XPO | Dumb and Dumber!!!

Rat

TB Veteran
Credits
We had at least five LHers come in this morning actually numb from the knees down driving this regurgitated junk from 15 years ago. One of our guys was so numb he almost couldn't walk. Longest runs get the oldest junk.

Is this company and the head honchos so out of touch with reality that they are willing to risk the health and safety of their employees? Not to mention the danger to the general public. IB LHs are late because the drivers are frequently stopping to warm up as best they can.

I would love to know who the moron is that came up with the idea of bringing old dead tractors back into service. They need to re-evaluate their career choice and get the hell out of trucking!!!

Jesus!!!...are these people ever stupid!!!!!:Flame-On:

The core values of safety and commitment have officially died!!!!:Die:

as I posted on another thread... ya think next time they will wait until March to fence the new trucks?

My question is:
Why in the world would a driver drive something that does not have adequate heat?
Is Con-way management forcing you to drive a tractor that way?
Something like this might have to go past the G.O level.
This is a safety concern that might cause an accident if the driver decides to push himself and get back.

I've red tagged tractors because of heat issues in the winter. Common sense prevails.

heat

exactly, if the unit does not have adequate heat than it should be sidelined,no one i mean no one should dispute this. while we are on this they should have a way to override that 5 min. idle. we had a driver that got caught up on the side of the road and almost had to spend the night in the truck. got to be a way in an emergency situation.

exactly, if the unit does not have adequate heat than it should be sidelined,no one i mean no one should dispute this. while we are on this they should have a way to override that 5 min. idle. we had a driver that got caught up on the side of the road and almost had to spend the night in the truck. got to be a way in an emergency situation.
Couldn't have said it better myself! Good points!

My question is:
Why in the world would a driver drive something that does not have adequate heat?
Is Con-way management forcing you to drive a tractor that way?
Something like this might have to go past the G.O level.
This is a safety concern that might cause an accident if the driver decides to push himself and get back.

I've red tagged tractors because of heat issues in the winter. Common sense prevails.

Its not a question of no heat. These pieces of junk leak outside air so bad the heaters can't keep up. The doors are rusted, door seals are missing, the seals around the firewall are either missing or rotted, the heater cores are either bad or plugged and the air handling hoses are probably rotted as well.

These tractors were taken out of service for a reason. It amazes me that a company like CW which is supposedly a leader in the industry is taking these kinds of counter-productive measures. When these units were parked to the fence whatever was wrong with them was obviously not repaired as they were going to be disposed of.

Even more amazing is complete lack of foresight with this decision. Its one thing to put road quality used equipment on the road, it is another thing altogether just to change fluids replace rubber and then tell the drivers to use them and continue to maintain the status quo.

The ignorance of this and the season of the year they decided to do this is just stunning. One of two things are in play here (perhaps both). First, who ever decided to implement this plan is so out of touch with what is happening on the street that this person is obviously in way over the head and not qualified to hold their position.

Secondly, this may be a decsion based on good ole greed. Money and more money just for the sake of more money. If this is genuinely a cost saving measure then every company would be doing the same thing. In case you haven't noticed...we seem to be the only company pursuing this nonsense as far as I can tell.

And to further bust the bubble this measure is not (as it touted) a proactive initiative. It is blatantly reactive plain and simple.

We are missing a grand opportunity here. We as a company should have agressively pursued the business and could have gained freight volume from other carriers who are actually in dire straits. We are not doing this!

The ISWM joke and other laffable initiatives are gaining us nothing (anybody remember the beanies with the umbrellas?)
When was last time you actually had a tool in your hand that was a viable and productive part of your arsenal.

We are losing ground at am astounding rate. It is not too late to turn it around but we definitely need a change of leadersip. Someone with a vision of grandeur and the ability to pull it off.

Think JD:bowdown:

Rat

Its not a question of no heat. These pieces of junk leak outside air so bad the heaters can't keep up. The doors are rusted, door seals are missing, the seals around the firewall are either missing or rotted, the heater cores are either bad or plugged and the air handling hoses are probably rotted as well.

These tractors were taken out of service for a reason. It amazes me that a company like CW which is supposedly a leader in the industry is taking these kinds of counter-productive measures. When these units were parked to the fence whatever was wrong with them was obviously not repaired as they were going to be disposed of.

Even more amazing is complete lack of foresight with this decision. Its one thing to put road quality used equipment on the road, it is another thing altogether just to change fluids replace rubber and then tell the drivers to use them and continue to maintain the status quo.

The ignorance of this and the season of the year they decided to do this is just stunning. One of two things are in play here (perhaps both). First, who ever decided to implement this plan is so out of touch with what is happening on the street that this person is obviously in way over the head and not qualified to hold their position.

Secondly, this may be a decsion based on good ole greed. Money and more money just for the sake of more money. If this is genuinely a cost saving measure then every company would be doing the same thing. In case you haven't noticed...we seem to be the only company pursuing this nonsense as far as I can tell.

And to further bust the bubble this measure is not (as it touted) a proactive initiative. It is blatantly reactive plain and simple.

We are missing a grand opportunity here. We as a company should have agressively pursued the business and could have gained freight volume from other carriers who are actually in dire straits. We are not doing this!

The ISWM joke and other laffable initiatives are gaining us nothing (anybody remember the beanies with the umbrellas?)
When was last time you actually had a tool in your hand that was a viable and productive part of your arsenal.

