FedEx Freight | Greed

Welcome

Tin Man & hooty thanks for being here with us on the boards.
Please pass the good word about us , thanks and enjoy.

seniority

unfortunatly thats the way it works guys all we can do is pay our dues and who's to say that when we get to the top of the food chain we won't be the same way. remember there is a differance between need and greed! we don't know what drives people to do the things that they do, we can only hope that they show compassion for those in need. be safe and don't forget rule # 6 have fun!!!!!!!

We have the same thing going on around here, the bottom guys are working the dock 4-5 hours a night and then going home early so they may be able to make the next call block. We have several that run 3000 miles a week on a bid then take another 589 on Saturday.

From what I've seen around my barn is many people that live beyond their means. It's really sad to me to see people making a good wage and not have the basic money management skills to make it last or work for them.

I've worked 9 of the last 15 work days so I can spend more time with my kids. My wife is getting sick of seeing me around the house I think though. :lol:

On a side note, I do see plenty of brand new $40,000+ diesel trucks in the parking lot though, they sure are pretty to look at.

roog

edit: This is just a general observation, not pointing out any specifics.

We have the same thing going on around here, the bottom guys are working the dock 4-5 hours a night and then going home early so they may be able to make the next call block. We have several that run 3000 miles a week on a bid then take another 589 on Saturday.

From what I've seen around my barn is many people that live beyond their means. It's really sad to me to see people making a good wage and not have the basic money management skills to make it last or work for them.

I've worked 9 of the last 15 work days so I can spend more time with my kids. My wife is getting sick of seeing me around the house I think though. :lol:

On a side note, I do see plenty of brand new $40,000+ diesel trucks in the parking lot though, they sure are pretty to look at.

roog

edit: This is just a general observation, not pointing out any specifics.
two of those extra 589's a month will make the payment on those 40,000 trucks.like you say living beyond their means.

:biglaugh: Treetrimmer, I hear ya. like one of the guys at our barn said a few days ago, i would work 7 days a week if they would let me. its common knowledge that the man just moved into a 318,000 dollar home, has a 45,000 dollar pickup and bought his daughter a 2500 dollar dollhouse. Do I wish I was making that kind of money? yeah!!!

all I know is it's a senority thing and nothing will ever change until it gets mandated that Sat. work is for those who dont get it thru the week. Dont know bout ya'll but in Day they have only run 1 or 2 runs since b-4 x-mas. But it's funny that those upper fellers said you would'nt see them work on Sat. and now look at who is workin them. Give it time when it gets warm they will stay home then it's your turn.

You know this sounds so familiar. If it not about the pension and why a less senior person doesn’t get his fair share as a driver with more whiskers then it when do I get a new truck if not that its why do the senior drivers get the best weeks for vacations. What ever happen to earning your bones, paying your dues? I once knew a young fellow with a new wife and a new baby. He was out of work and asked me to help. He had some ability as a mechanic so I reached out to a friend of mine at a car dealership. He agreed to give the kid a chance, the first day at work the kid quit. When I asked him why he said they wanted him to start out just changing oil, he wanted to work on the big money jobs. I actually had a young driver ask me why we more senior drivers always got first shot at the best bids, it just not fair. In one of the replies to the original post someone even complained about someone passing a day run to run nights. I thought everybody wanted days. If I bid nights then are they going to cry about that too? I even had a young driver give me crap because I had a nice gold watch. It was Seiko for crying out loud. I don’t think most young folks can even play the games on their play station with going out and finding short cuts. They even have a tv show on cable for that. You know if you are working only 20 hrs a week see if you can’t find a friend or someone to give a little work on the side for cash, (that side steps the deal about not working somewhere else) go out collect scrap metal, work weekends at your favorite watering hole. I’m sure you have a cell phone if you should get a call to work and you should have a pretty good idea when they are most likely to call. You know I once lived in a commune it was great except we ALL almost starved. It takes a village, yeah right. You know just just because you get your pubes don’t mean you have earned your stripes. From the rocking of the cradle to the rolling of coffin someone will always have it better than you. Well I’m starting to get snotty but I think I earned it,can you say the same.

This does not affect me so don't think it's sour grapes.

Everybody knows it is a little slow around the LTL industry but we will all make it fine as usual and in a month we will probably be full steam ahead but this is a subject that really ticks me off.

We have drivers at our barn that runs a 550 + mile run every single day then signs up to work on Saturday.... Now when the freight is good it's not much of a big deal, but when times are slow, these saturday runs should go to either road driver that worked 3 days or a dock guy that only had 30 hours on the dock

Hi guys, just trolling through your site, and thought i'd add my 2 cents worth.
If any of you have read my postings, I don't agree with many of Conway's policies, but on this subject I do.
When there is Sat. work, and usually there is, a sign up sheet goes up Fri. Anyone who wants to can sign it. Sat. work goes by seniority. Here is the catch, anyone who signs up, and has less than 35 hours for the week, gets a shot at working, based on their seniority among the others with less than 35 hours who signed up.
Seems to work rather well, and spreads the wealth around during slow times.
My guess is, sooner or later, you guys will get a similar policy, being as so many of top mgmt. came from Conway.
I'll go back to trolling Truckinboards now.

Seniority Rules, If you did not have this, Favortisim would take its place. Its not greed its there right. Everyone has paid there dues and everyone has been on the bottom at one time or another.

I don't see it as a seniority or a "I paid my dues " issue.
If I'm getting forty and another guy is struggling to get 30-35, I'll head home and let the others get some hours on the dock. Wouldn't be right to keep suckin at the tit while others are hungry.
It's the right thing to do. It's called friendship. Do unto others and all that good stuff. Doesn't kill ya to help people out.

Some of these post make me think you have a choice of when you want to go home? And work at your will. What role does the company play in this? I work at Roadway and I can 't just go home when I want to. Being sick or emergency is another issue.

When it's slow as it is right now, the co has no problem with you leaving and letting someone else work who hasn't gotten any hrs for the week.

Sadly too many feel it's just a seniority thing, and a right. Not enough feel it is the right thing to do.

There are those at the top of the list who would pass a run down but know it'll never make it to the bottom guys. Somewhere between here and there someone will take it, just because they can.....

FM

Some of these post make me think you have a choice of when you want to go home? And work at your will. What role does the company play in this? I work at Roadway and I can 't just go home when I want to. Being sick or emergency is another issue.
:smilie_132: Toxic, I can't speak for other companies, but at Conway, when we are slow, a P&D driver may be asked if he wants to go home early, or a driver can ask to go home early.
Of course, this only happens when it benefits the co., as we do not have a guaranteed 8 hours.:smilie_132:

Seniority Rules, If you did not have this, Favortisim would take its place. Its not greed its there right. Everyone has paid there dues and everyone has been on the bottom at one time or another.

Seniority does not rule at FXFE, if it did then would be top 5 on the road instead of 25 and I would not have to bid my vacation (which is earned through length of service) behind jr drivers
No beef here either, I can deal with it...

Also no beef if a guy misses a day or freight and work is good, but to sit back and work six when guys below them are working 3 is nothing but pure greed.

For many years I have had a saying I go by.... be careful of the toes you step on in life because they may be connected to the *** you have to kiss one day.