TForce | Epidemic of Warnings

harleyman509

TB Lurker
Credits
I am a steward at the Gaffney terminal. We have had an epidemic of written warnings given in the last week or or for "Failure to Follow Instructions" ,ranging from not verifying piece counts (one piece short) to forgetting to complete a VIR log. There have been maybe 10 this week. We no longer get "Red Cards", no counseling or oral warning, just straight to a written warning. Just checking to make sure this is not just the Gaffney TM' s arrogance... Is anyone else having this problem??

I am a steward at the Gaffney terminal. We have had an epidemic of written warnings given in the last week or or for "Failure to Follow Instructions" ,ranging from not verifying piece counts (one piece short) to forgetting to complete a VIR log. There have been maybe 10 this week. We no longer get "Red Cards", no counseling or oral warning, just straight to a written warning. Just checking to make sure this is not just the Gaffney TM' s arrogance... Is anyone else having this problem??
WPB getting written warnings for every little thing and they all say "Failure to Follow Instructions". For example not shaving every day.

If you've had a PCM and they discussed these issues, they consider this the verbal warning.
I know most of our PCM's that contain instructional material have rosters to sign.

when we had our PCM about properly hooking a trailer the first thing was the trailer had to be in a well lit level and on firm ground. I asked so this means we are nolonger going to hook in our yard? The supervisor said these are just suggestions not rules.

But here management has been cracking down. And handing out letters left and right. Just remember it has to be within 9 months for them to use a PCM as a verbal warning.

If you've had a PCM and they discussed these issues, they consider this the verbal warning.
I know most of our PCM's that contain instructional material have rosters to sign.

They do, and as a shop steward in Fontana, do not sign any thing (PCM, write up, yellow/red card, etc). It is not a requirement, and the only thing they can make you sign is anything regarding Hazmat. (And even before signing that, let your BA know what their having you sign.)

First of all, "work safe".

For something like failure to verify a piece count, take your time counting loose pieces to insure the bill adds up with what you have. If its a pallet shrink wrapped with a bill as pieces and its a shipper-load and count, mark it as one skid unless you have to break it down, then count it as you go. same goes with recouping it.

Theres no bills per hour in the contract, if their busting your balls for not counting the freight, then take the time to do it so they can wonder why their production is down. They'll never be happy, get used to it. :nutkick:

Keep up posted.

They do, and as a shop steward in Fontana, do not sign any thing (PCM, write up, yellow/red card, etc). It is not a requirement, and the only thing they can make you sign is anything regarding Hazmat. (And even before signing that, let your BA know what their having you sign.)

When we sign a roster regarding a PCM or training material, we are signing that management and driver are acknowledging and agreeing to the fact that this discussion or training took place.

From that point forward, we are held accountable for our actions.
As drivers we should all be responsible for what we do. We should always remember to do things right the first time. If a driver keeps forgetting, making the same mistake, thats his/her bad and they should get what's coming to them.
There is nothing shady in this roster because it did take place and we both know it. There has to be a level of trust and accountability on both sides.

Our manager just leaves the PCM sheets on the table with a roster to sign. I never pick them up or sign anything. If they dont physically give it to you and at least have a discussion about it for "training", then no training actually took place and you are leaving yourself open to whatever they want to do by signing for it. The ones that I have signed were basically information stuff, but I signed them with the added remarks that there was no actuall physical training. That was at the advice of our steward.

When we sign a roster regarding a PCM or training material, we are signing that management and driver are acknowledging and agreeing to the fact that this discussion or training took place.

From that point forward, we are held accountable for our actions.
As drivers we should all be responsible for what we do. We should always remember to do things right the first time. If a driver keeps forgetting, making the same mistake, thats his/her bad and they should get what's coming to them.
There is nothing shady in this roster because it did take place and we both know it. There has to be a level of trust and accountability on both sides.

Again, it is not a requirement. I fully understand why they want you to sign it. The question is, who side are you leaning towards. I say this because everyone has a bad day where just everything goes wrong from the time you wake up to the time your head hits the pillow. Not signing the PCM Roster protects you just as the contract does.Trust has to be earned. As for as accountability, I believe we all have a job to do and we do our best and if someone is slacking, he or she needs to be pulled aside (without management) and told the possibility of what will and is going to happen if they keep screwing up. A PCM Roster does not have to be signed and should not be signed. Look out for eachother and remind one another.

