Yellow | List time wages

Agreed. The problem is, deregulation mandated pricing in "the zone of reasonableness" without any definition of what that is. I think the de-regulators intended exactly that. Consequently, the only winner here is the consumer. Certainly not the truck lines.
I think the corporations won....I blame deregulation for many factory jobs leaving the country...things can get shipped all over cheaply you don't need as many factories...

I think the corporations won....I blame deregulation for many factory jobs leaving the country...things can get shipped all over cheaply you don't need as many factories...
Factory jobs left because of high taxes, unions and NAFTA...
Any LTL carrier that continues to conduct business after deregulation in the same way they did prior, died off or will soon die off.
That failure is on the carrier/management/union.....
Today many LTL carriers are doing very well and seeing record profits... and paying employees well...
Either change with the times or die....

Agreed. The problem is, deregulation mandated pricing in "the zone of reasonableness" without any definition of what that is. I think the de-regulators intended exactly that. Consequently, the only winner here is the consumer. Certainly not the truck lines.
Kind of like "fair days' wages for a fair days' work" without any definition of what a fair days work is. I think the IBT intended exactly that. Consequently, the only winner here is the lazy Teamster (not to be confused with the hard-working one). Certainly not the truck lines.

Kind of like "fair days' wages for a fair days' work" without any definition of what a fair days work is. I think the IBT intended exactly that. Consequently, the only winner here is the lazy Teamster (not to be confused with the hard-working one). Certainly not the truck lines.
Ex, I don't get it. Us hardworking Teamsters are out of a job. The useless Teamsters are also out of a job. How did they win?

Ex, I don't get it. Us hardworking Teamsters are out of a job. The useless Teamsters are also out of a job. How did they win?
They managed to earn the same as their hard‐working brothers and sisters while doing as little as they could for as long as it lasted. If the company can't hold them accountable their brothers and sisters should, .

They managed to earn the same as their hard‐working brothers and sisters while doing as little as they could for as long as it lasted. If the company can't hold them accountable their brothers and sisters should, .
I'll be perfectly frank, Ex. I was really busy and didn't have time to deal with them. That's management's job, and they weren't doing their job. My only upshot here is that when I looked into the mirror, I am proud of who I saw there. I doubt the "slugs' can say that honestly.

I got to ask....how do you define a "fairs day work"? Is it the same for a 22 year old as a 60 year old? You do realize there are teamsters both younger and older than those ages, so how could it ever be quantified in a contract? Then there are managers who would abuse any power given to them to weed out the " troublemakers" who are only trouble because they file grievances when management doesn't follow (or know) the agreed upon rules....

I blame NAFTA & Fast Track for companies leaving here & moving manufacturing to countries with cheap/slave labor. NAFTA was a disaster for American labor.
Excellent points and I agree, but I think both definitely hurt workers and truck drivers...

I'll be perfectly frank, Ex. I was really busy and didn't have time to deal with them. That's management's job, and they weren't doing their job. My only upshot here is that when I looked into the mirror, I am proud of who I saw there. I doubt the "slugs' can say that honestly.

That is part of management's problem, without a measurable tool from the union on what is a fair day's work, how do you rid the business of the job killers.
In a business with razor thin profit margins a few slugs can mean the difference between surviving and bankruptcy, multiply that by hundreds of terminals it doesn't take long to shut down a company.
Since the teamsters never had a mechanism to dispose of bad workers everyone suffered the consequences of keeping them on the job.
Believe me, everyone knows who the bad actors are on any job...........

blackboxb.jpg

That is part of management's problem, without a measurable tool from the union on what is a fair day's work, how do you rid the business of the job killers.
Hmm....I guess with cameras....which we have.....GPS tracking.....which would tell how long a driver has been sitting.....following the driver if you need to (been done to me because I am trouble who files grievances).... let me tell you a little story. We had a driver make a delivery, drive down the road and take a nap...they had pictures of him sleeping in the truck......my old manager and people in Fort Smith knew what he did and just let him go....

Hmm....I guess with cameras....which we have.....GPS tracking.....which would tell how long a driver has been sitting.....following the driver if you need to (been done to me because I am trouble who files grievances).... let me tell you a little story. We had a driver make a delivery, drive down the road and take a nap...they had pictures of him sleeping in the truck......my old manager and people in Fort Smith knew what he did and just let him go....
Yellow has been known to frequently "waffle" for similar things. What does that accomplish? 1) Gives the offending driver incentive to do it again. 2) Brings reproach on all of us. 3) Eats into the "bottom line". None of these things is good.

