XPO | Fire!!!

fire

Anyone witness the fire at XCW last night?
nice little electrical fire.
fire dept had to show up.

Black smoke for everyone to inhale. Why they didn't at least clear out sector 1 is unbelieveable.
Maybe indiana OSHA will show up & have a talk with them.

after reading through these posts, i have yet to see any from someone that was actually there. all these ar hearsay or spectulation. does any out there actually know what went down during this and how it was handled

I was in XCO the night that there was a compressed bottle of poison gas was leaking. Because the police and fire dept FORCED Con-way to evacuate the property we had to go out to the street, Then to a safe parking lot down the road. The T.M. showed up and was on his cell phone trying to get the ok for us to go back on the dock because he seen the dollar going out the window. That came from someone I know that was standing near him that overheard the phone conversation. That happened @ 5 years ago

Bad reading

after reading through these posts, i have yet to see any from someone that was actually there. all these ar hearsay or spectulation. does any out there actually know what went down during this and how it was handled

By reading these posts, if you actually read them. You would easily be able to tell at least 2 people who posted on here, were there.

There was no panic.......

From what I'm reading here on this thread, there was no panic, they kept working. :hysterical:

Because, probably 80% of the people in the building didnt even know there was a fire there. It was never announced. XCW is a huge terminal, unless you were down in sector 1,2 or maybe 3, you wouldnt even know the fire dept. was even there. I only knew they were there because the switcher had just pulled a trailer out of a door in sector 6, next to were I was working, so I seen the fire trucks coming into the yard.

The fire at xcw was in a small storage room that is under the sector desk.a superviser went down with an xay driver to put out the fire.when they opened the door a thick black smoke came out.the xay driver said to the superviser "im out of here u be the hero call the fire dept"the fire dept came and put out the fire that was caused by a torch that is used to thaw out propane tank fitings when they freeze because xcw fills their own tanks.the torch was placed on top of some filters that caught fire.the fire dept also did not say to evacuate.xay drivers do not evacuate they move freight!not a fire,tornado,sand storm.earth quake can stop xay drivers from loading our customers freight

The fire at xcw was in a small storage room that is under the sector desk.a superviser went down with an xay driver to put out the fire.when they opened the door a thick black smoke came out.the xay driver said to the superviser "im out of here u be the hero call the fire dept"the fire dept came and put out the fire that was caused by a torch that is used to thaw out propane tank fitings when they freeze because xcw fills their own tanks.the torch was placed on top of some filters that caught fire.the fire dept also did not say to evacuate.xay drivers do not evacuate they move freight!not a fire,tornado,sand storm.earth quake can stop xay drivers from loading our customers freight

You guys are my heros. It takes a special man to breath all that smoke (on top of all that black dust we breath everynight) and still keep working.

I wonder if our families will be able to get a lawsuit later in life like the asbestos victims families have.

You guys are my heros. It takes a special man to breath all that smoke (on top of all that black dust we breath everynight) and still keep working.

I wonder if our families will be able to get a lawsuit later in life like the asbestos victims families have.

It would sound as if it might be more fitting
to issue LOI's to the afore mentioned 20% that
may have been aware of the problem that DID NOT
warn others to get out and then get out themselves .

What has become of common SENSE and responsibilty
of ones own and others safety and well being ?

Just4Thought

Nitro .. thank you for posting what happened.

ya thanks nitro for explaining

Nitro .. thank you for posting what happened.

How 'bout that..!!! a first hand account that somehow seems to be devoid of all the stupidity that everyone assumed...amazing what kind of information you get when the poster doesn't start with "Did you hear?". "I know a guy" or my favorite, "rumor has it"...Appreciate you, Nitro...by the way, that being proud of XAY moving the freight thing you have goin' on there, you might want to tone that down, as we don't allow alot of that here...stirs the natives...

