XPO | Dropping trailer to low and setting off camera.

Gear Head

TB Lurker
Credits
Depending on who you ask these days, most drivers have a different point of view when it comes to co.policy and their rules. Case in point dropped trailers. The policy has changed to tires and frames. Who knew? I sure as heck didn't till today. I asked 4 other drivers whom all had differing understanding of the rules. One of my buddies last week was parking his kite between 2 trailers,the landing gear wasn't all the way down to the ground,he left a larger gap than he thought. His lines and power cord were dis -connected and he proceeded to let the air out of his bags and pull away. While looking back before he took off the trailer came down on his tires. He stopped befoe it hit the ground, he set his breaks,cranked up the dollys and made sure that even though it never made it to the ground and there was no damage. So when he got back in the tractor he noticed the camera light was red. So now he called me panicking tonight. He called line haul and annomously asked about the policy and said it was a" crash". WTH? Nothing crashed!! So he's now freaked about not saying anything due to his ignorance of the policy and the film coming back to whom ever views them at the independent viewers and then Conway.IMO he did the right thing and re acted before it hit the ground. If this is policy,I think its wrong.

I would recommend to your friend that he make management aware of the situation asap unless he wants to roll the dice with his job... I am a drivecam coach and you can see and hear quite a bit in the video footages.

They are going insane with the dropped trailer thing, because people have been dropping them left and right. But it's Con-Way's own fault because they got lax in their hiring standards.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

So the trailer comin down on the tires set that thing off? That is crazy sensitive.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I know of one personaly, that was ruled a dropped trailer, but overturned due to equipment failure.

These dollies get banged around more than a p*on star, so the probability of equipment failure should rise.

I know of one personaly, that was ruled a dropped trailer, but overturned due to equipment failure.

These dollies get banged around more than a p*on star, so the probability of equipment failure should rise.

The ONLY trailer I've ever dropped in my 5 year history with Con-Way was because of a faulty fifth wheel on a dolly. It was ruled non-preventable and I got no points.

All you guys have cameras on your cell phones.....take pictures of locked fifth wheels. Not much of an argument to go with that.

Depending on who you ask these days, most drivers have a different point of view when it comes to co.policy and their rules. Case in point dropped trailers. The policy has changed to tires and frames. Who knew? I sure as heck didn't till today. I asked 4 other drivers whom all had differing understanding of the rules. One of my buddies last week was parking his kite between 2 trailers,the landing gear wasn't all the way down to the ground,he left a larger gap than he thought. His lines and power cord were dis -connected and he proceeded to let the air out of his bags and pull away. While looking back before he took off the trailer came down on his tires. He stopped befoe it hit the ground, he set his breaks,cranked up the dollys and made sure that even though it never made it to the ground and there was no damage. So when he got back in the tractor he noticed the camera light was red. So now he called me panicking tonight. He called line haul and annomously asked about the policy and said it was a" crash". WTH? Nothing crashed!! So he's now freaked about not saying anything due to his ignorance of the policy and the film coming back to whom ever views them at the independent viewers and then Conway.IMO he did the right thing and re acted before it hit the ground. If this is policy,I think its wrong.
It's considered a dropped trailer if it hits the frame. It must leave the fifth wheel completely. However... Your friend dollies down the legs, just left them a little high. No need to report it, he didn't drop it, IMO. If he gets called in for the B.S. Coaching session, he simply left the legs high, that's all. I set that thing off 20 times a night, never been called up once. Would walk out if they did! Just because it records it, doesn't mean they consider it a crash.

It's considered a dropped trailer if it hits the frame. It must leave the fifth wheel completely. However... Your friend dollies down the legs, just left them a little high. No need to report it, he didn't drop it, IMO. If he gets called in for the B.S. Coaching session, he simply left the legs high, that's all. I set that thing off 20 times a night, never been called up once. Would walk out if they did! Just because it records it, doesn't mean they consider it a crash.

