XPO | Dropped trailers

joealblu

TB Lurker
Credits
Can someone tell me why CONWAY FREIGHT has so many dropped trailers you dont hear of fed ex, ups , yrc , only CONWAY I believe we have out dated dollies that are in excess of 20 years old any suggestions?????

Can someone tell me why CONWAY FREIGHT has so many dropped trailers you dont hear of fed ex, ups , yrc , only CONWAY I believe we have out dated dollies that are in excess of 20 years old any suggestions?????

Those other companies have them, they just don't make a big deal out of it like this company does..

When you drop out; let the trailer slide off the fifth wheel, then when you hook, make the sure the trailer lifts off the ground..then there is no problem. Conway mngt. is too concerned with SWI and know nothing about trucks... it's all common sense.

> I've noticed the re-furbs sit higher and people just don't realize it...i have to lower the trailer almost once a day to hook...

Well, One thing I think is guys are cranking landing gear all the to the ground, not leaving a couple inches for them to drop, at least 3 or 4 times a week I have get out and crank'em down just to avoid a high hook. Don't think the new guys know they need to dump the air, not sure..

Well, One thing I think is guys are cranking landing gear all the to the ground, not leaving a couple inches for them to drop, at least 3 or 4 times a week I have get out and crank'em down just to avoid a high hook. Don't think the new guys know they need to dump the air, not sure..

.....exactly......

new hires, and the president hates drivers. That's why they fire you now.

That and a million more reasons. Unlevel ground, asphalt- gravel- concrete transition in yard, city load returned to yard with 10000# in the nose causing the trailer bed and landing gear to flex, new tires on tractor dropping with bald tires on tractor hooking. Important thing is always check your hook after tug.

It's amazing how many guys I see that have been driving forever and still think it's ok to just crank the dang landing gear all the way down.

The Sterlings sit about an inch higher than the Freightliners, and the dollies sit even higher than the Sterlings. So unless you leave the dolly legs a couple inches off the ground when you drop a kite, the next guy down the line is going to have to roll it down before he hooks.

Anyone who's been driving a truck for more than a day should be able to grasp this concept...

I was doing a walkabout in western ND when a co-worker dropped a pup. Air line came crashing through the back window narrowly missing his head. I asked him if he had checked the fifth wheel..he said "well I tugged it and it seemed fine" :eek:

I was doing a walkabout in western ND when a co-worker dropped a pup. Air line came crashing through the back window narrowly missing his head. I asked him if he had checked the fifth wheel..he said "well I tugged it and it seemed fine" :eek:
yeah... A few of the kids out that way are not the crispest chips out of the bag....

Exactly. They were designed to fail just for conway. How do you think they came up with the drop trailer policy?

c36aa6221d5bfe47b66e083e823d0796bfeb24423ee3ee8915b43d04a1f3edfe.jpg

Those other companies have them, they just don't make a big deal out of it like this company does..

When you drop out; let the trailer slide off the fifth wheel, then when you hook, make the sure the trailer lifts off the ground..then there is no problem. Conway mngt. is too concerned with SWI and know nothing about trucks... it's all common sense.

> I've noticed the re-furbs sit higher and people just don't realize it...i have to lower the trailer almost once a day to hook...

We'll said Beer :cool:

I think a lot of newer drivers come from truck driving schools which is not a bad thing and I'm sure most schools are ok but not teaching things like proper hooking up and dropping or explaining the consequences that can occur when it's not properly done. It only takes a minute to check the hook.

I think a lot of newer drivers come from truck driving schools which is not a bad thing and I'm sure most schools are ok but not teaching things like proper hooking up and dropping or explaining the consequences that can occur when it's not properly done. It only takes a minute to check the hook.
i can vouch for that.... Got to US customs one day last week, Reimer (YRC) team had no idea how to split their set. After helping them, I had to ask.... Sure enough, they are not shown that because the hostler does it. Drop and hook only.

i can vouch for that.... Got to US customs one day last week, Reimer (YRC) team had no idea how to split their set. After helping them, I had to ask.... Sure enough, they are not shown that because the hostler does it. Drop and hook only.
You know... I had never pulled doubles before I came to Con-Way, but even when I hooked a set for the first time I was able to figure it out on my own. That's just pathetic.

I always appreciated guys with more experience saying do it this way and taking the time to teach me something, And as much as things change we still have a lot of that in our industry and
Among each other. Just my opinion.

Remember to use your flashlight to check your hook. It is part of the Standard Work Instructions (SWI)
Laugh if you want to but they will ask you if you did at the driver review board
Sometimes even dropped out properly it may be to high because of the difference in equipment
A low dropped trailer can be just as bad when it slides an misses the pin!!
Do Not trust the equipment. I do every check in 3's just an old school habit