ABF | Forced To The Street After 8 Hours On The Dock.

May I send you something to cushion the blow. How about an editor to edit all your future posts? I have known for years you are hard headed, but pounding your pu, excuse me, I mean desk will only gain you a migraine, which if your are very lucky, will knock some sense in to your posts. I think. Pass the Excedrin please. Von.

Please forgive me for my response. For the Vicodin I took had a little more kick than I expected. von.

Always get the benefit of the doubt from me , Brother.........Enjoyed your insight over the years.....

Quit washing down the Vicodan with Jim Beam!

Gotta watch that Vicodin stuff. One time I was on it years ago, I put on a Black Sabbath LP (at 78 RPM on the turntable). I’m pretty sure I saw God.
Listening to the opening track of the album, "Black Sabbath" can have the same effect, or, a good hit of blotter acid. Same effect, different avenue. But, whatever you do, do not do LSD while listening to Black Sabbath music, your trip might not turn out like you expected. von.

I forgot to mention that Canary. He did call the NLRB twice, only got voicemail, left info each time and NEVER got a response. I think after that he just gave up. Now the paper idea might do something... we will have to see.

Thanks all

If NLRB doesn't help there is another option. If you are sure that the company is not honoring the contract you can contact a good labor attorney. That attorney can notify the Union that employees may file a "duty of fair representation" charge against the Union if it refuses to follow up on a grievance. If the grievance is filed but then denied in a hearing and the contract is clearly being ignored in the grievance decision, there is still hope. Most all state laws that allow grievance hearings as a substitute to a court session require that the arbitrator in a grievance hearing MUST HONOR the CONTRACT in arriving at a decision. If that doesn't happen and you have good verification of that fact, an attorney can file charges in court to overthrow the grievance. Admittedly, this is not the easiest path to take but in a serious situation it may be the way to go.

If NLRB doesn't help there is another option. If you are sure that the company is not honoring the contract you can contact a good labor attorney. That attorney can notify the Union that employees may file a "duty of fair representation" charge against the Union if it refuses to follow up on a grievance. If the grievance is filed but then denied in a hearing and the contract is clearly being ignored in the grievance decision, there is still hope. Most all state laws that allow grievance hearings as a substitute to a court session require that the arbitrator in a grievance hearing MUST HONOR the CONTRACT in arriving at a decision. If that doesn't happen and you have good verification of that fact, an attorney can file charges in court to overthrow the grievance. Admittedly, this is not the easiest path to take but in a serious situation it may be the way to go.

And with a Labor Attorney,.....you should be able to request a Federal Mediator step in and do Arbitration......on the Grievance,...and maybe on the charge of non-representation....

50/50........but better than what you have now......

I start at 6 am due dock work for 2- 4 hrs then go on a p+d run and dont get back till about 6-7 pm is that excessive overtime if i onyl eanna work 10
Yes it is...IF...IF...you signed the Excessive Overtime sheet prior to the beginning of your shift, and the sheet with your signature (dated and time-stamped) is brought to your supervisor’s attention. In person is usually the best delivery method, that way he/she can’t say: “Oh, I never got that” (yeah, right!). I believe they must notify you in the sixth hour(?) if they’re gonna need you past 10 hours (if you signed the sheet), and even then, if it’s a regular happening, then you have a clear abuse. Management can NOT arbitrarily deny your request. The point here is to get that sheet (have your BA draw one up, or do it yourself on Excel) posted right next to the time clock immediately. At my old terminal, we photocopied the Excessive Overtime language right from the contract, and put in on top of the sheet. That way, if someone had a question, the lingo was right there!

I must say, if guys wanna work 10+ hours each and every day they are at liberty to do so. As I got up in years, the desire to have ‘extra money’ from all the OT I was working fell off the radar. What came ON the radar was being able to spend a bit more quality time with the family. Can’t tell you how many of our daughters’ events I missed working late into the evening because the TM said that U-pack trailer (40 miles from the terminal) just “has to be delivered tonight when you get back“....after my 200-mile loop route, and then work a dock-full of outbound freight.

Get a sheet printed up and posted ASAP. Keep us updated!

Yes it is...IF...IF...you signed the Excessive Overtime sheet prior to the beginning of your shift, and the sheet with your signature (dated and time-stamped) is brought to your supervisor’s attention. In person is usually the best delivery method, that way he/she can’t say: “Oh, I never got that” (yeah, right!). I believe they must notify you in the sixth hour(?) if they’re gonna need you past 10 hours (if you signed the sheet), and even then, if it’s a regular happening, then you have a clear abuse. Management can NOT arbitrarily deny your request. The point here is to get that sheet (have your BA draw one up, or do it yourself on Excel) posted right next to the time clock immediately. At my old terminal, we photocopied the Excessive Overtime language right from the contract, and put in on top of the sheet. That way, if someone had a question, the lingo was right there!

I must say, if guys wanna work 10+ hours each and every day they are at liberty to do so. As I got up in years, the desire to have ‘extra money’ from all the OT I was working fell off the radar. What came ON the radar was being able to spend a bit more quality time with the family. Can’t tell you how many of our daughters’ events I missed working late into the evening because the TM said that U-pack trailer (40 miles from the terminal) just “has to be delivered tonight when you get back“....after my 200-mile loop route, and then work a dock-full of outbound freight.

