FedEx Freight | Greed

Jeff

Looking for Trolls
Administrator
Super Administrator
Credits
This does not affect me so don't think it's sour grapes.

Everybody knows it is a little slow around the LTL industry but we will all make it fine as usual and in a month we will probably be full steam ahead but this is a subject that really ticks me off.

We have drivers at our barn that runs a 550 + mile run every single day then signs up to work on Saturday.... Now when the freight is good it's not much of a big deal, but when times are slow, these saturday runs should go to either road driver that worked 3 days or a dock guy that only had 30 hours on the dock

This is pathetic

Jeff,

I agree, and they should change the extra board to just that, it should be a rotating board so everyone on it works, yes it will end the top spots being taken by senior drivers who can't hold a day bid so they go extra to fill in for off day drivers, but most importantly it will assure everyone that they will get some work, almost like "taking care of our people"

FM

You hit nail on the head with the title. GREED.
Just like the drivers who turn down a 540 mile daytime bid for a 560 mile nighttime bid.
The extra 20 miles and extra few dollars is more important than family time.
I make less in the city but I can count on fingers the kid's ballgames I missed. Wouldn't trade it for all the money in the world.

You know FM I know people have to take care of their families too and if a guy misses a day, I think he is justified working saturday, but if a man is working a full week, it is wrong to take away from the other guys that are working half a week.

I am not working steady, it's no big deal because I have planned for a rainy day for the last 20+ years of my working life and can handle it but some of these guys have kids to take care of and food to put on the table and I just can't see people being greedy like that.

We had a driver like that before here, he done the same thing.... he died at about 45 years old God rest his soul, I bet if he had it to do all over again he would have done it differently

You hit nail on the head with the title. GREED.
Just like the drivers who turn down a 540 mile daytime bid for a 560 mile nighttime bid.
The extra 20 miles and extra few dollars is more important than family time.
I make less in the city but I can count on fingers the kid's ballgames I missed. Wouldn't trade it for all the money in the world.

I miss some of the family activities, I went to the road to enable my wife to quit work so my daughter would have atleast 1 full time parent.... it's an extreme load off your mind to have a wife that can comfort a child when she is sick , go to school functions, volunteer at school and be involved in every aspect of our childs life... That means alot to me too, now I do miss some things I would like to attend but I am totally satisfied knowing atleast one of us are always available to our child 24/7

This is one of the reasons I hate seniority lists. I know that it is a necessay evil and you cannot the other option is putting your faith in dispatchers and terminal managers who are just as screwy.

We see it at my place, especially with the peddle men. We have a no layoff and everybody works, every day. Some days you may only get your 8 hours, other days you will get more.

Well you have dispacthers that keep their buddies out 12-13 hours a day, while other guys are getting called back in at 7.5 or even 4 and asked to work the dock.

It sucks and people really should police themselves, but as this thread says, GREED, takes over most of us.

SAD

This is one of the reasons I hate seniority lists. I know that it is a necessay evil and you cannot the other option is putting your faith in dispatchers and terminal managers who are just as screwy.

We see it at my place, especially with the peddle men. We have a no layoff and everybody works, every day. Some days you may only get your 8 hours, other days you will get more.

Well you have dispacthers that keep their buddies out 12-13 hours a day, while other guys are getting called back in at 7.5 or even 4 and asked to work the dock.

It sucks and people really should police themselves, but as this thread says, GREED, takes over most of us.

SAD

Gotta have seniority lists FOTF... too many friends in this business...

some of the people here would be mowing the TM's grass every week if they could get a couple more hours out of it :hysterical:

Gotta have seniority lists FOTF... too many friends in this business...

some of the people here would be mowing the TM's grass every week if they could get a couple more hours out of it :hysterical:

As Mel Brooks said in History of the World

"Its good to be the king":smilie_132:

well guys greed is not a good thing but it will catch up with the people that have it:nutkick: you know i have seen this at my center to and yes jeff it does tick me and other drivers off when you pass up extra work so others not so fortunate can work, and guys take advantage of that high on the board and take the runs anyway even when you agree with them lets pass this down to the guys that only worked 3 days this week. now that is what im talkin about and it just don't happen at mine and your center its all over,my center is awfull with greed our #1 road driver, his first name is greedy all he cares about is making sure no one is getting more than he is every night,he cares nothing but for himself.:chairshot:

Greed!!!!!!!

It's the same in MI. I on the other hand could care less if i work everyday, i even purposly take day's off so one of the lower senority guy's can work, but that's just me.:duh:

Liberals Stuck On Stupid?

This does not affect me so don't think it's sour grapes.

Everybody knows it is a little slow around the LTL industry but we will all make it fine as usual and in a month we will probably be full steam ahead but this is a subject that really ticks me off.

We have drivers at our barn that runs a 550 + mile run every single day then signs up to work on Saturday.... Now when the freight is good it's not much of a big deal, but when times are slow, these saturday runs should go to either road driver that worked 3 days or a dock guy that only had 30 hours on the dock

This is pathetic
Liberals stuck on stupid, Jeff thats in your post (does not show here?) ....I thought it was the liberals way...SHARE THE WEALTH....and sour grapes, jealous. just read the the post!!..talk about pathetic...I believe in SENIORITY, to many buddy buddys out there......sure the person on the bottom needs to work, but we were all there once...maybe the person working every chance he can has a sick person at home and needs the money....or worse has nobody and working is all they have......liberals stuck on stupid...Jeff with what you have said I just don't understand this one.....maybe we both need to study our politics more......TRUCK SAFE

Jeff,

I agree, and they should change the extra board to just that, it should be a rotating board so everyone on it works, yes it will end the top spots being taken by senior drivers who can't hold a day bid so they go extra to fill in for off day drivers, but most importantly it will assure everyone that they will get some work, almost like "taking care of our people"

FM
taking care of our people , that went away the day we became fedex. now it's just words. that really don't mean anything.

If I have ten acres of land should I give the person with only five acres half my land. I come to work to support me and mine. There was a time I would take a day of with no pay so another person could work till one day a driver said Oh sure you'll take friday off but not Tuesday or something. I think communism failed in most places in the world.

Maybe a little off topic but wont your centers let the newer guys come in and put time in on the dock if they cant build a run for them? Freight's been slow at my center and I havent seen a cab in 2 months (low on the pole dont ya know) but theyre usually more than happy to offer me work on the patio if I want it. It aint no picnic, but between inbound,outbound,FNL, and working the yard they've been giving me my 40.

Maybe a little off topic but wont your centers let the newer guys come in and put time in on the dock if they cant build a run for them? Freight's been slow at my center and I havent seen a cab in 2 months (low on the pole dont ya know) but theyre usually more than happy to offer me work on the patio if I want it. It aint no picnic, but between inbound,outbound,FNL, and working the yard they've been giving me my 40.

Thats the way it works here. Guess its up to the supervisors....

Rotating Board

Jeff,

FM
Familyman a rotating board...........that is just so wrong.......TRUCK SAFE

Greed is in every barn.

I don't have much to say here.
But this surprises you why ?
I rest my case.....

Tin Man welcome to trucking boards. Good to have you along for the ride.:smilie_132: Tell you fellow workers about us.:1036316054: Hang in there and spring will be here before you know it along with more business for all of us.

:nutkick: :chairshot: Its the same at our barn too. Ive tried many times to get a saturday run by signing up on wed. The upper board drivers always wait until friday evening to put their name on the list.Even though I may have only worked 25 hrs. in the city this week,seniority rules. JEFF,I feel your pain and I could not have said it any better myself.