nascar track and they re trying to lap the pup they are dragging. Complain and they will "talk" to the hostlers but same crap the next night.
This is a major point !'!!!!!!!!!!'!!!!!!!!!!! I want to use their Con cam and show them just what these idiots drive like. Put both wagons away while watching 6 of them just sitting there watching you. Crusing 5 mph at a more than safe speed and bam. Right out in front of you , from 0 to 40 in 2 seconds. What a bunch of rejects. But if Conway managment can't see for them selfs. My lips are sealed. Like you say ( same crap the next night ) I think conway tells them- accidents aren't spotters fault. So they drive around with the attitude of a supervisor with a chip on their shoulder. Trailer moves per hour

Good idea ,when in the yard and you see what there doing just reach up there and hit the camera button. Caught on tape

Yup. Frame a trailer on yard and it's a full strike also. So why hit the brakes when it's on the frame? Gas on it and make it worth a strike

If I frame it and can get back under it nobody needs to know 'bout it. But if a grey shirt saw me do it, hell yeah mash on it and get your money's worth.

at the end of the day the whole point is safety. For three plus years the company has tried to reduce the number of dropped trailers through education (i.e. proper pre-trips and standard routines) and there has been little progress in reducing the number of incidents. Good cop didn't work so bad cop takes over... do it right the first time (inspecting your hitch) or be lazy and risk loosing your job. No prisoner mentality, no us vs them, no big bad corporate know-nothings making bad policy. Very simple, make the effort to do it right the first time or be given the opportunity to have your decisions and actions separate you from your employer.

at the end of the day the whole point is safety. For three plus years the company has tried to reduce the number of dropped trailers through education (i.e. proper pre-trips and standard routines) and there has been little progress in reducing the number of incidents. Good cop didn't work so bad cop takes over... do it right the first time (inspecting your hitch) or be lazy and risk loosing your job. No prisoner mentality, no us vs them, no big bad corporate know-nothings making bad policy. Very simple, make the effort to do it right the first time or be given the opportunity to have your decisions and actions separate you from your employer.

If the company's so called education program didnt reduce the number of drops, I would think it's an equipment problem. Maybe bad cop should rethink their equipment specs.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Equipment is not the problem!! The problem is when drivers break sets or drop trailers they crank the landing gear all the way to the ground and then depart. The next driver backs in to hook and does not even look out the window to check fifth wheel height.. I almost always have to get out and lower the trailer before hooking to avoid a high hook. These same guys that drop them too high and don't check the height are the same ones that don't get under and visually check to see if it is latched properly. They are also the ones that think dragging your kite 30 foot from the door while hooking ensures a good hook . When they drop a trailer after departing from a high hook they have no one to blame but them self. Check and double check.. We get paid by the hour. No one has ever denied to initial your pay sheet for going over 20 minute hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Equipment is not the problem!! The problem is when drivers break sets or drop trailers they crank the landing gear all the way to the ground and then depart. The next driver backs in to hook and does not even look out the window to check fifth wheel height.. I almost always have to get out and lower the trailer before hooking to avoid a high hook. These same guys that drop them too high and don't check the height are the same ones that don't get under and visually check to see if it is latched properly. They are also the ones that think dragging your kite 30 foot from the door while hooking ensures a good hook . When they drop a trailer after departing from a high hook they have no one to blame but them self. Check and double check.. We get paid by the hour. No one has never denied to initial your pay sheet for going over 20 minute hook.

I've had to get out and crank trailers down many times to avoid high hooks. :bouncy:

Equipment is not the problem!! The problem is when drivers break sets or drop trailers they crank the landing gear all the way to the ground and then depart. The next driver backs in to hook and does not even look out the window to check fifth wheel height.. I almost always have to get out and lower the trailer before hooking to avoid a high hook. These same guys that drop them too high and don't check the height are the same ones that don't get under and visually check to see if it is latched properly. They are also the ones that think dragging your kite 30 foot from the door while hooking ensures a good hook . When they drop a trailer after departing from a high hook they have no one to blame but them self. Check and double check.. We get paid by the hour. No one has ever denied to initial your pay sheet for going over 20 minute hook.

