XPO | Fire!!!

However, I'll never understand why they keep this policy manual so secretive. I have a suspicion that you guys are smart and would use it against them.
It's pretty easy to skirt the rules, in fact, it is very easy, so easy that It's better to keep you in the dark and wonder what it all means.
That way they can use it on you on an as needed basis. Thrash you after you have been paper trailed with progressive amounts of discipline.

You answered your own question.

Rat :smilie_132:

Back to the original subject. If someone had gotten injured or (God forbid), killed because of this "small fire". We as a company, would have been exposed to unimaginable liability. The decision to continue to work freight on the dock was poor, to be sure. Not only on the part of management, but everybody there. I don't care what is on those trailers, it's not worth someone getting killed. If the building is on fire, GET OUT!!!

:ranting:

What's the worst that would have happened if everybody would have walked outside to a safe area? I'll take the LOI on this one fella's, and make sure I write in the comments area, of the LOI, why I disobeyed my sector supervisor, and left the dock. We complain a lot about the stupid decisions, that some of our management makes, but what about us? We also have to hold ourselves responsible for our own decisions, don't we?

"I'll be back when the fire is over boss, I'm going to the parking lot for a smoke break.":hysterical:

Back to the original subject. If someone had gotten injured or (God forbid), killed because of this "small fire". We as a company, would have been exposed to unimaginable liability. The decision to continue to work freight on the dock was poor, to be sure. Not only on the part of management, but everybody there. I don't care what is on those trailers, it's not worth someone getting killed. If the building is on fire, GET OUT!!!

:ranting:

What's the worst that would have happened if everybody would have walked outside to a safe area? I'll take the LOI on this one fella's, and make sure I write in the comments area, of the LOI, why I disobeyed my sector supervisor, and left the dock. We complain a lot about the stupid decisions, that some of our management makes, but what about us? We also have to hold ourselves responsible for our own decisions, don't we?

"I'll be back when the fire is over boss, I'm going to the parking lot for a smoke break.":hysterical:
Take personal responsibility, I'll have some of what your smoking. Now back to filling out the forms so someone else can pay my mortgage.

Going to the parking lot is company property. You can't smoke there.
If you get in your car to smoke you're car is on company property.
Go to the street.

You're also stealing time!

Damn! Catch 22 on this idea.

I know you're just kidding.

I wonder if it was even an XCW supervisor that called the fire dept.

It could have been a L/H DSR that was tired of waiting for someone else to call and used his own cell phone. Isn't sector one XAY, XCL, XAC, XAH, and XGY? (Used to be) I wonder who it was????

I can see the new policy directive now. In our next Monday morning communication meeting, we'll be told that possession of cell phones on the dock is a crime against Conway....and humanity.

well this should help with all this second-guessing. I found someone who had snapped a shot with their cell phone through the smoke at XCW. Now you know why no one wanted to leave the building. This also explains why the supervisors were trying to order ten pizzas at 5 o'clock Friday morning.

bongsmoke.jpg

I can see the new policy directive now. In our next Monday morning communication meeting, we'll be told that possession of cell phones on the dock is a crime against Conway....and humanity.

Well, here we go! You've been hiding under that rock again! Let me refresh your memory...

The 17th commandment...(of Con-Way)

"Thou shall not use thy cell phone whilst upon the dock. Thou shalt not take calls on thy cell phone whilst on the dock regardless of whom the caller mayest be. If thy members of thy family havest an emergency they shouldst call thy service center and have the message relayed to thee based upon the ingenious evaluations of thy supervisor.

Thou mayest takes call whilst upon the dock if said call is from thy supervisor for the purpose of giving thee work direction. Thou mayest also take calls on thy cell phone if the caller is God.(but keep it short!!!)

Under no circumstances mayest thou useth thy cell phone for the purposes of taking pictures which mayest be used in future disputes (unless it is found to be to your demise).

No you know...knowledge is power (oops!...wrong forum for that!!!):duh:

I know...I know...get a life!!!:biglaugh:

Rat :clap:

Was referring to possession and not use.

Oops!~~...Note to self...Read the freakin post accurately!!

May end up being a "leave 'em at the door" unwritten policy. Besides you know it is wrong! How many times have you read of poeople getting busted for "possession" :rofl2:

Rat :biglaugh:

I wonder if it was even an XCW supervisor that called the fire dept.

It could have been a L/H DSR that was tired of waiting for someone else to call and used his own cell phone. Isn't sector one XAY, XCL, XAC, XAH, and XGY? (Used to be) I wonder who it was????

If they irriterate this soon, than you know where they got the idea. It would be too much of a coincidence for it to suddenly pop up as a communications meeting topic.

