FedEx Freight | Electric trucks

Diggger86

TB Lurker
Credits
Had a meeting the other day and they are testing out electric trucks at the Milwaukee location. They got one twin screw KW and a straight truck to test out. I’m glad they are being tested in a northern location vs a warm climate to see how the charge holds up. I guess electric hostlers are next. Any other locations using electric trucks? Looking forward to hearing feedback on these. I’m not aware of any other LTL using battery trucks. The frame is longer than a typical twin screw because they are built on a sleeper chassis to accommodate the batteries.

It's publicity for Fx. Nothing more. Ev in passanger vehicles is rearing it's head as a loser. Until a new battery tech ks developed, Ev in its current form ks dead, dispite what the green fools say.

It will likely not be anything more than a footnote in your career as a driver.

One or two here and there might be able to work.

You start replacing whole fleets and you'll out strip the supply of electricity. Some of that load can be picked up by the emergency generators but I doubt they could handle the demand even if you had outside power with it.

A feasible long term solution to the made up problem would be what Edison is doing with hybrid diesel electrics. Especially since the generators ain't held to the same standard the trucks are (as far as I know, they're not required to have DEF ect)

EU has learned to put out EV Fires.

Bring a tanker truck with at least 6000 US Gallons. And a rotator. Lift burning vehicle into tanker truck box.

Drop off some place and leave it alone for the two weeks it will take to have that type of fire burn out and then cool down permanently.

Since we are not Europe, but Americans, we can dig a pit 15 deep, 96 inches (102's cost beyond whats allowed...) wide and 30 foot long. When you have a burning semi EV, just drive into pit and swim out. Leave it there for a month. When its all out, gravel it. Dig another pit for the next burning EV.

Ohhhh I did ask who’s gonna work on them. Blank stare lol.
WAIT !

I got the answer.....

Nobody from our shops but the vendor.
(When they get to it in 6 months.) It's the
last thing I'd want to get stuck with. :hysterical:
I'd rather slam my own nuts in a rusty
tractor door before getting stuck with a
Magical Raj Eco Truck...

Wonder how big of a fire extinguisher they'll have to carry.
The ones I have seen have 2 fire prevention systems. 1, there is sprinkler piping installed throughout the tractor, inside and out, hooked to an 800 gallon water tank under the hood.
The other system is a foaming product specifically designed to control any battery fire by having air bag type equipment surrounding the battery area, and will self disperse if any smoke, or flames are detected by the tech platform that is controlled by one of the 26 sensors, that surround the power pack. The driver can also manually engage the system if needed, by safely stopping, and type in a code to his handheld, which will send the message to a dispatcher who will then authorize said driver to enter the code, activating the system.

It's publicity for Fx. Nothing more. Ev in passanger vehicles is rearing it's head as a loser. Until a new battery tech ks developed, Ev in its current form ks dead, dispite what the green fools say.

It will likely not be anything more than a footnote in your career as a driver.
The current battery technology is limited to short travel with easy access to a charger.
What will an EV be worth after the batteries warranty is at it near end? Virtually nothing, since a new battery cost 20k for your average EV car .

The ones I have seen have 2 fire prevention systems. 1, there is sprinkler piping installed throughout the tractor, inside and out, hooked to an 800 gallon water tank under the hood.
The other system is a foaming product specifically designed to control any battery fire by having air bag type equipment surrounding the battery area, and will self disperse if any smoke, or flames are detected by the tech platform that is controlled by one of the 26 sensors, that surround the power pack. The driver can also manually engage the system if needed, by safely stopping, and type in a code to his handheld, which will send the message to a dispatcher who will then authorize said driver to enter the code, activating the system.

It's good they're keeping it simple.