Here we go again

How 'bout that..!!! a first hand account that somehow seems to be devoid of all the stupidity that everyone assumed...amazing what kind of information you get when the poster doesn't start with "Did you hear?". "I know a guy" or my favorite, "rumor has it"...Appreciate you, Nitro...by the way, that being proud of XAY moving the freight thing you have goin' on there, you might want to tone that down, as we don't allow alot of that here...stirs the natives...

Management sticking up for managements stupidity. You werent there, I was. There was quite a bit of smoke in the building. So your saying all the "stupidity" was assumed and it didnt really happen? To think theres a big enough fire to call the fire department and to not evacuate, at least the sectors that this fire was brewing in was stupid? Amazing what kind of post you get when management starts out his post with "How bout that"...!!!

How about the fact that I was there & heard the wrong story on the first night about how the fire started.

Management sticking up for managements stupidity. You werent there, I was. There was quite a bit of smoke in the building. So your saying all the "stupidity" was assumed and it didnt really happen? To think theres a big enough fire to call the fire department and to not evacuate, at least the sectors that this fire was brewing in was stupid? Amazing what kind of post you get when management starts out his post with "How bout that"...!!!

Well, now we have a bunch of people who WERE there, and nobody has the same story...gets more interesting by the moment...or by the story..

Well, now we have a bunch of people who WERE there, and nobody has the same story...gets more interesting by the moment...or by the story..

AHA!!!...now were getting somewhere. There were people there and we have more than one story.

Whats that tell you?

Nobody except those close to the fire knew what was actually going on at the moment. The failure here lies in the confusion amongst those present. The guys or gals at the other end of the building may have not known what was happening. But they were in just as much danger as anyone else.

There should have been an announcement to evacuate the facility until it was deemed safe by the firefighting professionals. Anything other than this is irresponsible.

Rat :loser:

Heard the wrong story..??? Is there more than one..??

I saw the smoke, then I asked a driver that was from sector 1
what is all that smoke?
he said someone got a forklift stuck in a trailer & burned up a tire trying to get it out of a trailer
next thing I know the fire dept is there.
later that night heard it was an electrical fire.
Next night I was told someone was using a bottle heater ,set it on a wooden shelf & it caught the shelf on fire.

AHA!!!...now were getting somewhere. There were people there and we have more than one story.

Whats that tell you?

Nobody except those close to the fire knew what was actually going on at the moment. The failure here lies in the confusion amongst those present. The guys or gals at the other end of the building may have not known what was happening. But they were in just as much danger as anyone else.

There should have been an announcement to evacuate the facility until it was deemed safe by the firefighting professionals. Anything other than this is irresponsible.

Rat :loser:

I agree, that is why I started this thread!

I saw the smoke, then I asked a driver that was from sector 1
what is all that smoke?
he said someone got a forklift stuck in a trailer & burned up a tire trying to get it out of a trailer
next thing I know the fire dept is there.
later that night heard it was an electrical fire.
Next night I was told someone was using a bottle heater ,set it on a wooden shelf & it caught the shelf on fire.

I would have evacuated for the safety of all, just until I was sure...but I wasn't there, I don't know how large the dock is, how serious the fire was in this apparent isolated room, according to some of the stories, so I cannot make a judgement for another individual who MAY have thought they were doing the right thing, even if others don't perceive it that way...Sometimes an extinguisher can give a person alot of confidence, if not always common sense..sometimes the human mind just reacts and says "put the fire out and it will be ok"...and that's what you do first...

I would have evacuated for the safety of all, just until I was sure...but I wasn't there, I don't know how large the dock is, how serious the fire was in this apparent isolated room, according to some of the stories, so I cannot make a judgement for another individual who MAY have thought they were doing the right thing, even if others don't perceive it that way...Sometimes an extinguisher can give a person alot of confidence, if not always common sense..sometimes the human mind just reacts and says "put the fire out and it will be ok"...and that's what you do first...

Granted!...

Perhaps this event will set a precedent for further occurrences if and when they happen.

These are serious events that require serious responses...

Lets makes sure everyone goes home safe!!!

The Rat:loser:

Then you are an anomaly and who thinks outside of the box. That is why I have stated you hear very little griping out of the west.