FedEx Freight | Good Ole Fedex at it already

It would be a huge fuster cluck to replace company drivers with contractors on this scale, there is no way it will happen. I don’t even know why anybody is freaking out about it.

How would it “get to freight”? Do you think they would attempt to get us to be contractors?

I don't think we're freaking about it, but you brought it up so it was discussed. I think it's unlikely, but not impossible.

😡 Well Ground is a complete failure in my eyes , we have had more damaged , missing , BAD drivers (packages thrown in bushes , mailbox driven over , packages marked bad weather on sunny days) bottom line screw FDXG not going to be used ever again. USPS & UPS Standard Overnight both will be our shipping choices from now on , that's it ! One of our cops told me a Ground driver slammed into a tree down the street , bit his tongue 1/3 off , truck totaled and they had EMT's , tow truck , the city workers and 4 squads tied up for 3 hours since DOT and the contractor / owner who had the balls to ask how to make this go away since it was his truck and a city tree . Ohhh , guess he was looking at his phone when he hit at 42 mph in a 25 mph street . Keep up the good work FedEx .
Plenty of vids on youtube of guys pitchin boxes on the porch from the street. Never saw UPS do that kinda ::shit:: before. Points to a big morale problem IMHO

I don't think we're freaking about it, but you brought it up so it was discussed. I think it's unlikely, but not impossible.
We're talking about it because there is no trust or faith in this company after decades of crapping on employees.

I know. I know. Go somewhere else. Working on it.:coffee1:

Plenty of vids on youtube of guys pitchin boxes on the porch from the street. Never saw UPS do that kinda ::::shit:::: before. Points to a big morale problem IMHO

It's the pay structure. Pay by the day or pay by the stop. I've done both and none of them cater to careful handling. The sooner you're done, the more you made per hour.

Now, ground drivers have to take a photo of the package, so that might help some. It's similar to what amazon does.

We're talking about it because there is no trust or faith in this company after decades of crapping on employees.

I know. I know. Go somewhere else. Working on it.:coffee1:

I don't trust any company. I'm big on investing in yourself. Company A can screw you over as easily as company B. I've been through the ringer enough times to know that.

Road is interesting too. A lot of runs get cancelled or added last minute. PT rates also fluctuate based on demand. PT is cheap right now, but that won't always be the case. Is FedEx willing to pay the cost of a 53 foot trailer for a few pieces of freight? Are contractors willing to get the necessary hazmat carrier license, train their employees every 3 years and pay hazmat drivers? What about guaranteed shipments? I've sat for a few hours waiting for a guaranteed price of freight to arrive and get loaded. Contractors are going to want more than 30/hr for waiting. They're also never in a rush and the state of their equipment is unknown. Do you penalize them for being late and costing you a paid shipment or customer?

How do you work the seniority and displacement based on job title? Then you have the shuttle runs and small EOL centers.

It's more than just contracting out meets and hub turns. If that were the case, they would've done it a long time ago.
There is no guaranteed freight with fedex freight anymore been that way since 2020. They do and have meet runs with power unit only contractors pulling our trailers.we leave trailers sitting on our yard with 20-30 bills on them for 2-5 days waiting on even trailers coming back,we are never in a rush to get it to the customer.when fedex bought us we found out the day it happened,this change of ops will be the same way.the powers that be do not want a mass exodous if they reveal what is to come that is exactly what would happen.If you were here when economy went to rail big change of ops we went from 20 to 52 people then in 2months after they uprooted families they cut 25 of those people they just needed to cover the freight till the rail was up and going.Dont think for a minute you will have a warning it wont happen.About seniorty and displacement just go back to the national merger.At least the new ceo is giving express a heads up they will be contract labor,I just hope they will be as honest with freight.

There is no guaranteed freight with fedex freight anymore been that way since 2020. They do and have meet runs with power unit only contractors pulling our trailers.we leave trailers sitting on our yard with 20-30 bills on them for 2-5 days waiting on even trailers coming back,we are never in a rush to get it to the customer.when fedex bought us we found out the day it happened,this change of ops will be the same way.the powers that be do not want a mass exodous if they reveal what is to come that is exactly what would happen.If you were here when economy went to rail big change of ops we went from 20 to 52 people then in 2months after they uprooted families they cut 25 of those people they just needed to cover the freight till the rail was up and going.Dont think for a minute you will have a warning it wont happen.About seniorty and displacement just go back to the national merger.At least the new ceo is giving express a heads up they will be contract labor,I just hope they will be as honest with freight.

I wasn't here for any of that and I wasn't aware that guaranteed wasn't a thing anymore. I just know they had me sitting waiting on freight they called guaranteed.

As for the rest, that goes back to my point of not trusting any company. I do what's in my best interest and I couldn't care less about FedEx or what they do. I've been through enough bad spots in my life, that I overcome them with ease. My household expenses are kept to a minimum and I always keep side work. Lessons learned the hard way, but I learned them.

I wasn't here for any of that and I wasn't aware that guaranteed wasn't a thing anymore. I just know they had me sitting waiting on freight they called guaranteed.

As for the rest, that goes back to my point of not trusting any company. I do what's in my best interest and I couldn't care less about FedEx or what they do. I've been through enough bad spots in my life, that I overcome them with ease. My household expenses are kept to a minimum and I always keep side work. Lessons learned the hard way, but I learned them.
agree.I just dont want anybody to put their head in the sand and not be prepared. I am set and can retire tommorow but i have friends here that are younger and are not ,sounds like you are good and that is wise.So please people stay informed and educated and penny wise and you will be fine.In the last 25 years i have survived numerous up and downs here so i am proof even with dumb decisions on my part it can be done.:joyous:

Look how Watkins ran their system. A good majority of the drivers were contractors. Could definitely see them make the road runs contractors.

