XPO | Dropped trailers

I drive a '13. Every day I have to roll the gear up to make sure I don't high hook. I saw one guy back partway underneath, raise the gear completely, hook his lines, back, tug, and go. I don't know if I want to enter that into my routine (saves a little bit of time), but he's got a million miles so he's doing OK.

Whatever routine you use to hook, do it the same way, every day. Don't let anyone try to change you. Had a safety mgr watching me hook, yard observations or something idiotic like that, kept interrupting me.. Told him to go away, he's getting me out of routine. " your not doing it the right way..." Looked at him, " how many years behind the wheel for you?" " none." Huh. " now, go away and don't ever interrupt a driver when he hooks or breaks. You are the cause of mistakes happening." He won't even say hi to me now when he visits... I'm heartbroken!
That was my biggest beef with Con-Job. All these college educated idiots thinking they are going to tell the truck drivers something about how they should do their jobs

Yeah, ok... Until you get over a decade behind the wheel instead of behind a desk, I don't wanna hear it.

That was my biggest beef with Con-Job. All these college educated idiots thinking they are going to tell the truck drivers something about how they should do their jobs

Yeah, ok... Until you get over a decade behind the wheel instead of behind a desk, I don't wanna hear it.

Most of you guys are right on.The fifth wheels are worn out and the jost fifth wheels suck. Sometimes I think they hate drivers. The other companies don't get fired for dropping trailers. I see drivers taking pictures of there hooked fifth wheel just to cover there butt. Wait till the snow in ice packs in there and you do all the right things and it still drops when you turn. I also see guys don't say nothing cause it don't set camera off. I worry every day if I am going to have a job I feel like a number not a person.

b2f6f78f34951f52f3341bd0693e3818.jpg

Had the same thing happen to another driver lime up north described. Its amazing that these so called safety guys have a job. Tell me where is the manual that they read how to hook is plz. I think I need to read it. Why haven't we all had a copy. I feel so dumb. Lol

Most of you guys are right on.The fifth wheels are worn out and the jost fifth wheels suck. Sometimes I think they hate drivers. The other companies don't get fired for dropping trailers. I see drivers taking pictures of there hooked fifth wheel just to cover there butt. Wait till the snow in ice packs in there and you do all the right things and it still drops when you turn. I also see guys don't say nothing cause it don't set camera off. I worry every day if I am going to have a job I feel like a number not a person.

Because that's what you are!!! Silly!!!

Whatever routine you use to hook, do it the same way, every day. Don't let anyone try to change you. Had a safety mgr watching me hook, yard observations or something idiotic like that, kept interrupting me.. Told him to go away, he's getting me out of routine. " your not doing it the right way..." Looked at him, " how many years behind the wheel for you?" " none." Huh. " now, go away and don't ever interrupt a driver when he hooks or breaks. You are the cause of mistakes happening." He won't even say hi to me now when he visits... I'm heartbroken!

How tall was he?

I drive a '13. Every day I have to roll the gear up to make sure I don't high hook. I saw one guy back partway underneath, raise the gear completely, hook his lines, back, tug, and go. I don't know if I want to enter that into my routine (saves a little bit of time), but he's got a million miles so he's doing OK.
That's actually a regulation DOT hookup. That's how you're technically supposed to do it. Of course, a DOT hookup has been irrelevant since the late 1970's when some genius realized giving a trailer spring brakes might be an intelligent idea.

The reason for the DOT hook used to be to acertain that the trailer air tank is full. This would allow you to set the trailer brakes in order to complete the hook.

Prior to 1979, trailers didn't require spring brakes. So they operated like the dollies do. Hooking a set back in those days would've required a lot more work.

It's unbelievable how many people will do this. The last time it happened to me, I stopped cold and started from scratch. When he asked what I was doing, I reset again and politely told the guy to either stop telling me how to do my job or to do it for me if he's so good at it. Never heard another word.