XPO | Little Stuff...

I doubt it. That would make to much sense. We can’t do anything that makes sense

It would be nice though. Talking to guys that run for LTLs that do meets. It's a massive operational savings for the company. Less congested reships. Takes away opportunities for management to create more work, breaking trailers just for the sake of numbers. You'd think with as much as Jacobs says that he's into technology. That there would be a push towards meets.

It would be nice though. Talking to guys that run for LTLs that do meets. It's a massive operational savings for the company. Less congested reships. Takes away opportunities for management to create more work, breaking trailers just for the sake of numbers. You'd think with as much as Jacobs says that he's into technology. That there would be a push towards meets.
It would be hell on the outbound FOS. He would have to actually look at his freight and plan on pures to send to meets

It would be hell on the outbound FOS. He would have to actually look at his freight and plan on pures to send to meets

The computers probably already do this. And then they just plow stuff in and pull the door.

We used to do this all on our own. Dumbass truck drivers worked the outbound docks and loaded the lanes. Would look at the freight and put stuff together. Made headloads and pures all the time. No scanners needed. Remember those days ??? But what do we know. This way is better. Duh.

The computers probably already do this. And then they just plow stuff in and pull the door.

We used to do this all on our own. Dumbass truck drivers worked the outbound docks and loaded the lanes. Would look at the freight and put stuff together. Made headloads and pures all the time. No scanners needed. Remember those days ??? But what do we know. This way is better. Duh.
Computer, I believe only makes the next destination pure. My barn makes XMI and XHG loads. Outbound has to look and see if finial destination pure is possible. As for head loads forget about it. I’ve looked at my manifest and so that we could of made a headload.

A 1000 likes!!! As much as we are overlooked , truck drivers may be most of these companies most valuable asset. And these folks in charge never realize this.

Early 90s I used to run XAU, 1 FOS + 1 temp girl to run copying machine. 70 to 90 drivers ran into there at night, thats 140 to 180 trailers, 1 fos THAT NEVER LEFT OFFICE, drivers broke and loaded everything. i have no idea of tonnage or bill count or motor moves, did NOT matter. We built headloads and cleared lost freight. At sunrise dock was clear and set up for city ops.But now we have computers and handhelds and no headloads. This is progress?

Early 90s I used to run XAU, 1 FOS + 1 temp girl to run copying machine. 70 to 90 drivers ran into there at night, thats 140 to 180 trailers, 1 fos THAT NEVER LEFT OFFICE, drivers broke and loaded everything. i have no idea of tonnage or bill count or motor moves, did NOT matter. We built headloads and cleared lost freight. At sunrise dock was clear and set up for city ops.But now we have computers and handhelds and no headloads. This is progress?
We were Better compensated back then and they hired motivated people. Top pay , Fully company paid pension on top of the 401 k we get . Excellent insurance that we payed zero for. Excellent bonus , safety merit pay . We got all our vacation at the beginning of the year. 10 paid sick days and more . We get none of that now. We worked hard because the job was worth it .

You guys that have been here less than 18-20 yrs have no idea how incentivized we were . It was a good deal back then and we knew .

Last edited:
We were Better compensated back then and they hired motivated people. Top pay , Fully company paid pension on top of the 401 k we get . Excellent insurance that we payed zero for. Excellent bonus , safety merit pay . We got all our vacation at the beginning of the year. 10 paid sick days and more . We get none of that now. We worked hard because the job was worth it .

You guys that have been here less than 18-20 yrs have no idea how incentivized we were . It was a good deal back then and we knew .
Great points.

In my opinion drivers were appreciated for their value to the company. Even by the management that may not like drivers , they still respected drivers.

Now , you have people in charge that will spend all kinds of money EVERYWHERE ELSE ( computers , software , college graduates , big shots from other companies , stock buybacks , you name it ) instead of listening to and investing in your drivers.

Like almost everything else in life you get out of people(drivers) what you put into people(drivers)

In my 15 years here, I don’t think I’ve ever felt respected by the company. Appreciated, yes, many years ago. But respected as a driver, no. I used to do a lot of training when new programs and equipment came out. I did it because I like to train people and I think I’m good at it. Now, I won’t train a new driver. I offer management an idea I have and that’s the end of the conversation. They don’t need me or my ideas. I come in every night, do my job to the best of my ability and go home. No more, no less. Call me jaded. I guess life has taught me to feel this way.

Back in the day, we used to call XAU the rock. Don't know if any other terminal called it that. Jean ran the reship when I ran in there.

And you get what you pay for. So, it doesn't bother me at all for things to be the way they are. It's his company. My CDL is good any where. Whatever is gonna happen is gonna happen. I ain't got a dime in it. Con-way I did. Literally, and honestly. I believed in that company. Owned stock in it. Was proud of it. Not XPO.

This whole virus thing has people around here looking even harder at leaving. After the slow down is over. Layoffs and closures have passed. It's going to be the perfect time to be somewhere else. Just like 2008-2009. Once it's over. Freight will pick up. And everyone will be hiring. You'll get a lot of seniority very quickly.

Great points.

In my opinion drivers were appreciated for their value to the company. Even by the management that may not like drivers , they still respected drivers.

Now , you have people in charge that will spend all kinds of money EVERYWHERE ELSE ( computers , software , college graduates , big shots from other companies , stock buybacks , you name it ) instead of listening to and investing in your drivers.

Like almost everything else in life you get out of people(drivers) what you put into people(drivers)

A lot of truth. He has invested billions into everything he can make an excuse to invest in, except the people.

In my 15 years here, I don’t think I’ve ever felt respected by the company. Appreciated, yes, many years ago. But respected as a driver, no. I used to do a lot of training when new programs and equipment came out. I did it because I like to train people and I think I’m good at it. Now, I won’t train a new driver. I offer management an idea I have and that’s the end of the conversation. They don’t need me or my ideas. I come in every night, do my job to the best of my ability and go home. No more, no less. Call me jaded. I guess life has taught me to feel this way.

It starts with me. Do the right thing. Go the extra mile. That's all Con-way. Con-way is dead. XPO is just a pay check.

And you get what you pay for. So, it doesn't bother me at all for things to be the way they are. It's his company. My CDL is good any where. Whatever is gonna happen is gonna happen. I ain't got a dime in it. Con-way I did. Literally, and honestly. I believed in that company. Owned stock in it. Was proud of it. Not XPO.

This whole virus thing has people around here looking even harder at leaving. After the slow down is over. Layoffs and closures have passed. It's going to be the perfect time to be somewhere else. Just like 2008-2009. Once it's over. Freight will pick up. And everyone will be hiring. You'll get a lot of seniority very quickly.
Well-said. I came to Conway during the 2008-09 ‘Depression’. Bided my time there for a while, then moved to greener pastures. It was a planned temporary stopover for me until the economy improved...which it did. And will again.

Back in the day, we used to call XAU the rock. Don't know if any other terminal called it that. Jean ran the reship when I ran in there.
Yeah, The Rock, Doug was there then, heck of a fos, then "you guys know what to do" now "welcome to pre-school" heard he went north to a tm position later.

Driving is quickly being downgraded from a career to no more than a job. As long as that continues and drivers don’t stand up for themselves in some way it will become less attractive alternative for newbies. Market pressures alone will not change this course .