XPO | Fire!!!

Aggressor

TB Regular
Credits
Anyone witness the fire at XCW last night?
nice little electrical fire.
fire dept had to show up.

Black smoke for everyone to inhale. Why they didn't at least clear out sector 1 is unbelieveable.
Maybe indiana OSHA will show up & have a talk with them.

Black smoke for everyone to inhale. Why they didn't at least clear out sector 1 is unbelieveable.

Sounds like a new Marty minute.:biglaugh: Glad everyone is ok and it wasn't anything more.

This is what I was told, our driver was there in sector 1, I quess a propane tank was froze up and was in the basement in front of a space heater, a short occurred in the heater and if this isn't bad enough there was 6 cases of starting fluid down there too.

This is what I was told, our driver was there in sector 1, I quess a propane tank was froze up and was in the basement in front of a space heater, a short occurred in the heater and if this isn't bad enough there was 6 cases of starting fluid down there too.
"Here's your sign", whoever thought that was a good idea!:duh:

Not clearing the building especially when the FD was involved is most likely a terminable offense by those in charge.

Ind. OSHA definitely needs to be contacted. XGO/Safety Dept...HR dept...VP/Operations also need to be contacted and informed of the situation.

Fire in any form is not something to be taken lightly. I have many friends who are firefighters and their response is to get out as fast as possible. A fire in a facility such as ours where the inhabitants are not aware of the contents of the building and where flammables (IE..starting fluid) may be stored at any number of locations which vary from facility to facility is just a tragedy looking for a place to happen.

Then to add to the apparent danger (which causes more fire related deaths than any other factor) are the fumes. We haul everything imaginable and some materials that are highly toxic when ignited. They possible toxicity with some materials can be highly deadly.

Then there is the old excuse...Well, it was just a small fire contained in a limited space. No such thing as a small fire. ANY FIRE must treated as a major event (just ask any seasoned firefighter!) A fire can reach catastrophic and deadly proportions in minutes (or seconds!)

This decision NOT to evacuate is beyond comprehension. Granted, this fire was evidently contained by the pros...but to count on that is a very dangerous and potentially deadly decision.

Those in charge need to be relieved of their position forthwith...before some other idiotic decisoin is made that may have more dire results.

Rat

to update things... it was reported that a heat gun (bottle torch maybe?) was used by the mechanic earlier and was responsible for igniting a shelf of truck filters. The supervisors suppressed the fire with the extinguishers available but the fire continued to re-ignite due to the heat of the burning paper and plastic/rubber. That's when the fire department arrived to use water to finish the job.

Regional Safety Supervisor arrived on site before 6:00 am

However, the best story going is that the mechanic left his fajitas on the electric hotplate too long.

And then there's the story of a couple people that hope no one got a cell phone picture of them taking a hit off of the basement bong.

:duh:Where is XCW? Were you guys low on LP tanks? Why would you take the time for that stupid s**t! I would have junked it and got another tank-if available.

:duh:Where is XCW? Were you guys low on LP tanks? Why would you take the time for that stupid s**t! I would have junked it and got another tank-if available.

XCW is Coldwater MI.
......Still located in Fremont IN.

:hide: XCW was originally in Coldwater Michigan, then re-located to Fremont Indiana in CF's former terminal.:smilie_132:

:hide: I have a question that I could never figure out. Where in the heck is Truckingboards time clock located?
I am in the most eastern time zone of the USA, and when I post, it shows 2 hours ahead of my time!!!!! Is Truckingboards located in the middle of the Atlantic ocean? Help Me!!!:smilie_132:

Not 1 hazmat trailer pulled from the dock during this incident, no drivers were allowed to leave their sector during this incicent (even the ones that complained about the smoke).

This may be one of the reasons Lant cannot get that TM position he so desperately desires.

Not 1 hazmat trailer pulled from the dock during this incident, no drivers were allowed to leave their sector during this incicent (even the ones that complained about the smoke).

This may be one of the reasons Lant cannot get that TM position he so desperately desires.

Safety does NOT take a break!