Kabawl...are your statements concerning the PCM roster backed by the contract and/or your BA . Where is your information coming from and what are the consequences if we refuse to sign. Any help would be appreciated.

Again, it is not a requirement. I fully understand why they want you to sign it. The question is, who side are you leaning towards. I say this because everyone has a bad day where just everything goes wrong from the time you wake up to the time your head hits the pillow. Not signing the PCM Roster protects you just as the contract does.Trust has to be earned. As for as accountability, I believe we all have a job to do and we do our best and if someone is slacking, he or she needs to be pulled aside (without management) and told the possibility of what will and is going to happen if they keep screwing up. A PCM Roster does not have to be signed and should not be signed. Look out for eachother and remind one another.

I understand where you are coming from as far as looking out for each other. I do see your side.

If someone is slacking as far as the scope of his/her job description goes, it's managements responsibility to point it out.
However, if we see something negative during the course of the day that might put another brothers job in jeopardy, it would be a wise thing for us to intervene and let them know what might happen. (Provided we are well versed in the policy and not speculating something to them)

We get called out from time to time, sometimes often, for the same thing.
Once it becomes too repetitious, management than says to us this is the last verbal and the next one will be a write up.
If one hasn't learned by now from the many chances they received, than they are held accountable from her on out.

Signing a PCM might be a requirement by UPS, instituted by our local management that we have been trained or informed on certain matters.
I will ask our BA about this one and post a follow up on his answer.

We get called out from time to time, sometimes often, for the same thing.
Once it becomes too repetitious, management than says to us this is the last verbal and the next one will be a write up.
If one hasn't learned by now from the many chances they received, than they are held accountable from her on out.

Signing a PCM might be a requirement by UPS, instituted by our local management that we have been trained or informed on certain matters.
I will ask our BA about this one and post a follow up on his answer.

Keep me posted on what your BA or local says.

We have been declining to sign PCM's from day one. Just the other day, a PCM was read to us about an emergency evacuation and they asked us if it was okay for us to sign per OSHA. We as stewards told them we'd ask our BA and get back with them tomorrow. We asked our BA and he said its okay to sign that one. (Only because OSHA.)

Another time, our BA was in the break room and a city dispatch supervisor was reading a PCM to the city drivers and told them to sign the PCM Roster and our BA over hearing what was being said, went over and said "No, they arent signing it."

No disciplinary action was ever taken regarding a refusal to sign a PCM, Write up, Red Card, Yellow Card, etc.

Kabawl...are your statements concerning the PCM roster backed by the contract and/or your BA . Where is your information coming from and what are the consequences if we refuse to sign. Any help would be appreciated.

My BA told us we dont have to sign any PCM, We only sign it if it regards Hazmat or Osha. But before we sign those, we still get with our BA for a John Hancock confirmation. When this situation arises, let them know your going to contact your BA, and ask them if its okay to sign it and you will get back to them shortly.

Keep me posted on what your BA or local says.

We have been declining to sign PCM's from day one. Just the other day, a PCM was read to us about an emergency evacuation and they asked us if it was okay for us to sign per OSHA. We as stewards told them we'd ask our BA and get back with them tomorrow. We asked our BA and he said its okay to sign that one. (Only because OSHA.)

Another time, our BA was in the break room and a city dispatch supervisor was reading a PCM to the city drivers and told them to sign the PCM Roster and our BA over hearing what was being said, went over and said "No, they arent signing it."

No disciplinary action was ever taken regarding a refusal to sign a PCM, Write up, Red Card, Yellow Card, etc.

Interesting. I will definitely post a follow up.

At our facility they have the safety committee members reading the PCM's and collecting signatures. The safety committee members also hand out gold cards and post memos telling us where to park our trucks. One is even a steward if you can believe that.

At our facility they have the safety committee members reading the PCM's and collecting signatures. The safety committee members also hand out gold cards and post memos telling us where to park our trucks. One is even a steward if you can believe that.
Wow sounds like company Incest. That could be a dangerous mix.

Seems to me that steward is TOO close to management... Our job is to help the teamsters, not hurt them. That steward needs to be removed if he is helping management disipline or cause an investigation involving a teamster. You need to contact your BA. Management doesn't need any more help, much less from a union representative.

Maybe he believes in the saying, "Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer."

Hmm, It's still a double edge sword that could swing both ways.

If we are all under the same contract why do the procedures and rules vary so much between terminals? Shouldn't we all be on the same page?? Is it up to the individual BA/terminal or should we all have the same rights, rules and choices?