Get a sheet printed up and posted ASAP. Keep us updated!
Thank u for that info .where would i find the excessive overtime in the contract because that thing is confusing.

Thank u for that info .where would i find the excessive overtime in the contract because that thing is confusing.
I retired under the 2013-18 CBA. The language for that particular contract was in the Local Cartage/Pickup and Delivery section (blue pages). To be precise, in my contract booklet it was on page 80.

I retired under the 2013-18 CBA. The language for that particular contract was in the Local Cartage/Pickup and Delivery section (blue pages). To be precise, in my contract booklet it was on page 80.

And I retired under the same CBA. Bro. Trucker 206 is on the West Coast, and I am in W. Penna. There is no language in the Master part of the Agreement concerning excessive overtime.
However,.....if you have guys under you who are laid off,...the Master provides a formula for calling back laid off guys if overtime exceeds 25%. If everyone working in your terminal has days like yours,...and there are laid off guys,.....you definately have a Grievance under Article 5, Sec. 6.
And,.....if you feel that excessive overtime is impacting your health, reflexes, and is making it unsafe for you to drive,......look at Article 16, Sec. 1, second paragraph. You don't drive sleepy and tired.......

Unfortunately.........the Supplements vary widely from region to region concerning work rules and excessive overtime. Bro Trucker 206's Supplement provides for an "Excessive Overtime" sheet,...to be physically signed by the employee.
Here in the JC #40 Supplement,....we have Article 53, Local Cartage Provisions,...Sec. 9, A. Wages and Hours, CDL Qualified ( and Mechanics),..6th paragraph,....which states:

"The Union shall have the right to file a Grievance against an Employer who CONSISTENTLY insists that employees work 10(ten) hours a day. This shall apply to city drivers returning to terminal after completing their tour of duty, as well as other classifications."

We've filed grievances about this in the past,......the only sticking point was the term; "Consistently". Generally,...when a Grievance concerning this was filed,....management made an effort to cut hours to the employees involved,...to prevent the grievance from going to panel.

You're going to have to check your Supplement. And,.....I stress,....work with your Steward. You need an Ally,...not an Adversary,....and if you explain to him the problem,...it's his Job to see if there's language to prevent abuse of employees.

......(unless you get one that's just going through the motions,....and blows you off, saying : "There's nothing you can do..." In that case,......Read Article 16, Sec. 1,....very carefully,...and invoke that Article if you feel you are too Impaired by Fatigue to Safely Drive Truck......in those Exact Words......Make sure your co-workers know about that Language, too...).

Good Luck, Brother......let us know......

At 050, the lower half of our Midnight dock shift is forced to the street after 8 hours on the dock. These aren’t always drop and hook runs. Some are peddles and long distant U-Packs. This was going on before Covid 19. Does this happen at other terminals?

Hey I’ve put in have an application pending at the Indy terminal for city driver. It sounds like there is plenty hours available. I keep hearing about Layoffs in the industry is this something ABF does often. What is their Top out Pay in this terminal. Recruiter told me new contract in July 2021 will be $28 top rate.

Hey I’ve put in have an application pending at the Indy terminal for city driver. It sounds like there is plenty hours available. I keep hearing about Layoffs in the industry is this something ABF does often. What is their Top out Pay in this terminal. Recruiter told me new contract in July 2021 will be $28 top rate.
I think the contract expires in 2023 & then we will be close to $28.....They must be hiring system wide i heard Carlisle is looking for 200 people, I don't know how true that is....

I think the contract expires in 2023 & then we will be close to $28.....They must be hiring system wide i heard Carlisle is looking for 200 people, I don't know how true that is....
They should be hiring in Carlisle. Friday night in the 1 hour that I was there,a Baylor driver pulling out, a CR England driver coming in, a Barr-Nunn driver headed out,two Werner drivers, one coming in and one going out and two Landstar drivers,one coming in with a set of pups and one headed out with an ABF van. Lots of green tractors parked in the yard.

They should be hiring in Carlisle. Friday night in the 1 hour that I was there,a Baylor driver pulling out, a CR England driver coming in, a Barr-Nunn driver headed out,two Werner drivers, one coming in and one going out and two Landstar drivers,one coming in with a set of pups and one headed out with an ABF van. Lots of green tractors parked in the yard.
That sucks, are they that busy because of the ue being shut down? And have you heard anything about them starting back up or scraping it all together?

Any terminal that lost UE jobs,....and has the slightest whisper of a non-company driver approaching their dock......should be filing a grievance.
ArcBest's idea is to hold all seniority boards static,.....don't replace retirees, or quits.......That way, as the seniority board drops, they can say; "Everyone's working"....while they farm out former Union work......

Should've been a benchmark established years ago,....preventing a falling seniority board from subcontracting.

I start at 6 am due dock work for 2- 4 hrs then go on a p+d run and dont get back till about 6-7 pm is that excessive overtime if i onyl eanna work 10
Hindsight is easy. I wonder if becoming an owner operator instead of staying a company driver, would have been any better? @ least you had complete control of your business & destiny. von.

Gotta watch that Vicodin stuff. One time I was on it years ago, I put on a Black Sabbath LP (at 78 RPM on the turntable). I’m pretty sure I saw God.
inagodadavida would have been a good song to listen when doing a hit of blotter acid. Or how about Jimmy Hendricks guitar version of the Star Spangled Banner? That would have made for quite a acid trip. Maybe. von.