I got to ask....how do you define a "fairs day work"? Is it the same for a 22 year old as a 60 year old? You do realize there are teamsters both younger and older than those ages, so how could it ever be quantified in a contract? Then there are managers who would abuse any power given to them to weed out the " troublemakers" who are only trouble because they file grievances when management doesn't follow (or know) the agreed upon rules....
If the pay rate is the same, the expectations are the same. The hardest working teamster I ever had the pleasure to work with worked circles around the youngsters. His son was a hustler too. It was in their makeup.

You believe managers would abuse any power given to them, yet seem to believe that the slugs aren't abusing the power the vague contract provides.

Some routes are going to have a whole lot less stops per hour, bills per hour, tonnage, whatever metric a bean counter wants to assign to measuring the productivity of a given route. Same with breakouts, some are just going to take a whole lot more time than others. Given enough data, you can throw out the outliers and create a reasonable average. If the average can't be met more often than not there needs to exist tools for discipline.

A P&D driver sitting for 20 minutes doesn't tell you whether he's waiting for a door, getting loaded, or sitting on his ass under a tree. Is the dock worker sitting in the :shit:ter for 20 minutes every 4 hours stealing time or sick? What's the contract allow a supervisor to do in any of those instances?

If the pay rate is the same, the expectations are the same. The hardest working teamster I ever had the pleasure to work with worked circles around the youngsters. His son was a hustler too. It was in their makeup.

You believe managers would abuse any power given to them, yet seem to believe that the slugs aren't abusing the power the vague contract provides.

Some routes are going to have a whole lot less stops per hour, bills per hour, tonnage, whatever metric a bean counter wants to assign to measuring the productivity of a given route. Same with breakouts, some are just going to take a whole lot more time than others. Given enough data, you can throw out the outliers and create a reasonable average. If the average can't be met more often than not there needs to exist tools for discipline.
Ex, for a moment I thought you were talking about me! Then it hit me; I don't have a son.

A P&D driver sitting for 20 minutes doesn't tell you whether he's waiting for a door, getting loaded, or sitting on his ass under a tree. Is the dock worker sitting in the :::shit:::ter for 20 minutes every 4 hours stealing time or sick? What's the contract allow a supervisor to do in any of those instances?
The example I gave you does tell you exactly that...camera...that tells you everything you just mentioned....the driver drove away then slept in his truck.... I'm watched and I know it, so I write on my manifest "waited 7 minutes for FedEx in a door before me"....you know why I have never gotten a letter for stealing time? Because I don't.... Yet they waste their time watching me....Wanna know why they watch me? Because I'm a "troublemaker" who holds their feet to the fire...they sign a contract and I don't allow them to violate it....the guy sitting on the ::shit:: ter would get away with that non union too, can't violate his rights....the example I gave the manager had the companies backing to fire the driver...he chose not to do anything...

I have worked non union as well and I have never seen a company do what you are saying...I wonder why that is?....there are plenty of non union slugs....

The example I gave you does tell you exactly that...camera...that tells you everything you just mentioned....the driver drove away then slept in his truck.... I'm watched and I know it, so I write on my manifest "waited 7 minutes for FedEx in a door before me"....you know why I have never gotten a letter for stealing time? Because I don't.... Yet they waste their time watching me....Wanna know why they watch me? Because I'm a "troublemaker" who holds their feet to the fire...they sign a contract and I don't allow them to violate it....the guy sitting on the ::::shit:::: ter would get away with that non union too, can't violate his rights....the example I gave the manager had the companies backing to fire the driver...he chose not to do anything...
Camera doesn't tell you that. Guy gets out of his truck to "check in with security and get assigned a door". Camera is filming an empty cab. Driver is sitting on his ass in the shade, playing a few hands of pinnacle with his compadres.

The folks NOT stealing time are not the problem.

The folks that are doing a whole lot less than a "fair days' work" without stealing time are the problem.

I have worked non union as well and I have never seen a company do what you are saying...I wonder why that is?....there are plenty of non union slugs....
There have been LTL carriers with productivity quotas. There are Teamster warehousing contracts with performance/productivity quotas.

None of this bull crap about a fair days' work, whatever that is. You know the we'll know when we see it but can't do anything about it instances.