Yellow | Huge Management Layoff at UPS

That's for now. Amazon is doing most of their own deliveries in major metropolitan areas that have reasonably (or better) high population density. Trouble is, they're now branching out into hauling other entities' packages as well.
So what? What exactly is the problem? Are you against Amazon creating new jobs?
Are you saying that UPS and FedEx can't compete? If so, that is not an Amazon problem.
That is how the economy is supposed to work. Amazon decided that they can give better service at a lower cost by delivering their own products.

That's for now. Amazon is doing most of their own deliveries in major metropolitan areas that have reasonably (or better) high population density. Trouble is, they're now branching out into hauling other entities' packages as well.

Does that not make good business sense?

I'll deliver my own stuff where I have enough stops per mile to be prudent.
I'll hire somebody else to deliver the stuff that cost me more to deliver than the revenue it generates.
Since I'm already going to stop (A), why not piggyback other folks' deliveries on that same stop for a few extra bucks?

Do you foresee that as trouble because soon(ish) those other folks won't have enough volume/profit to employ all those folks?

The more you put on Supervisors and Managers(especially the supervisors) the more frazzled they get. Communication starts to break down between them and the workers, and then bridges are burned and grudges are held. It's a death spiral for morale and it affects everyone.

On Eastern Ave in Baltimore City just east of I think Patterson Park and Highland... sits a old wartime era Breakbulk Dock. You put small Union Trailers in one side. Empty them out. Pile the stuff in the middle.

Back in other small trailers and reload that pile into them for delivery tonight or next morning. They go away, come back empty waiting on a new pile tomorrow.

One day they called me a empty 48 foot reefer to load there and take that stuff into New Haven today. (Connecticut) ok so I find them and wedge that gigantic 48 foot trailer carefully against the dock. Climb up to the single office in one corner.

WHAT!

Sir, I am to load for New Haven...

YES DAMN IT! THAT... LOAD THAT. DONT BOTHER ME **SLams door...

THAT he pointed to was a pile slightly higher than my head and filled the cement space between five docks on this side of building and four docks plus my trailer on that side.

Resturant stuff. Little packets of ketchup, Sweets and lows, spices, pizza pepper hot shakers, plastic and silverware, plates and so on. A pile about oh... 50 feet wide by maybe 70 long and 8 foot in the middle.

I stood there and said... ALL THIS? To New Haven? In THAT? (My trailer)

Boss: WHAT! YES YES YES GET GOING YER LATE ALREADY DAMN IT. ***SLAMS door.

What a day. Organzing and floor loading all that crap. It fit. Weights? Dont ask. It was in New Haven the Following morning. Pay? I think 75 dollars for the trip and maybe 40 to load and unload at 20 each. Before taxes for about 30 hours work.

Its not worth it. Not when you are 21 and dont know a damn thing.

I order from Amazon and they're delivered by Amazon, USPS, Fed Ex and UPS.

FedEx dumped Amazon in 2019 and went into the Walmart business.

Here is a story on why UPS has lost volume...

And this is why they dumped them. FedEx attitude was "we're not going to invest all this money in equipment to help you expand, just so you can dump us when you don't need us".

FedEx attitude was "we're not going to invest all this money in equipment to help you expand, just so you can dump us when you don't need us".

Funny, we had the same attitude towards FedEx back around 2018ish. MIssed the folks, but not the FedEx way of doing business. Ironically, I have an EZTDBW award around somewhere...