Yellow | Huge Management Layoff at UPS

Yes, but it seems like people here don't want to work anymore so what are companies to do? It's all over, restaurants, the trades, etc. :idunno:
Yeah I agree to a point, but, this has been going on for a very long time....I believe it has contributed to wage stagnation.....plus we do have this free market I hear about....

Yeah I agree to a point, but, this has been going on for a very long time....I believe it has contributed to wage stagnation.....plus we do have this free market I hear about....
Well when you can't find a supply of something you need at a price you can afford, you seek out alternate sources. That applies to labor, raw materials, fuel, food, etc., etc.

Good post but what made the teamster successful was regulation.
Unfortunately regulation had far too may downsides.
The teamsters failed to recognize a new world where carriers had to be competitive and lean.
Working as if it were still 1950 killed almost every teamster LTL job.
As we know, regulation brought stability to the market. Yep, it's gone, and volatility has returned. However, now is the time for The Teamsters to rise to the occasion by competing with innovation. I think the original foundation is still good. But it's time for a rebuild, like an old house. They need to incorporate technology to streamline things, and transparency is a must. The Company is not the enemy. If it fails, Teamsters fail. The goal should always be "serving the nation", based on a fair days work for a fair days pay. I don't mean workers, but leaders need to do better at innovation, and stop sitting on their laurels.

I'm not saying management extorts the ATA, im saying the ATA is basically managements "union"...
The companies have made a false case about there being a shortage of American workers to the government, the shortage is in lack of pay and benefits for what the companies want. The government allows the companies to sponsor immigrants because of this so called shortage.
These are instructions on how to do this off the web i found in a quick web search...."secure an eligible job offer from an employer who has the necessary paperwork on their end, including a temporary labor certification for H-2B workers and successful submission and approval of Form I-129. Without a job offer and an employer to sponsor you, you can’t apply for the visa. USCIS (US Citizen and Immigration Services) states that your potential employer must also verify that the work will be temporary (under 12 months), prove a shortage of available US workers, and verify your experience in your field."
I think you might be seeing more immigrants holding steering wheels and assume they're here on H2B visas. Companies don't want to employ folks here on H2B visas.

1) a a condition of granting that employee ability to utilize H2B they have to pay equal or more pay than US Citizen would earn.

2) employers have to provide 3 meals a day.

3) the workers are temp and you need to replace them. ($$ process)

I have a friend that is a data architect for a huge company. They have a couple employees on H2B visas. It's neither easy nor cheap for companies to do. It's their hail Mary when they can't find people qualified to do the work. The government greatly restricted the numbers granted each year. In fact
the allotment for 2024 was filled during the first week of the year.

I think you might be seeing more immigrants holding steering wheels and assume they're here on H2B visas. Companies don't want to employ folks here on H2B visas.

1) a a condition of granting that employee ability to utilize H2B they have to pay equal or more pay than US Citizen would earn.

I have a friend that is a data architect for a huge company. They have a couple employees on H2B visas. It's neither easy nor cheap for companies to do. It's their hail Mary when they can't find people qualified to do the work. The government greatly restricted the numbers granted each year. In fact
the allotment for 2024 was filled during the first week of the year.
In the IT field it's typically H1B, which usually requires degree and some experience.

Yes. They have both types of employees. I am not well versed in the inns and outs. We were complaining over breakfast about our huge illegal immigration problem, and the various work visa programs came up.

1). I never said they work cheaper, what I said is they depress wages by not having a truly free market. If they can pay them 35 cents a mile and they have a few dumb Americans (guys who can't or won't get good jobs) working for that then they are set.
2.) Oh please, do you really think they are going to complain about this? Or they give them a 20 dollar a day stipend. Problem solved.
3.) You hire another one from a competitor and they hire yours. That is one reason truckload has horrendous turnover.
Go to a truck stop or a big shipper and you will see what I mean.
You could also Google "trucking companies that sponsor immigrants" and get many hits.