I LIKE your way of thinking!!! He's a great guy who would honestly give you the last dollar he had in his wallet if you were in need at the vending machine. Scary part is not knowing for him how far back the camera sees. I talked to him earlier this afternoon after church and he feels compeled to go into his SCM and go over what happened. He's been riddled with guilt(not knowing and or understanding the policy) and feels compeled to do so. I have advised him that if he truly feels that way then he should just do it,but realize the can of worms he is opening. Reporting it 2days after the fact,which may or may not matter. If you had hard breaked,that may have been the reason the red light came on. Do we report every cut and bruise that we get doing this job? That would be considered a incident and the paperwork afterwards is a joke. We all just move on and continue with our day. Same goes with the trailer/tractor, a near miss,no damage to either tractor/trailer. Chalk it up as a close call,learn from it and move on. I can guarantee he won't make that mistake again.

The camera keeps the 8 seconds before it was triggered and 4 seconds after. It's not a dropped trailer if he cranked the legs down and intended to uncouple from it.

I would keep my mouth shut they will fire him period Reporting two days later when we all know we should and are suppose to do immediately is grounds for dismissal ! that's all they will look at now !

I LIKE your way of thinking!!! He's a great guy who would honestly give you the last dollar he had in his wallet if you were in need at the vending machine. Scary part is not knowing for him how far back the camera sees. I talked to him earlier this afternoon after church and he feels compeled to go into his SCM and go over what happened. He's been riddled with guilt(not knowing and or understanding the policy) and feels compeled to do so. I have advised him that if he truly feels that way then he should just do it,but realize the can of worms he is opening. Reporting it 2days after the fact,which may or may not matter. If you had hard breaked,that may have been the reason the red light came on. Do we report every cut and bruise that we get doing this job? That would be considered a incident and the paperwork afterwards is a joke. We all just move on and continue with our day. Same goes with the trailer/tractor, a near miss,no damage to either tractor/trailer. Chalk it up as a close call,learn from it and move on. I can guarantee he won't make that mistake again.

I would keep my mouth shut they will fire him period Reporting two days later when we all know we should and are suppose to do immediately is grounds for dismissal ! that's all they will look at now !

Yeah, tell him to keep his mouth shut. Like I said before, if he was intending to uncouple the trailer, it's not a dropped trailer and does not need to be reported. If they try to coach him for the video, there is no way they can prove that he dropped a trailer.

I'm confused. Why is he riddled with guilt? The legs were dollied down, lines off right? Unless he's not telling you the whole truth and is worried about getting caught?

So you think he should wait it out,and not say anything? PistonRing83 I think nailed it by saying the gear was down,just not enuf and intended to uncouple. I didn't even realize the policy.

Technically there was no accident to report. If they call him in for coaching, all he tells them is he just didn't let the legs down far enough. They can't prove that he dropped a trailer.

I'm confused. Why is he riddled with guilt? The legs were dollied down, lines off right? Unless he's not telling you the whole truth and is worried about getting caught?

UPNORTH He is a worry wort who plays by the rules and has a young family. He truly is one of the nicest guys I know.

UPNORTH He is a worry wort who plays by the rules and has a young family. He truly is one of the nicest guys I know.

this is exactly what con-way wants. to live in fear of your job every single day. He will be fine I'm sure, but there is life after con-way. It's only a job

He did nothing wrong. CC is right. Dsr's have to start growing some hair between their legs and a backbone. If you did nothing wrong, don't worry.

I remember seeing or hearing something along the lines of, if the trailer contacts the frame or the tires, it is considered a dropped trailer.
I don't agree, but I think that's the policy.
Too late now, I imagine, but he needed to report it immediately and let the chips fall where they may.
Worst case, he would've gotten a point because it was in our yard. Now he's in a position of not reporting an accident. It's the coverup that gets you.
Just curious on a side note. Did he forget to drop the gear all the way down after moving it around the yard, or his he one of the "I've cranked enough, it's close enough" guys that seem to run out of steam before the legs are on the ground?

I don't think he is the cover up type, nor is it point thing. He's got a clean record. More along the lines of ignorance. I don't remember the policy changing. There is so much they cram down our throats,it truely is hard to remember everything. My guess is he thought it was down enough.