We are losing ground at am astounding rate. It is not too late to turn it around but we definitely need a change of leadersip. Someone with a vision of grandeur and the ability to pull it off.

Rat

And just what actions are the employees/stock-
holders taking regarding this or any of the
prececeeding enhancements or inovations inacted by CNW ?

Just4Thought

Rat

I have to fully agree. I might be the only one who see's it this way.....The demise of CNW started when they re-hired that worthless pile of dung D. M.:nutkick:

Rat
Greed and arrogance are going to destroy this company. It's gonna get milked for all it's worth and when it goes tits up they will just move on to something else. Sadly executive management are not the only ones guilty of this.

I feel your pain and see where your coming from. I see your points
Was the cold air leaks documented on the 8300 form?
Did the mechanics fix it, seal it, duct tape it, temporarily put it out of service etc?
I was victim to a piece of junk that was put back in service, I was the first one to drive it in the cold. I froze my gonads off. I reported it and it was taken out of service for cold weather use.

My angle is, are drivers reporting this cold weather issue? What is management doing about it and are they still forcing them to drive the unit that way.
What happens if a driver refuses to take the unit out because of these issues?
If no one complains about specific units, than they don't see the pattern.

Rat
I can't believe a company like ours is so stupid and greedy. Instead investing our profits into new tractors, we are investing that money in maintaining these old pieces of junk. WHY??? Safety first out the door followed closely by integerty. I don't know where we ranked in profits compared to other ltl companies. But we should be putting money into attracting more freight. New trucks, I am sure we need new trucks this year. We still ahve some good trucks. I just wish these people at CGO would invest just a tad bit better. A angry stock holder.:flame:

I can't believe a company like ours is so stupid and greedy. Instead investing our profits into new tractors, we are investing that money in maintaining these old pieces of junk. WHY??? Safety first out the door followed closely by integerty. I don't know where we ranked in profits compared to other ltl companies. But we should be putting money into attracting more freight. New trucks, I am sure we need new trucks this year. We still ahve some good trucks. I just wish these people at CGO would invest just a tad bit better. A angry stock holder.:flame:

Its like I said B4...

Con-Way has went from being proactive to being reactive.

Our corporate leaders are out of touch with the goings on in the 'street'. These antiquated corporate policies won't work in this economy!

Instead of having an agressive plan that incorporates each and every member of this organization and utilizes their respective talents we are dictating useless and self defeating policies that are not going to gain us a dime.

I would much rather see us have an aggressive no holds barred plan and then actually work said plan instead of this 'hide under the desk and see what the market does next mentality.'

The days of "you don't see the big picture" have to come to a close if CNW is going to survive. Con-Way needs to be unwaveringly aggressive. This will guarantee our survival. Stop with the employee mentality and get back to the team mentality.

If you to be a leader then damn it by all means lead!

If we fly that is great or if we die at least we went down being the best we could be!

Rat:popcorn:

Its like I said B4...

Con-Way has went from being proactive to being reactive.

Our corporate leaders are out of touch with the goings on in the 'street'. These antiquated corporate policies won't work in this economy!

Instead of having an agressive plan that incorporates each and every member of this organization and utilizes their respective talents we are dictating useless and self defeating policies that are not going to gain us a dime.

I would much rather see us have an aggressive no holds barred plan and then actually work said plan instead of this 'hide under the desk and see what the market does next mentality.'

The days of "you don't see the big picture" have to come to a close if CNW is going to survive. Con-Way needs to be unwaveringly aggressive. This will guarantee our survival. Stop with the employee mentality and get back to the team mentality.

If you to be a leader then damn it by all means lead!

If we fly that is great or if we die at least we went down being the best we could be!

Rat:popcorn:

ConWay and the Government are the same. So out of touch it's unbelievable. I can't understand why we (XLF) won't make 1 run a night to XHG. I know we are losing frieght because of this. Also, our "N" freight would have a better service time as well. At least make a half a$$ed effert to at least look like you care.

no heat is a d.o.t. requirment, the company can not force you to drive it without! period! bty i saw 7 cfi trucks gelled up too, so much for ontime

no heat is a d.o.t. requirment, the company can not force you to drive it without! period! bty i saw 7 cfi trucks gelled up too, so much for ontime

The requirement is a working defroster I do not remember seeing a requirement for heat although that would seem to be implied with the working defroster.

Rat :smilie_132:

I would love to see how much money this place has spent per truck to get these things "road worthy". Figure in parts, man hours, and registration and that is just the start up costs. Next, figure in the amount of money that has been spent, and will be spent on extra road service calls. Finally, consider the amount of lost productivity, late freight, and costs associated with picking up drivers due to running out of time. When all of this is added up, can this really be a cost saving measure?? This place is unreal.

I would love to see how much money this place has spent per truck to get these things "road worthy". Figure in parts, man hours, and registration and that is just the start up costs. Next, figure in the amount of money that has been spent, and will be spent on extra road service calls. Finally, consider the amount of lost productivity, late freight, and costs associated with picking up drivers due to running out of time. When all of this is added up, can this really be a cost saving measure?? This place is unreal.

See here we all go again. You just don't see the big picture. But then again it is behind the open door we have have that is pad-locked so tight, it makes Fort Knox look like a piggy bank.

On the subject of our open door policy, why is everything kept so damn secret? Just wondering. maybe BoxB can put some insight into this. BoxB, when and why did the door get pad locked shut?