XPO | Falling behind...and hoping YOU don't notice

icuicp

TB Veteran
Credits
When XPO Logistics upper management issued the last raise ( at the end of June '21 I believe ) they offered a brief explanation of why it was given when it was.

Of course they ( upper management ) pointed to issues caused by the virus and having to deal with it. A small thing included in the pay increase announcement mentioned they intended to give this raise in October . As if this was the regular time for raises.

Taking all of this into account , and the scarcity of drivers with CDLs , it wasn't unreasonable to expect XPO to issue another raise towards the end of October. Not one word about adjusting pay to be competitive and keep up with ALL of the warehouse and retail jobs that are paying higher and higher wages. Not to mention other CDL jobs.

Why not work towards eliminating these hiring bonuses and simply pay correctly from the beginning? It seems like it would help in retaining better people longer.

To get to the title of the thread , XPO didn't give a raise in '20 , gave a raise in '21 that was supposed to have been in '20 and hasn't said anything about a raise meant for '21 , basically skipping '21.

Because higher wages dosen't help raise the price of the stock...lol
In the long run, neither do lower wages and benefits. Once the damage claims, employee retention, morale, and overall company pride take their toll over time, the quick fix of lower wages and benefits for the all mighty stock price will bring it all crashing down. Just look on these forums and you will see mostly unsatisfactory comments. Unhappy employees are generally unproductive employees. And with every freight company looking to hire with massive sign on bonuses and top pay day one, the companies have lost their ability to instill the fear of losing your job. For the first time in a very long time, the scales are tipped in the favor of the workers. Now, we each must decide what exactly do we do with this advantage. If we waste it and do nothing, the opportunity may never come again.

In the long run, neither do lower wages and benefits. Once the damage claims, employee retention, morale, and overall company pride take their toll over time, the quick fix of lower wages and benefits for the all mighty stock price will bring it all crashing down. Just look on these forums and you will see mostly unsatisfactory comments. Unhappy employees are generally unproductive employees. And with every freight company looking to hire with massive sign on bonuses and top pay day one, the companies have lost their ability to instill the fear of losing your job. For the first time in a very long time, the scales are tipped in the favor of the workers. Now, we each must decide what exactly do we do with this advantage. If we waste it and do nothing, the opportunity may never come again.
So true...
Was talking to my regional manger and asked him when the next raise is because now you have to pay us not to leave.
If you all remember how fast CCX/Con-way and XPO would make your accident preventable... They did that to keep you from going anywhere for at least 2-3yrs. No LTL company would hire you with a preventable accident. Well times have changed I heard of a driver with 2 preventable accident in under a year here at XPO was just hired at FXF and at top rate to boot.

Like I said you have to pay us not to leave

Since Memorial Day XCO has lost 10 line haul drivers.
This will continue until XPO makes the company into one of the best options for those looking for a job.

Right now the people that are here have zero desire to move up. If you've been here awhile , you haven't left due to not liking change and not wanting to lose the amount of time off you've accumulated.

For new people coming in , their hope an optimism usually goes away after two months ( three tops ) furthermore , when their hope fades , they typically become part of the problems.

To circle back to the thread topic , by skipping this year's raise ( and hoping nobody noticed it )
puts XPO further behind. Behind when it comes to setting a positive culture and an environment where folks want to stay and do the right thing.

This will continue until XPO makes the company into one of the best options for those looking for a job.

Right now the people that are here have zero desire to move up. If you've been here awhile , you haven't left due to not liking change and not wanting to lose the amount of time off you've accumulated.

For new people coming in , their hope an optimism usually goes away after two months ( three tops ) furthermore , when their hope fades , they typically become part of the problems.

To circle back to the thread topic , by skipping this year's raise ( and hoping nobody noticed it )
puts XPO further behind. Behind when it comes to setting a positive culture and an environment where folks want to stay and do the right thing.

And by being so far behind. Starting wages at other companies are higher than the top out wages at XPO. Ask me how I know.

And higher wages thinking it will boost retention and recruitment numbers is a lazy management attitude as well. If you don't have the environment that breeds inclusion you will never get people that pull in the same direction, which leads to poor morale. I know many companies that pay less than us but treat their drivers like they are gods in the industry (CCX was somewhat like that) and they are successful companies and will be for the long term.

And higher wages thinking it will boost retention and recruitment numbers is a lazy management attitude as well. If you don't have the environment that breeds inclusion you will never get people that pull in the same direction, which leads to poor morale. I know many companies that pay less than us but treat their drivers like they are gods in the industry (CCX was somewhat like that) and they are successful companies and will be for the long term.
True but you have to keep up with the Jones. Now not just a higher wage will keep people here. How about these, better health insurance, and retirement plan. The problem is the younger gen only looks at a few line on there check. The hourly rate and what goes into there pocket. Some are so debt heavy they don't even give the 5% to the 401K to get the free 4%. Yea it suck but it's still free money.
So just boosting the wage is all they care about and C suites know it.
Now i do not use XPO insurance using my wife plan and paying the extra fee for not taking XPO's. Pay that fee is worth the little extra cost for a much better plan.

True but you have to keep up with the Jones. Now not just a higher wage will keep people here. How about these, better health insurance, and retirement plan. The problem is the younger gen only looks at a few line on there check. The hourly rate and what goes into there pocket. Some are so debt heavy they don't even give the 5% to the 401K to get the free 4%. Yea it suck but it's still free money.
So just boosting the wage is all they care about and C suites know it.
Now i do not use XPO insurance using my wife plan and paying the extra fee for not taking XPO's. Pay that fee is worth the little extra cost for a much better plan.
Oh, wait a minute!!! You mean to tell me that you spent the last better part of five years arguing how good you had it here when we were trying to improve things and now you’re going to tell us you need better healthcare and a pension? Maybe instead of fighting you should’ve joined and we would have gotten those things. I’ll leave it at that . unbelievable
While you were being a cheerleader for Brad Jacobs and XPO the rest of us put our jobs on the line trying to get better than what we have. The only reason we did not get anything more was from the lack of support from you guys who were duped into thinking that things were going to be great. I know you won’t like this but you have nobody to blame But yourself. You’re getting exactly what they hope for.

Last edited:
Oh, wait a minute!!!

WOW my post must have gotten you blood pressure up. You seem to forget I came here long after Con-Way bent you over the log. Did they use lube when they took you paid health and pension among other things away? The only thing I can judge on is how thing are going in the company is by what I had when I came here not what you had. You seem to forget the point I said back then is that I took a pay cut to come here and the reasoning why. No more nights sleeping in a truck. So if I compare my last job to this one then it has been better then what I had. Home everyday. Now if you want to split hairs we can. Since I been here something have improved much to your dismay and something haven't and can be made better.
You just love calling me a cheerleader for BJ and XPO don't you. I am far from it. Though I do have a wide enough view to understand some of the thing they do and why. You just dislike them because you feel they screwed you When in fact it was Con-way that screwed you.
It is getting old that you keep blaming us for your failures. Your failures start back when you believe CCX/Con-way management on all there promises and didn't get it in writing.
Now like I said in my post I have never used the Health insurance and can not speak much on it. It's just that my wife's plan has always been better in though it cost a little more. Oh here one thing I lost coming here...At my last job if I didn't take the company healthcare plan and could prove I was covered through another plan they wrote me a check for $600 every 6 months. 7yrs times $1200 = $8400 lose. So coming here sure was not all rainbows and unicorns. It was more about what's more imporant to me just like some here vacation time and seniority is important to them.
Just thing if you left back in 08/09, when Con-way bending over, you would have been at one of your grass is greener over their jobs now for 12yrs