They are going to shoot themselves in the foor by iliminating their drivers going to an all base subcontracting company in ground as they intigrate and wipe out their drivers the contractors will sit back and wait and once they wipe out their express drivers the contractors will gain the upper hand go after more money
Alot of their ground contractors look like dhl did just before they went out of buisness look.They throw your stuff on the ground it gets all dented and scratched up like alot of my gym equipment did getting deliverd I use to just watch him do it and shake my head.They drive like absolute fools some of the trucks are all beat up .You can tell they arent company because they get smart and argue with you when you ask not to throw my stuff and say it to heavy and complain i have even ran outside to help him at times to stop him from throwing it on the driveway
Any in express drivers now will most likely be loosing their driver jobs in the next 5 years by the sounds of it the company gets rid of health care insurance cost and liabilities to a certain extent in general, but they will keep the loaders though and maybe some drivers in areas .

You best believe that equity and inclusion will be part of the contractor pay at FedEx Freight, with an emphasis on carbon neutrality.

City contractors will be required to:
1. Have zero emission hand trucks and pallet jacks.
2. Recycle all broken pieces of pallets and submit proof to the EPA.
3. Eat a granola based diet.
4. Carpool with other city drivers, rotating weekly.
5. Change hair colors monthly.

Road contractors will be required to:

1. No longer refer to it as "meet driver" because it sounds like "meat" which kills the planet.
2. Wear hemp based flip-flops.
3. Sell any diesel pickup and trade in for a Prius or other sensible hybrid, if not an electric vehicle.
4. Limited to telling one person a day about the sacrifice a road driver makes thus reducing the carbon dioxide emitted.
5. Tell central dispatch your pronouns when you call in.

This is just a rough draft and will be expanded on as Fedex becomes more woke.

Last edited:
agree.I just dont want anybody to put their head in the sand and not be prepared. I am set and can retire tommorow but i have friends here that are younger and are not ,sounds like you are good and that is wise.So please people stay informed and educated and penny wise and you will be fine.In the last 25 years i have survived numerous up and downs here so i am proof even with dumb decisions on my part it can be done.:joyous:

I can't feel bad for people still putting their heads in the sand.. I also don't feel bad for people that move with the freight. Never trust a corp.

I leaned to plan for retirement early. In 2017, I worked with a lot of older people that had no business doing the kind of warehouse work we were doing. They lost everything in the 08 crash and had no choice. Imagine being in your 60s doing overnight warehouse work for 16/hr. It looks sadder than it sounds.

Interesting tidbit I recently found out.
I have a few buddies that are RTDs for Express. Express has used PT for decades now. Ozark, specifically. This location got 4 runs every 24hrs from Mem hub.
They're giving PT the axe, and are going to run it as a meet point using Express drivers.

Fedex ground is complete trash would never allow a shipper to use them for my deliveries. Been burned to many times if you don't want a frown use BROWN. Looks like UPS will be growing even more.

There is no guaranteed freight with fedex freight anymore been that way since 2020.
NOT exactly. All freight used to be guaranteed, but you had to initiate the request for refund. THAT has been suspended. Guaranteed A.M. is still available, for an upcharge, and the refund on that is automatic.

Last edited:
Look how Watkins ran their system. A good majority of the drivers were contractors. Could definitely see them make the road runs contractors.

I don't know anything about watkins or how they ran. What I do know is that the barrier for entry is lower than it used to be and the glass ceiling is higher than it used to be.

Everybody today thinks they can run a logistics company because they have Internet access and a YouTube account. They see some jackass in a video saying they made 300k last year and think "I can do that", so they go and buy a truck, 6 months later they're selling it for a loss or it's getting repossessed.

My point is that when watkins existed, a person couldn't just wake up and decide to get into an industry. It was also easier to succeed because there were less regulations like paper logs and simpler engines without all the environmental stuff. You had people that knew what they were doing with little to no government interference. Saying FedEx can do Watkins did is like saying Amazon can do what Sears did. Of course they can, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

My son's coach always says just because you can step in the ring, doesn't mean you should. There's levels to this and sometimes people have to learn that the hard way.

Last edited:
This sounds a lot like my barn.

Right now, our meet drivers are getting heads-up thrown their way about cutting runs, then our SCM runs in and tells us theirs jumped the gun and told them when they shouldn't have.

Then, we start bidding the day bid sheets get posted. Yeah, we know where our runs are going and what the posted miles are, but we don't know if they're changing times or anything like that.

Almost every day, our last 1 or 2 runs are canceled because they have 1 or 2 empty pups sent up by a hub that has told us that the freight is there to run all of us loaded every day. Meanwhile, our SCM tells us over and over that PT is cheaper to run than to have us meet empties.

They're about to start starving drivers into quitting. We see it, and many are looking for other employment already.

This sounds a lot like my barn.

Right now, our meet drivers are getting heads-up thrown their way about cutting runs, then our SCM runs in and tells us theirs jumped the gun and told them when they shouldn't have.

Then, we start bidding the day bid sheets get posted. Yeah, we know where our runs are going and what the posted miles are, but we don't know if they're changing times or anything like that.

Almost every day, our last 1 or 2 runs are canceled because they have 1 or 2 empty pups sent up by a hub that has told us that the freight is there to run all of us loaded every day. Meanwhile, our SCM tells us over and over that PT is cheaper to run than to have us meet empties.

They're about to start starving drivers into quitting. We see it, and many are looking for other employment already.
Yes I am, and fedex doesn't care. Safe dependable driver gonna walk if this economy ever gets better. Then they'll be stuck with the racism crying, harassment screaming ever time they don't do their job crew from now on.