If they irriterate this soon, than you know where they got the idea. It would be too much of a coincidence for it to suddenly pop up as a communications meeting topic.

Double D Damn!!! Certainly you jest Sir!!

Art thou suggesting there mayest be a troll or spy amongst us?

Please say it isn't so!

Rat :loser:

PS...I know we have been having some fun with this, but in all seriousness I wonder what will become of it. The CW paradigm demands some kind of action. We cannot tout ourselves as a safety conscious organization and still permit the actions at XCW to go unattended. I have a sneaking suspicion that if there are no complaints by those in attendance then the whole thing will go under the rug. I would love to hear BB's take on this!

Double D Damn!!! Certainly you jest Sir!!

Art thou suggesting there mayest be a troll or spy amongst us?

Please say it isn't so!

PS...I know we have been having some fun with this, but in all seriousness I wonder what will become of it. The CW paradigm demands some kind of action. We cannot tout ourselves as a safety conscious organization and still permit the actions at XCW to go unattended. I have a sneaking suspicion that if there are no complaints by those in attendance then the whole thing will go under the rug. I would love to hear BB's take on this!

when the last fatality from a forklift leaving the dock occurred, everyone complained of the "knee-jerk" reaction of the company in creating new policy on forklift operation. Now with this fire you are demanding just the same... a knee-jerk reaction against the management of XCW. why?

police and fire personal train tirelessly in scenarios requiring quick response and reactions without thinking. The reship staff at XCW just proved why everyone needs a safety officer and on going training. Your opinion leans toward the idea that the XCW staff made conscious decisions to put employees in harms way. I don't see anything going under the rug, just the need to reinforce current safety policies and how they apply directly to our dock operations. It's one thing to watch a fire training video, but the next step should be discussion as to how safety procedures apply to each facility.

I don't see anything going under the rug, just the need to reinforce current safety policies and how they apply directly to our dock operations. It's one thing to watch a fire training video, but the next step should be discussion as to how safety procedures apply to each facility.

So true! You guys should actually have mock fire drills and actually go through a scenario. Stuff like this gets instilled into everyone, so when a panic does occur you have a fire action plan to follow.

Videos, knowing locations of fire extinguishers and a somewhat hidden picture of escape routes aren't enough.

when the last fatality from a forklift leaving the dock occurred, everyone complained of the "knee-jerk" reaction of the company in creating new policy on forklift operation. Now with this fire you are demanding just the same... a knee-jerk reaction against the management of XCW. why?

A fire is nothing to be taken lightly...and this ain't no knee jerk reaction. And yes I am demanding a better and more responsible approach to the fire scenario at XCW. Fires kill and maim thousands of people every year. Many are disfigured for life through no fault of their own. The best way to avoid these problems is to evacuate and let the professionals handle the situation. This is what they train for...it is their job! And not to diminish the situation but a forklift incident affects one or perhaps two people...and proper training will hopefully avoid any life threatening injuries. A fire in any facility is life threatening to everyone present...including the firefighters. If there is a CW policy regarding fires and it was implemented then it is seriously lacking in taking into account the potential threats associated with any fire. If the policy wasn't followed then those responsible need to pay the piper...period!!!

police and fire personal train tirelessly in scenarios requiring quick response and reactions without thinking. The reship staff at XCW just proved why everyone needs a safety officer and on going training. Your opinion leans toward the idea that the XCW staff made conscious decisions to put employees in harms way. I don't see anything going under the rug, just the need to reinforce current safety policies and how they apply directly to our dock operations. It's one thing to watch a fire training video, but the next step should be discussion as to how safety procedures apply to each facility.

Your input here requires a little judicious assessment based on what I have read and from what I know of the staff at XCW. Did the staff intentionally and consciously put people in harms way...NO!

Did they try to handle a potentially hazardous situation beyond their abilities to keep from shutting down the FAC operation at XCW and delaying the closing and completion of the days affairs...YES!

The rub here is that the first consideration is the operation of the FAC and not the seriousness of the event. Any Fire Chief or Captain thinking that hazardous materials were involved would have most likely not only evacuated the facility but would have ordered an evacuation of an entire area and set up a perimeter. The potential consequences dealing with these types of materials is stunning to comprehend. Fumes kill more people than flames. Con-Way's FAC operation may have been delayed but considering the potential cost it would have been well worth it. Those in charge need to be taken to task.

So true! You guys should actually have mock fire drills and actually go through a scenario. Stuff like this gets instilled into everyone, so when a panic does occur you have a fire action plan to follow.

Videos, knowing locations of fire extinguishers and a somewhat hidden picture of escape routes aren't enough.

From what I'm reading here on this thread, there was no panic, they kept working. :hysterical: