XPO | Dropped trailers

Never thought of that..thanks, will do that now.

We have that snow/ice problem maybe once a season..well, the guys going to Tulsa probably have the problem a few times a year..I hate snow and ice...give me 105 degrees anyday..

Yes ill take heat over snow and ice anyday

I would like to see new dollys or at least new fifth wheels not reman either but new!! And I would also like to see numbers of other ltl companies dropped trailers
i was told that they stopped rebuilding fifth wheels. Company won't confirm, but I heard a reman fifth wheel caused an accident that caused a fatality.

Never dropped a trailer. Always give it a good tug, then get out and check. Jacknifing to make it easier is a good idea too, especially with the SmartWay approved trailers :rolleyes:

"Never dropped a trailer" - YET
I use the same tractor and dolly every day, driver. I own my rig and I've held on to this dolly for a year and a half. I regularly check the fifth wheels on both and have adjustments and repairs made as needed.

Only way I'm dropping a trailer is if the pin snaps off. I like my job (if you exclude the politics) and I plan to keep it. Some of FedEx's older trailers have sloppy pins, and the dollies (especially the ex-Watkins red Silver Eagles) can have difficult fifth wheels. A trailer drop can happen, but you should still be diligent and check your locks.

If it's dropped properly, the most you should have to do is dump the airbags. Unless, for some asinine reason, your tractors don't have a suspension dump switch/valve.
our guys have issues with dropping trailers properly. Having tractors with significant height differences and outside carriers make it impossible to get consistency

our guys have issues with dropping trailers properly. Having tractors with significant height differences and outside carriers make it impossible to get consistency
It's very much the same here, if not worse due to different equipment with different specs from different carriers.

Different makes of tractor. Twin screws and single drives. A huge variety of dollies of varying vintage with varying fifth wheel heights. Trailers with different landing gear positions.

The worst offenders are hostlers, who low and (especially) high drop trailers all the time. Nothing like watching a hostler drop a pogo stick trailer by leaving the fifth wheel raised, extending the landing gear and then putting it down before pulling away and dropping the stick...about a foot off the ground. :rolleyes:

It's very much the same here, if not worse due to different equipment with different specs from different carriers. Different makes of tractor. Twin screws and single drives. A huge variety of dollies of varying vintage with varying fifth wheel heights. Trailers with different landing gear positions. The worst offenders are hostlers, who low and (especially) high drop trailers all the time. Nothing like watching a hostler drop a pogo stick trailer by leaving the fifth wheel raised, extending the landing gear and then putting it down before pulling away and dropping the stick...about a foot off the ground. :rolleyes:
different coloured uniforms and tractors, same damn problems!!!!!

I use the same tractor and dolly every day, driver. I own my rig and I've held on to this dolly for a year and a half. I regularly check the fifth wheels on both and have adjustments and repairs made as needed. Only way I'm dropping a trailer is if the pin snaps off. I like my job (if you exclude the politics) and I plan to keep it. Some of FedEx's older trailers have sloppy pins, and the dollies (especially the ex-Watkins red Silver Eagles) can have difficult fifth wheels. A trailer drop can happen, but you should still be diligent and check your locks.
Sorry, didn't mean to insult you.

I would like to see new dollys or at least new fifth wheels not reman either but new!! And I would also like to see numbers of other ltl companies dropped trailers

dropped trailers on the yard is not an issue..nobody is going to keep up with that ****..only this company.. happens all the time..if there is no damage, then there should be no report/no big deal...

I use the same tractor and dolly every day, driver. I own my rig and I've held on to this dolly for a year and a half. I regularly check the fifth wheels on both and have adjustments and repairs made as needed.

Only way I'm dropping a trailer is if the pin snaps off. I like my job (if you exclude the politics) and I plan to keep it. Some of FedEx's older trailers have sloppy pins, and the dollies (especially the ex-Watkins red Silver Eagles) can have difficult fifth wheels. A trailer drop can happen, but you should still be diligent and check your locks.
So you never have a passing 'hooked set'? I assume you drive for Ground..I guess you always take the trailers to the final destination..one would assume. :eck13:

i was told that they stopped rebuilding fifth wheels. Company won't confirm, but I heard a reman fifth wheel caused an accident that caused a fatality.
They are not going to talk about any fatality..that's for sure.

I don't like those new fifth wheels..they just look odd.

So you never have a passing 'hooked set'? I assume you drive for Ground..I guess you always take the trailers to the final destination..one would assume. :eck13:
FedEx Freight Canada. My bid run is Toronto to Toledo and back. I'm fortunate enough to not do switches, so I can keep my dolly if nobody takes it. Since its got a landing gear, nobody touches it.

Not everyone is so fortunate.

FedEx Freight Canada. My bid run is Toronto to Toledo and back. I'm fortunate enough to not do switches, so I can keep my dolly if nobody takes it. Since its got a landing gear, nobody touches it.

Not everyone is so fortunate.
......got you now..be safe out there..

Beer I do that now backing up to trailers didn't get coached but they thought it was funny. I was in one of those great automatics

The sad part of dropped trailers at our SC is after every one that occurs with a dolly the shop will take no blame. They always seem to change that junk fifth wheel after the driver gets burned by it though.

I think a lot of the problem with the fifth wheels is lack of maintenance. Last winter I was having a hard time hooking. When my tractor came back from PM it worked like a charm. Back under a trailer now and you can hear that loud snap on sound.