XPO | Engagement Part 2: Careers and Culture

Merdock

Kool-aid-aholic
Credits
Ok, now that we're all on about the same page, let's go two steps forward.

An important part of evaluating engagement involves questions on careers and growth and development. But what does a DSR really believe a Con-Way career is? Does management's definition of career different from yours? Is management holding onto an outdated belief of what our careers as drivers should be? Promotions as a career path? Where does a DSR advance to? Some research suggests that career means growth and development. What within Con-Way supports an employee's growth and development? To engage you as an employee, what should the company offer as an accurate career definition going forward?

Culture is defined as the sum of an organization's behaviors and practices. Basically "how we do things around here". This is like a family tree, starting at the corporate level and branching out (down) to include every location within the company. Our company presents it's culture as an umbrella covering all aspects of our core values. But culture is really a bucket sitting beneath us catching everything that falls out of our daily practices. Why is there such a cultural difference between different regions of our company? Camp Coldwater, LDA, XMD, why have the cultures of these locations been allowed to create such disengaged employee? How did the culture of Sammy compare to post-Sammy culture in Mentor, Ohio? What is or what should be our "True North" when identifying a corporate culture? Are there any positive behaviors and practices shared by all employees of this company establishing a corporate culture?

An effort to provide honest responses in next week's survey may help answer these questions for our company.

Ok, now that we're all on about the same page, let's go two steps forward.

An important part of evaluating engagement involves questions on careers and growth and development. But what does a DSR really believe a Con-Way career is? Does management's definition of career different from yours? Is management holding onto an outdated belief of what our careers as drivers should be? Promotions as a career path? Where does a DSR advance to? Some research suggests that career means growth and development. What within Con-Way supports an employee's growth and development? To engage you as an employee, what should the company offer as an accurate career definition going forward?

Culture is defined as the sum of an organization's behaviors and practices. Basically "how we do things around here". This is like a family tree, starting at the corporate level and branching out (down) to include every location within the company. Our company presents it's culture as an umbrella covering all aspects of our core values. But culture is really a bucket sitting beneath us catching everything that falls out of our daily practices. Why is there such a cultural difference between different regions of our company? Camp Coldwater, LDA, XMD, why have the cultures of these locations been allowed to create such disengaged employee? How did the culture of Sammy compare to post-Sammy culture in Mentor, Ohio? What is or what should be our "True North" when identifying a corporate culture? Are there any positive behaviors and practices shared by all employees of this company establishing a corporate culture?

An effort to provide honest responses in next week's survey may help answer these questions for our company.

I couldn't agree more...I am thinking that the survey next week is going to be more impactful than some folks realize..

I think some people are grasping at straws the surveys in past years never changed things why do think these will be any diffrent .

I think some people are grasping at straws the surveys in past years never changed things why do think these will be any diffrent .
I was thinking the same thing, and it's very true, the old survey's were a joke, but more people are pissed now and if they don't fill out the survey their voices won't be heard and the Blue Hair Group we call Board of Directors will think all is well. I hope that everyone that is pissed fills out these survey's. It "might" not do any good but if you don't fill out a survey it "won't" do any good.

Yum-yum, More Kool-aid please!!

I couldn't agree more...I am thinking that the survey next week is going to be more impactful than some folks realize..

Yes, it will impact the impression that some have of our our leadership, and to that end they will be successful.

- a few people of a time.

I hope there is room for personal comments, that being said I am looking VERY FORWARD to taking part in next weeks survey.....ironic this is happening during the same week as 'Keep The Dream Alive'. I know I'll be giving the lowest marks ever and hope that corporate truly listens and CHANGES things for the better for us or 'The Dream' could get on 'life support' and I DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN!! I want Con-Way to be a GREAT PLACE TO WORK and BE TRULY SUCCESSFUL!!

The answers will be different...

I hope there is room for personal comments, that being said I am looking VERY FORWARD to taking part in next weeks survey.....ironic this is happening during the same week as 'Keep The Dream Alive'. I know I'll be giving the lowest marks ever and hope that corporate truly listens and CHANGES things for the better for us or 'The Dream' could get on 'life support' and I DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN!! I want Con-Way to be a GREAT PLACE TO WORK and BE TRULY SUCCESSFUL!!

There is no irony to it...it was planned that way.

Get everyone all warm and fuzzy and then fill out a survey.

A little too obvious to be coincidental!

Rat :shift:

You have a point of this being planned (dream and survey) but at our barn it won't work...many people are pissed at how MORALE CONTINUES TO GO DOWNHILL and thinking no one cares about it!! Don't think we'll have many 'surveys to make mgmt think 'all is well'. I would seriously hope this isn't just another exercise in futility with EFCA on the way (which I don't support)....their arrogance better take a back seat to reality.

If we would all stand together we would'nt get pushed around and beat down like an old dog!! Everyone should put down the truth , How you really feel.Ha, what a dog and pony show, this should be good>>>>>>>> They will keep taking until we can't aford to work for them, Remember CF they had protection we don't , think about it don't be so nieve!!!There looking out for #1 we should too!!

:hide: Bank, could you interpit that into english? :smilie_132:

Our leaders are expecting negative feedback but the survey process alone will make a lot of drivers feel as though their opinions and feelings count. - No matter what 40 yd dumpster our responses land in. Drivers will vent, feel vindicated/valued and to that end, Conway will call it another successful labor cost reduction, because we have really short memories.

Management knows this and is counting on it.

Our leaders are expecting negative feedback but the survey process alone will make a lot of drivers feel as though their opinions and feelings count. - No matter what 40 yd dumpster our responses land in. Drivers will vent, feel vindicated/valued and to that end, Conway will call it another successful labor cost reduction, because we have really short memories.

Management knows this and is counting on it.

I dont know about that Bank. We have had it stuck to us real hard lately and we will not forget easely. What we need is a managment labor cost reduction. Get rid of the dead weight up top.

Why all the sudden interest in our opinions? Is someone trying to put out the wildfire that's been started? People are pissed like I have never seen here,which isn't really a bad thing. I am glad to see something get people fired up for once.

:Off-Topic:All this garbage with the oldest truck going on the longest run,losing vacation and the list goes on and on should send a very clear message about how this company feels about it's drivers with the longest tenure. I am young enough that if I choose to leave I can but what about the older people who can't leave and have to endure being force fed a pile of ::shit::? All too soon I and a lot of others will be the oldtimers then what?

I dont know about that Bank. We have had it stuck to us real hard lately and we will not forget easely. What we need is a managment labor cost reduction. Get rid of the dead weight up top.

I heard those same words just a few years back.

Everyone needs to TELL HOW THEY TRULY FEEL ABOUT HOW THINGS ARE GOING....Mgmt BETTER LISTEN......BETTER DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.....They BETTER remember that EFCA could be a REALITY.

Do they REALLY want service centers to go belly up?? There are many drivers who are looking forward to the passing of EFCA I can understand why but.......NO, that isn't the answer to make Con-Way great again.....what is the answer is to make CON-WAY the best LTL Company to work for......treat their customers and employees VERY WELL.

I am HOPING for the better here because I HOPE and THINK that Labrie wants that and the surveys will be his backup to take some serious action.

B*** S*** there going to keep the most positive survey's and say see mr. and mrs stockholder we keep them in the dark and feed them s**t just like ya'll ask so when did you say we get our bonus ?