The variance of height of the drop trailers comes mostly from the variance of equipment. When dropping off of a con-gear you should have that two inches of gap from the ground. But the newer tractors with their air-rides typically drop a trailer lower, just touching the ground works. Backing a con-gear under a low trailer (dropped 2" off of a cascadia) on uneven pavement will often cause the trailer to slide left or right of center missing the valley of the plate with the kingpin. Because of these variances the visual inspection of the relationship of the apron and the fifth-wheel plate is critical before hooking. I think our years of tenure and abilities get some of the senior guys in trouble. They have the ability to back a con-gear under their kite without spotting the unit first. But you are backing blind in regards to evaluating the height of the trailer and fifth-wheel. This has high-hook written all over it.

I've had to get out and crank trailers down many times to avoid high hooks. :bouncy:

Just about every time in fact. Of course another problem might be the fact that some of Con-way's pups ride on 22.5 low pros and the older tractors still ride on 24.5 tall rubber... may not sound like a big difference, but if you drop a low pro trailer with a tall rubber tractor, then try to hook it with a low pro tractor there's going to be problems unless you get out and roll the legs down a bit. If my tractor or dolly (even now at OD) doesn't physically pick up the trailer I get out and crank the trailer down until I know that it will.

These things have a failure rate. They fire drivers, change fifth wheels and give training. The stats remain the same. What variables are left to alter ?

These things have a failure rate. They fire drivers, change fifth wheels and give training. The stats remain the same. What variables are left to alter ?

you're right, they have a failure rate, and that is why no matter what make or model fifth-wheel you have, do a good visual inspection of the coupling. pre-trip = c.y.a.

Just about every time in fact. Of course another problem might be the fact that some of Con-way's pups ride on 22.5 low pros and the older tractors still ride on 24.5 tall rubber... may not sound like a big difference, but if you drop a low pro trailer with a tall rubber tractor, then try to hook it with a low pro tractor there's going to be problems unless you get out and roll the legs down a bit. If my tractor or dolly (even now at OD) doesn't physically pick up the trailer I get out and crank the trailer down until I know that it will.

That's the one and only problem..and the managers don't realize it, because they know nothing about hooking trailers and such. song is right..the trailer has to slide onto and off the fifth wheel. That's the problem. people have gotten lazy dropping trailers. IMO.

If you frame a trailer and nobody sees it did it ever really happen?
Only if it hits hard enough to be a Drive CAM event…. I've dropped a trailer to the ground once (yes, i've done it) was sometime in 1999 or early 2000. The driver trainer at Swift (lol, yes Swift) told me to get out and drop the trailer. I unhooked the air lines, Pulled handle and released the jaws but completely forgot to roll down the landing gear. I dropped the trailer. Took a while in high gear to roll the trailer back up, glad it was empty. I've dropped a trailer to the frame also.

The newest trailers have the aerodynamic fins so you can't get under them to visually check the jaws unless you crawl on the ground.

Only if it hits hard enough to be a Drive CAM event…. I've dropped a trailer to the ground once (yes, i've done it) was sometime in 1999 or early 2000. The driver trainer at Swift (lol, yes Swift) told me to get out and drop the trailer. I unhooked the air lines, Pulled handle and released the jaws but completely forgot to roll down the landing gear. I dropped the trailer. Took a while in high gear to roll the trailer back up, glad it was empty. I've dropped a trailer to the frame also.

The newest trailers have the aerodynamic fins so you can't get under them to visually check the jaws unless you crawl on the ground.

Good point!

I don't work for Conway, but our Conestoga trailers have the skirts on them and the way I do it is tug test the trailer, pull ahead slowly, turn the truck hard left or right then get out and visually check the jaws.

If you have been doing this a while you should be able to look down the line of trailers and tell which ones are to high or to low. If I was in charge I would issue all drivers with a stick that would get drivers in the habit of dropping a trailer at a predetermined height. Every truck has a slightly different 5th wheel height but if you drop on the lower side then all trucks would have to pick up the trailer off the ground and saving a few back injuries trying to roll up a kinked landing gear.